Assignment to Undisclosed Planet

The official channel for delivery mission reports to the Council, as well as an archive for past missions.

Moderators: Jedi Masters, Jedi Knights

Joar Hasmal
Lost One

Assignment to Undisclosed Planet

Post by Joar Hasmal »

Overview/Mission Name
Name: Joar Hasmal
Date(s):406.31-407.01
Members of the Jedi Order present: Dexen Cass, Emma Vilume
Jedi Council Clearance
Information available to Council+ and mission attendees.
  • The three of us were sent out to an unknown planet in uncharted space to investigate a distress call sent out by a former member of our Order, Master Dithaal. While we were able to locate the source of the distress signal, we were unable to determine what caused it to be transmitted in the first place.
  • We discovered the planet to be steeped heavily in Dark Side energies. The spirits of the long-dead casually roamed the surface of the planet. One cave that was previously inhabited by the aforementioned former member of the Order had such a strong tie to the Dark Side that the three of us encountered strong hallucinations upon entering it. According to local folklore, "The Dance of the Dead" was a Force-related phenomenon which occurred every few millennia. On a specific night, the spirits of the dead would attack and attempt to kill all life on the planet.
  • While on the planet, our group was faced with a moral dilemma. We could either return a Dark Side artifact to a group of tribal Talz heavily corrupted by the Dark Side so that they could use the relic to survive the phenomenon mentioned above, or use the relic as it was intended by its original maker: to somehow manipulate the spirits of the dead and inherit their knowledge.
  • Padawan Emma Vilume and I believed that the relic should be returned so that the Talz could be saved. Padawan Dexen Cass and a local Talz that had been taken by Master Dithaal as a student believed that the tribe's corruption justified their deaths, and that the ritual should be undertaken.
  • Neither an agreement or a compromise could be reached, and a fight broke out. With all other options exhausted, I finally called upon Ashla for the strength and guidance needed to commit to the right decision. She imbued me with her strength long enough to telekinetically push Dexen and the Talz student aside. The student was killed accidentally in the process.
  • The relic was promptly returned to the tribe, which then used a blood sacrifice to create a shield to protect themselves and us from the oncoming storm of dead spirits. We fought them off until morning, though narrowly survived.
Related Events
Links to either potential or confirmed related events/stories/missions
Potential: N/A
Confirmed: N/A
Summary and Actions
An opinion offered by the reportee and their recommended actions.
Shares with same clearance with the highest used section above

In my opinion, this assignment serves as an example to how a lack of teamwork and coordination can interfere with a mission. The attempt made by the student of a self-exiled Jedi and a padawan from our own branch to interact with a Dark Side ritual for selfish purposes runs in direct defiance to the values of the Order and our obligation to protect the sanctity of life. While it is entirely at the Council's discretion whether or not action should be taken in light of this, I believe this event is still is a good enough reason to reflect on our duties as Jedi and our obligation to protect life.

My recommendations are as follows...
  • The planet should be quarantined to prevent slavers from attacking the tribal Talz on the planet.
  • Time and effort should be spent building team skills and teaching students at the temple how to work together as a time.
  • Reaffirm the values of the Order, and place special emphasis on the third tenet. Make sure that Jedi are made well aware in the future that they are not to participate in any Dark Side rituals or utilize Dark Side artifacts unless under very specific and sanctioned circumstances, and have individuals sent out on assignments which may involve Dark relics or rituals vetted to ensure that they would not be likely to misuse them.
| Born: 379.?? | Initiated: 385.25 | Apprenticed to Master Fenn Rahm: 388.22 |
Emma Vilume
Jedi Knight

Re: Assignment to Undisclosed Planet

Post by Emma Vilume »

Overview/Mission Name
Name: Emma Arianne Inara Vilume
Date(s): 406.31-407.01
Members of the Jedi Order present: Joar Hasmal and Dexen Cass
Jedi Council Clearance
  • Padawan Joar Hasmal, Padawan Dexen Cass, and I were sent to a planet to investigate a distress signal. The signal was believed to have been sent out by an Ex-Jedi, Master Dithaal. We found evidence of him having been on the planet, including his lightsaber, datapad, necklace, and a packet of seeds. However, based on encounters we had on the planet, I believe that he has passed on to the next world.
  • We encountered a tribe of Talz. Upon encountering them first, before we knew who they were or of their intentions, Joar Hasmal and Dexen Cass failed to ensure that we were able to proceed as a group and as a result abandoned me. This was the first time that our ability to work as a team failed.
  • We knew from the briefing that there had been clashes between the locals and a group of slavers. We found out that the Talz had taken some of the slavers hostage and were going to sacrifice them. The sacrifice was meant to save the Talz from spirits that were to come out during the Dance of the Dead and otherwise murder everyone in the village. However, we were told that the sacrifice would not be needed if we retrieved an object that had been stolen from them. We later found out that the Talz had lied to us. Even when given the object, they still sacrificed the prisoners. They murdered them.
  • We were given instructions on where to go to find the object. It was in a cave, inside of which a collection of untrustworthy plants guided us past rubble to a place supposedly between this world and the next. Here we experienced visions and illusions. Most notably, I saw Joar and Dexen murder an innocent Padawan. This turned out to be, as I had correctly interpreted, a foreshadowing of what would happen later.
  • We encountered a Padawan of Master Dithaal inside the cave. This encounter marked the second, third, and fourth time our ability to work as a team failed. First, upon first noticing the Padawan, and before making contact, Dexen acted on his own without waiting for a group consensus and left Joar and I to solely make contact with the Padawan. Joar understood the severity of the vision I had had and handed his hilts to me before heading down. I followed. Second, after being presented with facts about the object and its ability to make contact with the dead, Dexen decided against returning the object to the Talz, and thus decided to sentence them to death. Joar and I disagreed but were unable to convince Dexen and the Padawan of the wrongness of such a decision. This resulted in Joar becoming impatient. He took the object and a fight broke out. While I tried to intervene and stop the fight, I was not strong enough. By the end of it, Joar accidentally pushed Dexen and the Padawan past a ledge, where they fell down. What follows was the fourth instance of our failed teamwork. After pushing Dexen and the Padawan, Joar prioritised getting the object back to the Talz instead of ensuring he had not murdered the two. So I stayed behind to do so. Dexen survived the fall with few injuries, but refused to aid me in attempting to save the Padawan, claiming he was beyond saving. Unable to get to the Padawan on my own, he died.
  • The object was returned to the village where the Talz had murdered the prisoners and began a ritual to protect them and us from the spirits. The ritual was not strong enough, and we had to fight off the spirits until morning came where they turned to dust.
  • We were unsuccessful in converting the Talz to follow Ashla.

Summary and Actions

In my opinion, we were not ready for an assignment of this type. I had also only just returned from a long-term assignment with the ExploCorps to an unknown planet and had less than 24 hours to adjust to the new mission, so I did not arrive in my best mental or physical condition. As part of the mission briefing, I was told the High Council was aware of but did not consider relevant, so I want to voice my opinion on it here. Furthermore, I believe Padawan Dexen Cass did not uphold the values that a Jedi should have. That a Jedi must protect all life. I do not want to blame Dexen for this, the reason being that, based on previous discussions in classes and with other students, many people in our branch do not share that value. They believe that taking a life, or even murdering a whole village, can be an act of good.

My recommendations are as follows ...
  • Further contact with the Talz should be made by the Order in an attempt to turn them away from the Dark Side.
  • All students need to have their values aligned with the values of the Order. Perhaps through periodic examinations.
  • More classes on teamwork need to be had with an emphasis on not leaving anyone behind or acting selfishly and without group consensus.
Name: Emma Arianne Inara Vilume ⚘ Birth date: 378.07 ABY ⚘ Initiated: 384.01 ABY ⚘ Apprenticed to Xayr'ka Atreus: 387.09 ⚘ Apprenticed to Caerith Lhot: 408.05 ⚘ Knighted: 416.19
Dexen Cass
Lost One

Re: Assignment to Undisclosed Planet

Post by Dexen Cass »

Overview/Mission Name
Name: Dexen Cass
Date(s): 406.31-407.01
Members of the Jedi Order present: Dexen Cass, Emma Vilume, Joar Hasmal
Level of Exposure: <None>

• Jedi Council Clearance
    • Emma Vilume, Myself, and Joar Hasmal were all sent to an undisclosed world in the unknown regions to investigate a distress signal sent by an Ex-Jedi. After travel in hyperspace we landed somewhere in the tundra at a designated location given to us by a droid beforehand. Upon landing we immediately began searching for the Distress signal we were asked to investigate. After some immediate difficulty discerning the direction of the signal, adjusting our altitude slightly cleared whatever issues we were having and we moved on our way. Upon entering deeper into the pass - an unusual figure approached us - whether this was truly real or not, I am not certain.
    • Upon reaching an opening in the pass - we discovered a crashed shuttle - If I were to assume. I would assume it belonged to the Slavers I will mention further into the report - Two Talz were inside of the shuttle, and appeared to be ending a battle of some kind. The slavers may have attacked them before our arrival. Though now I cannot say with certainty. I approached them regardless and they seemed friendly enough - the Shuttle was the source of the distress beacon and naturally we investigated accordingly. We found a crate full of Master Dithaal's belongings. A Datapad, Seeds, Lightsaber, and a Necklace. The Talz appeared to be apprehensive in their approach towards the crate - but once we took them with us they seemed to ease off, perhaps something about the items kept within was making them nervous.
    • Once we had looked over the items - The sun began to set - the Talz beckoned us to follow them with some level of urgency - We followed, seeing no reason to distrust them at the time. When we arrived in the camp it seemed normal enough - at least if you were looking in from the entrance. Just a primitive group of Talz making their way in the galaxy. However upon moving further into the camp - it appeared they took prisoners. Slavers that I am assuming were captured from the shuttle previous. Their leader approached us and I felt the stench of Bogan weighing heavily on him, He spoke of an event that happened every thousand years which protected them from "Spirits." Though they required a relic. We had before night fell to retrieve it, before these "Spirits" were upon us. Upon waiting for their leader to appear, however - we noticed these Talz prodding the prisoners with their weaponry. I took note of this immediately, and decided it was best not to completely trust the Talz. They did however point us in the direction of our contact - Ex-Jedi Dithaal.
    • We were lead to a cave that Master Dithaal was presumably staying at. We discovered a Journal that indicated he was reaching the end of his life - I'm assuming from old age. Along with supplies and plants that the Old Jedi Knight must have been tending to. They appeared to be able to reach out through the force, and explained to us that Master Dithaal walked into the Tundra. We asked what questions we felt were appropriate, and they told us we would have to co-operate to move forward. We cleared the rubble from the other end of the cave, and upon crossing the pass. Darkness took my vision. I can assume that I lost consciousness at this point, a strange vision took hold and in the vision I found myself locked in combat with an individual dressed down in black armor - not too dissimilar from the set of armor our guards wear themselves. I Lost this battle, however. Just when I thought it was over - I woke up.
    • When I awoke it was the three of us inside of a cave. The Sun had already begun to set well before we found ourselves in this cave. Having no idea how long we truly were unconscious for - we all agreed to push our way through the caves system. As we progressed we didn't see anything out of the ordinary - and initially we thought our path was obstructed. Joar discovered a crack in the wall that the each of us were both barely able to make our way through. We squeezed through the hole in the wall to discover a single Talz in a chamber, and a statue standing before him - with the relic in hand.
    • Joar and Emma decided to crouch and hide from the Talz - I could not sense this Talz to be a threat one way or the other, and being that there is only one way to truly discover if any individual is a threat. I approached him. I will here-on be referring to this Talz as "The Padawan." I approached him and immediately I felt what I can only assume to be the result of Jedi training within him - I felt the light of the force inside of him. He explained how he missed his Master, who had since moved on to become one with the force. And believed that this relic would allow him to speak to the same "Spirits" that the Tribal Talz were speaking of. Some time later - Joar and Emma walked down to join me in the Discussion with the Padawan.
    • As discussion began, A disagreement arose that escalated into a fight. Myself and the Padawan believed that the relic should be kept within The Padawan's Possession. While Emma and Joar insisted that the relic should be returned to the Tribe in the Tundra below the cave. I understood what this might have meant for the Tribe below, I however remembered what I sensed when the leader had approached, and the treatment of their prisoners. I decided that allowing the Padawan to keep the relic - and secure his transport to a Jedi Temple would be the right thing to do. I believe that his intentions were good. He may have been misguided, As Many of us are at one point or another.
    • Somewhere along the line, Joar grew impatient and moved to take the relic from the statue, the Padawan had placed it there before we approached him. I decided to sort of.. Stand between both Joar and the relic, and the Padawan. This is when Emma grabbed me and attempted to restrain my movements - the Padawan must have been alarmed at the sight - feeling that his work would be for nothing, he attacked Joar. I was able to shrug Emma off of me, and attempt to stop the Padawan from attacking Joar, I grabbed onto his arm but to no avail. I was no match for the Padawan's physical strength. I decided that the best way to pacify the Padawan was to take the relic from Joar. Once I had it in my hand - he immediately ceased his attack. Though the disagreement did not end here.
    • Before I continue I believe that Jedi must Respect all life - Which in my opinion means protecting it from those who may disregard, disturb, disrespect, and trivialize it. From what I had discovered - this tribe of Talz were making a mockery of life, treating the lives of these prisoner's as their own playthings. I feel I was speaking towards the correct choice - We had no guarantee aside from the word of these corrupted Talz that the prisoners would be released. I was of course somewhat suspicious of this fact.

Once I re-obtained the relic, I once again tried to make my point, we were losing time and it would have meant that if we didn't choose we wouldn't have a decision to make one way or the other. However, whatever point I made fell on deaf ears. Emma and Joar were as set to return the Relic to them as I was to leave it with the Padawan. Joar sat next to the statue and appeared to enter some sort of meditation - some time afterwards Joar stood and let forth a burst of Telekinesis that sent both the Padawan and Myself flying - I dropped the relic in the process, and barely saved myself from serious injury, however.. Somewhere between re-obtaining the artifact, and Joar meditating, recovering from the Padawan's defense of the relic. Emma drew her lightsaber and approached me. I did not retrieve my own in retaliation - I simply turned to the Padawan and offered him the relic - and that's when the Burst hit me.
    • When I fell I was just barely able to catch the ledge I fell from. and Did my best to recover - though I lost my grip and fell into the pit like the Padawan, though catching myself allowed me to have more influence over my landing - I still fell a significant distance. The Padawan was not as lucky and must have fell on his head, I stayed with him until he became one with the force - I maintain there was nothing that could have been done for him. During the fall I must have dropped the Relic - After pushing me Joar left the scene, and immediately went to return it to the Tribe below. Leaving Emma to watch me pull myself from the pit with a grappling hook, I was luckily able to hook onto something and ascend out of the pit. I had felt relatively betrayed by the both of them, and went to pursue Joar - as carefully as I could. Though I knew that it was done - with the Padawan being the only one who knew how to perform his ritual - there was only one path forward.
    • I made my way out of the cave alone - slowly, I can assume Emma was somewhere behind me, as I heard footsteps behind as I made my exit. Upon returning to the Tribe, I arrived just in time to witness the Leader of the Talz execute the last of the prisoners, pushing them into a pile with a dozen other slavers. This is when I knew a mistake had truly been made. The Talz leader was making haste as night was falling quickly and placed the relic in the center of the pile - immediately some kind of twisted energy began to spiral around us - and the protection ritual began, I noticed that the bodies of the prisoners were being used as some kind of fuel for the ritual - as a member of the Jedi Order, I could not willingly condone this happening. I attempted to reach out for the relic and pull it from the pile - As soon as I did my hand grew pale, I lost the ability to control, or feel it - It was dead, and there was nothing I could do to stop the ritual.

At this point - There was nothing left to do but defend the Talz, and survive until morning - the ritual was not strong enough, whether that be a result of starting so late - or not having enough bodies. It did not matter - we held off the "Spirits" until the daylight came, in which they turned to ash. Joar and Emma both attempted to convert the Talz to the light - to no avail. - My hand was later Amputated as a result of these events.

Summary and Actions

In my opinion.. Considering we had to protect ourselves from these "Spirits" As night fell makes me believe that the prisoners, being safely behind a makeshift cage - could very well have survived until we made it to them, or the Talz could at the very least attempt to hold off the "spirits" in question. I do not believe that anyone's fate here was truly sealed, or set in stone. I believe if a fight did not break out - We could have performed the Padawan's ritual, and returned to the tribe below in an attempt to free the prisoners, as a result of our swiftness - we could have potentially saved all, or some of them before they began the execution.

I believe that the prisoners must have offered little to no resistance upon their capture - or else they would have likely shared the fate of the ones in the Shuttle. I also do not believe that the Padawan was attempting to engage in a dark side ritual - as the ritual never came to pass, we do not know if the ritual would willingly allow these spirits to commune with the Padawan, or if it would manipulate them into doing so. I maintain if there were a dark side ritual performed - it was the one that was thrust upon myself, the one that I attempted to stop.

Furthermore I believe I made an effort to uphold the code that Grandmaster Skywalker wrote nearly four-hundred years ago, and in my opinion the actions of the Talz after the fact only justify and reinforce the decision I attempted to make.

My recommendations are as follows...
    • Immediate destruction of the relic - from what the leader of these Talz spoke of, this is not the only time this event takes place. It seems to take place during a specific time frame after a significant period of time, thousands of years. if I recall correctly, leaving them to perform this ritual damns any who willingly land in an area controlled by these Talz - or involuntarily, to a certain death.
    • Investigate the possibility of a force nexus on this world to understand the events that took place and the nature of these "Spirits."