[SPOILERS] SW Ep. VII: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread

Discussions which are Out of Character.
The Jedi Council
Jedi Council

[SPOILERS] SW Ep. VII: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread

Post by The Jedi Council »

Unless you've been trapped on a lonely moon somewhere in the depths of Wild Space, you'll know that Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens is due to be released globally imminently.

The Jedi Council have established this thread for the purpose of allowing all members of the community (and guests) to enjoy discussing the events of the film, without spoiling it for others who have yet to view it.

Other threads containing details regarding The Force Awakens will be deleted from the ::JEDI:: Comport without prior warning. Any member or guest caught deliberately posting spoilers for the film on either the servers or the forums (outside of this thread) shall be reprimanded and shall also expect to face harsh consequences enforced by the Jedi Council.

Additionally, while Skype is not an official platform endorsed by the ::JEDI:: Community, we ask our members to please be considerate of others before posting status updates that may potentially spoil The Force Awakens before others have had the chance to see it.

Once you have viewed the film, you are welcome to respond to this thread and prompt thoughts and discussion. The Jedi Council would like to wish everyone an enjoyable experience at their local cinema!

The Jedi Council of Duneeden

Amalia Feyn
Lost One

Re: [SPOILERS] SW Ep. VII: The Force Awakens Discussion Thre

Post by Amalia Feyn »

Just got back from seeing it (for once Australia got to see something first).

So many mixed feelings, I'm not sure what to think, a lot of parallels to a New Hope but still feels very different. No massive issues like the prequels. I'm intrigued for episode 8.

I love Rey and Finn, two great new characters :D

These are just my first impression thoughts, just got home and I'm quite tired. Looking forward to deep discussion once everyone else has seen it.
Wen-Ordo
Lost One

Post by Wen-Ordo »

Amalia Feyn wrote:Just got back from seeing it (for once Australia got to see something first).

So many mixed feelings, I'm not sure what to think, a lot of parallels to a New Hope but still feels very different. No massive issues like the prequels. I'm intrigued for episode 8.

I love Rey and Finn, two great new characters :D

These are just my first impression thoughts, just got home and I'm quite tired. Looking forward to deep discussion once everyone else has seen it.
I'm soo jealous right now, I don't get to see it until tomorrow! oh god .. :shock:
|Full name:Wen-Ordo | Age: 88 | Initiated: 327.21 ABY|Noviced: 329.03 ABY |
| Apprenticed: 329.04 ABY | Knighted: 340.20 ABY |Mentor: Amalia Feyn|
|Padawans: Voh Phaar, Krask Kabal,Dariun Antane, Aren Kelpor |
| Species: Vurk| Homeworld: Sembla/Tatooine|
Salvong
Exiled

Post by Salvong »

I'm going for the midnight release tonight. I'm so hyped. *_*

Age: 15 | Species: Farghul | Initiated: 343.14 | Apprenticed: 343.24 | Mentor: Syrena Exan |

Noviced: 344.29 |
Jel'a Vra
Lost One

Post by Jel'a Vra »

I just saw it. OMG it's beautiful! Too fast paced perhaps after the first part, but really great, nice story choices imo, yeah *very* similar to episode IV, but I sort of appreciate the desire to start from there, I totally look forward to see the next film.
I'm very satisfied with this one so far :)
Species: Zabrak | Homeworld: Iridonia | Birthdate: 310.22 | Initiated: 321.15 | Mentor: Des Anaro | Padawan: Cerez Kay | Skin: Link
Jago Mirax
Lost One

Post by Jago Mirax »

Got out ten minutes ago.

I just...don't know yet.

| Birthdate: 322.21 ABY | Age: 61 |

Salvong
Exiled

Post by Salvong »

I'm disappointed with Kylo Ren to be honest. There are a few quirks with a few of the mains but overall I enjoyed the movie.

RIP one of the, if not the best, characters in the SW Universe! :'(

Age: 15 | Species: Farghul | Initiated: 343.14 | Apprenticed: 343.24 | Mentor: Syrena Exan |

Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

Salvong wrote:I'm disappointed with Kylo Ren to be honest. There are a few quirks with a few of the mains but overall I enjoyed the movie.

Edit that just a tiny bit, the last part is something of a major spoiler, as the original post said, avoid spoilers.

Other than that, I loved the whole thing because it had far more action than the originals and you see the main characters evolve onscreen throughout the movie. I'm looking forward to the next one, especially after the way it ended.
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Salvong
Exiled

Post by Salvong »

Evanin Dawnstar wrote:
Salvong wrote:I'm disappointed with Kylo Ren to be honest. There are a few quirks with a few of the mains but overall I enjoyed the movie.

Edit that just a tiny bit, the last part is something of a major spoiler, as the original post said, avoid spoilers.

Other than that, I loved the whole thing because it had far more action than the originals and you see the main characters evolve onscreen throughout the movie. I'm looking forward to the next one, especially after the way it ended.
I don't need to edit it because the thread itself says in caps 'SPOILERS', as well as the first post saying that we are allowed to discuss events that occurred in the film. That death is an event.

I agree with you on the action. That was really great, and I have to say that I had a little fansqueal when I saw Luke at the very end.

Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

TBH I think we need a [spoiler] tag in the BBcode for posts.

As for the ending, me and my brother decided to stand all through the credits just to see if they snuck anything in at the end, sadly they didn't.
And despite how little screen time she got, I LOVED Gwendoline Christie's performance, is it just me or does she come off as sassy in her final bit?

Here's something thought provoking, in the film there is mention of 'Where the Jedi began' but what planet do you think they are talking about?

Could it be following tradition and be Tython or have they invented one?
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Athan Marr
Lost One

Post by Athan Marr »

Just seen the movie myself I liked it, the actors were great in my opinion, the story was okay, but overall I enjoyed it but I felt it could have been better. I hope episode 8 explains more and definitely looking forward to rogue one coming out next year.
Species:Human | Age:Early-Thirties | Homeworld:Dantooine | Mentor:Nico Keztor

Duncan Therin
Lost One

Post by Duncan Therin »

I just got home, I'm typing this up and I saw it finished just over an hour ago, I had one of the first showings where I am. I loved the movie, it was amazing, I was really worried that it was going to end up being bad. I, personally, wasn't a fan of continuing the series, I thought it ended very well. The ending really was a cliff hanger in my opinion, I don't want to say too much and mention names despite this being a spoiler area to gossip and what not! However, the fact that he didn't say anything just made it more powerful and even more of a cliff hanger, I'm looking forward to episode 8 in the next three years, I feel like this one is going to be milked for awhile, certainly getting it on DVD when it becomes available.

There are so many questions I have, can't wait to discuss this more in depth with you guys, to be completely honest about Kylo, I find it hard (given his parents) that he is as homely as he is (or maybe that's just my opinion?) kinda' a downer in that regard, but it's nothing more than a visual effect. The plot was intriguing and kept me interested, I can't speak about it, honestly. I liked how they developed Chewy to be honest, I like the humor they added for him. There are many things I desire to say, looking forward to the discussion.

Additionally, tons of references to "A New Hope" episode 4 (1 if you don't count the prequels) it was almost nostalgic. I saw it everywhere the movie went, little ticks of the movie, really interesting. Like Jel'a said though, I can appreciate them wanting to start at the beginning, what with the new cast and director/plot.

In conclusion, I will now horde and make idols and shrines out of the popcorn bucket, tickets, and photos I got while I was there....

Name: Duncan Therin | Birthdate: 330.01 ABY | Homeworld: Sembla | Species: Vurk | Languages: Basic, (understands) Binary, Huttese, Semblan | Initiated: 338.14 ABY | Noviced: 341.09 ABY | Apprenticed: 343.02 ABY | Knighted: 354.24 ABY l Mentor: Motoko Isawa, 343.02-347.26 ABY | Padawan(s): Dorian Reyn

Coren Ran
Lost One
Location: Rannon, Rannon System, Instrop Sector, Outer Rim Territories

Post by Coren Ran »

Coming out of hibernation for this one.

I admit to having much of the plot spoiled to me beforehand. Did it ruin my enjoyment? No, but it did take away a lot of the shock of some scenes. In it's place the shock was filled with extended emotion that I would have felt anyways. It's unfortunate, but I still walked out like I learned something new about Star Wars.

The new cast shines bright. Poe is possibly my favourite of the three, and it's unfortunate because he's not granted the same screen time as the others, but when he does, fantastic. Finn is great, and Rey is shaping to (probably) make a new strong lead for the trilogy.

As for the First Order characters, Snoke is someone I can't wait to see more of, and his role explained more. General Hux is like a younger Tarkin, but with more "Oomph".

And lastly.. Phasma. Gwendoline Christie nails every scene she's in.

A lot of my thoughts in hindsight are shared by Jeremy Jahns' review. His video is well worth a look.
| mentor_xa'o.zalei | padawans_atrux.nuro/zekii.abrak/agitt.tanwa/rei.xaria/nico.keztor/jerex.sol/krei'dexx'onubi/wolo.tay |
Aelon Besarat
Lost One

Post by Aelon Besarat »

Coren Ran wrote:Coming out of hibernation for this one.

I admit to having much of the plot spoiled to me beforehand. Did it ruin my enjoyment? No, but it did take away a lot of the shock of some scenes. In it's place the shock was filled with extended emotion that I would have felt anyways. It's unfortunate, but I still walked out like I learned something new about Star Wars.

The new cast shines bright. Poe is possibly my favourite of the three, and it's unfortunate because he's not granted the same screen time as the others, but when he does, fantastic. Finn is great, and Rey is shaping to (probably) make a new strong lead for the trilogy.

As for the First Order characters, Snoke is someone I can't wait to see more of, and his role explained more. General Hux is like a younger Tarkin, but with more "Oomph".

And lastly.. Phasma. Gwendoline Christie nails every scene she's in.

A lot of my thoughts in hindsight are shared by Jeremy Jahns' review. His video is well worth a look.
This. All of this.

I just got home from seeing it and I can without a shred of doubt in mind say that this is my favourite Star Wars film--including the holiday special--simply due to the sheer quality of the film.

At no point to me did the acting ever seem dull, at no point did any joke not land with the audience that I attended the showing with, each moment that played the heartstrings played them like a master harpist. And I don't know if anyone expected just how powerful the final confrontation was or the plot twist that was so masterfully devised to the point where they had completely led us off the scent till we were actually viewing the film for ourselves.

In as single two hours and thirty minutes, Kylo Ren was not only a better character than Anakin but my friend also commented that throughout the single film he never whined or complained like Anakin; the fit of anger he had, I felt, was rather to be expected of a 'Sith'.

Most of all? I could not only identify relate to and fall in love with all of the characters but it also it left me with enough questions, who is this Snoke? How did they learn the ways of the Dark Side? Who are Rey's parents? What is that final planet? And so on.
Aelon Besarat // Species: Nautolan // Born: 330.27 // Homeworld: Glee Anselm
Former Mentor: Wrennin Vae
Former Rank: Padawan
Initiated: 343.01 // Apprenticed: 343.16 // Abdicated: 347.18
Jerex Sol
Lost One

Post by Jerex Sol »

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD

Species: Arkanian| Born: 302.23| Languages: Arkanian, Basic| Initiated: 316.17| Noviced: 320.25 | Knighted: 340.20 | Mastered: 372.03