Location-Based Music

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Wik Maro
Lost One

Location-Based Music

Post by Wik Maro »

Greetings!

About a year ago I decided that I wanted to see music in Jedi Academy change depending on which room you are in, to add a unique feeling for each room of the temple. I stopped working on this for a while, but decided a week ago to release a beta version of it for everyone to see. Unfortunately, it only works on Windows with the regular version Jedi Academy 1.01 (openJK probably won't work). It's open source, if you want to see how I made it. Use my work however you want.

Introduction:

LBM (Location-Based Music) is a program that allows for autonomous music changes when you walk through doors in Jedi Academy. This is accomplished by creating trigger boxes, one at each side of the door. The last one you walk through decides which music will play next. It sends the command to change the music through a background console window that belongs to Jedi Academy.

A .ini file included with LBM beta stores all of the trigger information. It stores the names of the triggers, the first and second sets of XYZ coordinates, and of course the music to change to when you are between the first and second set of coordinates (when you are within the created trigger box).

It only works with the Rannon Praxeum map at the moment, because I haven't figured out how to get my program to detect the current map. I created a ton of music triggers at the doors of that map and assigned different songs to each one. The Readme tells you more about editing what plays and where as well as what bugs I've managed to find.

A demonstration:
Youtube Video

Direct Download Link:
Linky

Enjoy and feel free to give suggestions and tell me about bugs.
-Abrum S. (Wik Maro)
Dithaal
Lost One

Re: Location-Based Music

Post by Dithaal »

Sounds interesting!

Name:Dithaal|Birthdate:322.31 ABY|Initiated:336.21 ABY|
Noviced: 338.18 ABY|Apprenticed:340.27 ABY|Mentor:Delmi N'jork |
Knighted:347.15 ABY | Apprentice(s): |
Position(s):Battlemaster - 348.02 -357.31 Image
Lay down your head, closing your eyes. Let the bed of grass, heal your mind. For when you open your eyes young pupa, all will be right.

Vathius Krai
Lost One

Post by Vathius Krai »

This is so brilliant!
I also have a suggestion. Do you think you could specify more than a soundtrack to play randomly in the same place/location ?
This would be actually pretty cool in the future, great work mate :wink:
Wik Maro
Lost One

Post by Wik Maro »

Thanks @ you both. :) That is a fantastic suggestion. I like that it would keep any one thing from being overused.
Aelon Besarat
Lost One

Post by Aelon Besarat »

If this does become a thing that we use...

Imagine studying in the Archives to Duel of the Fates. Surely everyone would want to do homework then! :lol:
Aelon Besarat // Species: Nautolan // Born: 330.27 // Homeworld: Glee Anselm
Former Mentor: Wrennin Vae
Former Rank: Padawan
Initiated: 343.01 // Apprenticed: 343.16 // Abdicated: 347.18
Wik Maro
Lost One

Post by Wik Maro »

That would be pretty epic indeed. It would work well when you're reading war history. :D