Vehicle idea

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Virtuo Alegan
Lost One

Vehicle idea

Post by Virtuo Alegan »

If anyone here is well-versed in the ways of creating new vehicles, there is one that I think would highly benefit us in terms of realism.

I've been a part of JEDI for 2 years (damn!) and throughout that time, I have seen many characters get injured, sometimes pretty badly. A broken leg here, a concussion there, some children being thrown/falling down elevator shafts. But people usually end up going about their daily lives as if nothing really happened.

We all know how advanced technology is in star wars, beyond anything we've ever seen before, and the EU has expanded upon that. But I believe that we may be missing something to give medical treatment more of a seriousness. What you may ask?

A hoverchair.

In Attack of the Clones, we saw Cliegg Lars confined to a hover chair after his leg was severed from his body. But a vehicle mimicking that chair in Jedi Academy has yet to exist. Though I do believe it's possible. While the steps may appear simple, I'm not sure if the application would be as easy, positioning of the player and everything. I'm willing to work with another to possibly make this a reality.

Let me know your thoughts, and if anyone is interested in taking up such a project, let's hear it!
Virtuo Alegan | Homeworld: Corellia | Species: Epicanthix | Age: 39 | Next Birthday: 343.10 | Rank: Masterless Padawan | Initiated: 314.09 | Noviced: 317.08| Mentors: Kiwron Tirladdik/Rash Loist/Delmi N'jork | Apprenticed: 317.13 | Pilot License: PL-1
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Re: Vehicle idea

Post by Delmi N'jork »

That's not a bad idea at all and it would be 100% doable. Just have to find someone willing to model it and rig it for JKA!
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Virtuo Alegan
Lost One

Post by Virtuo Alegan »

Forogt to mention the possible use of an existing chair model, the black armchair (I think it's under imperial?). The bad guy on t2_rogue sits in it. Just cut off the base.
Virtuo Alegan | Homeworld: Corellia | Species: Epicanthix | Age: 39 | Next Birthday: 343.10 | Rank: Masterless Padawan | Initiated: 314.09 | Noviced: 317.08| Mentors: Kiwron Tirladdik/Rash Loist/Delmi N'jork | Apprenticed: 317.13 | Pilot License: PL-1
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Yes, that is possible. And it would take out the step of having to model something from scratch. That just leaves finding someone who can get a model ready to be used as a vehicle.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

Yep, there is a model/skin of a stretcher that could fit this bill in the game. That model would need to be reimported and converted into a vehicle. In theory it could be done, but there are a few practical hurdles that would have to be tested for and overcome, such as moving the vehicle with the player lying on it.

We can't really have a custom animation for the vehicle, so the question is who is driving it and how, and can the injured player actually remain on top of the vehicle as it moves. Doable, but there's quite a few finicky technical challenges to face. We'd need someone experienced in making vehicles for the game to really pull this off.

The only person I know who could do this in the JK community is Inyri, but she's retired.
Homeworld: Coruscant (Level 1243) | Species: Pantoran | Age: 15 | Born: 329.02 | Initiated: 342.06 | Apprenticed: 343.02 | Mentor: Jel'a Vra

Inventory: Skimboard, Comlink, Datapad (Custom Modified), Training Lightsaber
Jago Mirax
Lost One

Post by Jago Mirax »

I may be able to take a look.

I especially like the idea of the floating stretcher, I can see it being used regularly. I've never rigged a vehicle for JKA but I've got enough experience with character rigging and 3DS Max to give it a shot!

| Birthdate: 322.21 ABY | Age: 61 |

Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

Take an existing vehicle of a similar function, import it and have a look at the tags. They play a key role in the vehicle's behaviour.

I can help you with the VEH file. There's a big bug with the VEH implementations in JKA, so we are severely limited in what we can do when creating vehicles that don't confine to the existing vehicle types, but we can still manage to pull it off somehow.
Homeworld: Coruscant (Level 1243) | Species: Pantoran | Age: 15 | Born: 329.02 | Initiated: 342.06 | Apprenticed: 343.02 | Mentor: Jel'a Vra

Jago Mirax
Lost One

Post by Jago Mirax »

I like the idea of modeling it from scratch as I'm not sure there is a fair and accurate representation that could be modified easily to see this idea 'come to life'. Perhaps one of the medbay beds would work but there would be a lot of remodeling involved.

I'm away in Rome this weekend but I'll take a look when I get back. That sounds helpful Cerez! Additionally, if anyone knows of any models that could be used and reworked to fit the bill then let me know.

| Birthdate: 322.21 ABY | Age: 61 |

Virtuo Alegan
Lost One

Post by Virtuo Alegan »

If we want to recycle existing models. For a stretcher I think using the same model as our med bay beds would do the trick. I'm no where near my JKA disc at the moment, but I think during t1_inter, Rosh is learning on a strange looking bed, that could also work.

For the hoverchair, only model that comes to mind is the black armchair from t2_rogue that Lannik Racto sits on, just chop off the bottom base.

For configuring the .veh files, I think if we use a similar template to how the astromech droids behave, just make the player visible, should work. Anyone confined to these devices shouldn't have the ability to run some poor victim over because....reasons.

Now of course the main issue with all of this would be the spawning, if we added in a spawner for these vehicles in the med bay somewhere, it would negate us having to have a Knight spawn one everytime someone crippled/injured wants to come online. Perhaps attach it to A-48?
Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

Virtuo Alegan wrote:If we want to recycle existing models. For a stretcher I think using the same model as our med bay beds would do the trick. I'm no where near my JKA disc at the moment, but I think during t1_inter, Rosh is learning on a strange looking bed, that could also work.

For the hoverchair, only model that comes to mind is the black armchair from t2_rogue that Lannik Racto sits on, just chop off the bottom base.

For configuring the .veh files, I think if we use a similar template to how the astromech droids behave, just make the player visible, should work. Anyone confined to these devices shouldn't have the ability to run some poor victim over because....reasons.

Now of course the main issue with all of this would be the spawning, if we added in a spawner for these vehicles in the med bay somewhere, it would negate us having to have a Knight spawn one everytime someone crippled/injured wants to come online. Perhaps attach it to A-48?
That sounds like a perfect idea, giving A-48 a single spawn dialogue to spawn the stretcher, I'd also suggest setting it to Knight to avoid people abusing it when no-ones on the server.
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Virtuo Alegan
Lost One

Post by Virtuo Alegan »

Evanin Dawnstar wrote:
Virtuo Alegan wrote:If we want to recycle existing models. For a stretcher I think using the same model as our med bay beds would do the trick. I'm no where near my JKA disc at the moment, but I think during t1_inter, Rosh is learning on a strange looking bed, that could also work.

That sounds like a perfect idea, giving A-48 a single spawn dialogue to spawn the stretcher, I'd also suggest setting it to Knight to avoid people abusing it when no-ones on the server.
Good idea, however I think the minimum rank should be Padawan.
Arven Silaan
Lost One

Post by Arven Silaan »

To be honest I like the idea but have a few doubts about its implementation. Firstly I feel that giving this option will see a rise in poorly rpd injuries, simply so people can use the chair/stretcher.

This is highlighted by saying it should be spawnable at a-48. There shouldn't be that many injuries that cripple people that it gets to a point knights are being harassed to come and spawn it.

Remember the example given was a man that had -no- legs. So injuries would have to be close to this (both legs broken) which simply doesn't happen (that often). I just feel as if this will make little Johnny sprain his ankle and want a chair. The usual injuries we see roleplayed don't require a chair. Just a bit of common sense to act like you're using crutches for a week.

Virtuo Alegan
Lost One

Post by Virtuo Alegan »

Arven Silaan wrote:To be honest I like the idea but have a few doubts about its implementation. Firstly I feel that giving this option will see a rise in poorly rpd injuries, simply so people can use the chair/stretcher.

This is highlighted by saying it should be spawnable at a-48. There shouldn't be that many injuries that cripple people that it gets to a point knights are being harassed to come and spawn it.

Remember the example given was a man that had -no- legs. So injuries would have to be close to this (both legs broken) which simply doesn't happen (that often). I just feel as if this will make little Johnny sprain his ankle and want a chair. The usual injuries we see roleplayed don't require a chair. Just a bit of common sense to act like you're using crutches for a week.
I do agree, however given that timespan has been left unclear for god knows how long, it's very difficult to determine how long a JEDI week would last as opposed to a normal week.

If we followed the exact same formula, it would be something like this.

1 JEDI year = 1 RL month/Approx 30.4 days
1 JEDI cycle = 3 JEDI months = Approx 91.25 days
1 RL day = 13 JEDI days

But unfortunately since time is so vague, it's impossible to tell how long a JEDI week would really be. Only medical personnel should be permitted to spawn a stretcher/chair and will say exactly how long the character will be in it PROVIDED they are crippled.

Additionally, there have been a number of injuries that WOULD cripple someone but we wave off as "meh, it happens", like children falling down the elevator shafts or someone falling off the enclave in the front yard. That would at the very LEAST break both legs or kill someone.

The hoverchair/stretcher should instead be a sort of "punishment" in my opinion.
Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

I second medical personnel Padawan and above rank for the spawning. I think we should give our members that much trust not to abuse it, and deal with disrespectful misuse accordingly.

An Initiate or a non-medical personnel should have no real reason to be spawning a medical stretcher.