More Taunts

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Axem Keigoku
Exiled

More Taunts

Post by Axem Keigoku »

An idea I had while hearing my collegue laugh out loud the other day...

So, anyway, yea, I was thinking could it be possible to have a Emote/Cmd RPPlaySound <path> from your PK3 or something like that

We could have Solahs, chuckles, laugh, scoff, sighs, etc all within sounds, which would add life to the RP and remove some chat.

¬ Axem
Utho Astrocan
Lost One

Post by Utho Astrocan »

I would like it, just would take some work..
Nothing can Stop me now.
"We are all one in the end"
Aldia

Post by Aldia »

that'd be great! but that means each character would make a sound set? how would it work?

234.20 [57?]
Beloved Wife, Mother, & Princess

I don't need you to believe in me to make me know I'm worth believing in.
I can stand my own ground & stand proud on my own two feet.
I don't need to be apart of someone else to be complete, what I really need comes from inside of me.

Xa'o Zalei
Lost One

Post by Xa'o Zalei »

You get a mic and talk into it.
A Jedi does not grasp at power. A Jedi is not a dominator, not an oppressor. To grasp for power is to abandon the ways of the Force.
Rokran
Lost One

Post by Rokran »

That would be kind of silly. Useing our own voices have been discussed before.

One, not all of us have microphones. And two, most of us don't sound like we should. It is rather hard to be 16 in real life and have a 6 year old character.
RP Age: 37
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

You wouldn't have to record your own voices, it's quite easy to find sounds on the internet, and with a bit of touching up in a sound editing program, you can have some quality sounds. I've done it before. Not for *my* skin, but I have done it.

I agree, it would be nice and would add a bit to the RP.
Rokran
Lost One

Post by Rokran »

If I could find some sounds and I had a sound editing program, I would definatly be down for that.
RP Age: 37
Axem Keigoku
Exiled

Post by Axem Keigoku »

Rokran wrote:That would be kind of silly. Useing our own voices have been discussed before.

One, not all of us have microphones. And two, most of us don't sound like we should. It is rather hard to be 16 in real life and have a 6 year old character.
The feature being enable doesn't bound nor force you to use it.

If you are unable to make your own sounds with your voice, you can surely find something on the net as Gabe said.... if not you can ask someone else to do it for you, and at worse, simply not use a Feature.
¬ Axem
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Great idea! I could see the scripting pointing to a location in the pk3 file based on the skin, and if non-existant, just cancels. That way each emote points to a certain file (preferably a compressed mp3) and plays with the correct emote, and if not present, merely cancels to avoid error.

Once again, genius idea.

Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

On one hand I think it is a good idea, and on the other I'm not sure if it's practical.

More thoughts when I am not so tired...
Aldia

Post by Aldia »

is anyone else experiencing this? only one taunt is working and gloating isnt allowed?

234.20 [57?]
Beloved Wife, Mother, & Princess

I don't need you to believe in me to make me know I'm worth believing in.
I can stand my own ground & stand proud on my own two feet.
I don't need to be apart of someone else to be complete, what I really need comes from inside of me.

Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

None of my taunts are working.
Last edited by Larkit on Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alkaiser
Lost One

Post by Alkaiser »

Taunts are directly affected by the sound directory they are enabled to, which involves the sounds.cfg in your "models>players>[name]" directory. Opening it in notepad it typically reads something like "Alkaiser<break>m", Alkaiser being the sound folder the mp3s are in, m being for male.

There are some variations that may need to be made in order to have all your sounds work. My soundset for my Alk skin includes "choke, death, drown, falling, gloat, gurp, jump, land, pain, taunt, and victory" sounds, most have a few multiples (death1, death2, etc). Any mp3 or wav file may be renamed to function as a designated sound, for instance, if you wanted to, you could rename "death1" to "gloat1" and when you do the gloat emote, the renamed sound would play.

With my knowledge of taunts, I'm unsure about the multiple ones, I run two taunts (taunt1, taunt2) and two victory (victory1, victory2), however, something regarding the numbering system affects the frequency they activate when you "+taunt", with taunt1 playing most frequently, then taunt2, and the victory sounds VERY rarely.
I remember looking through jk2files and coming to skins/models that said they had multiple taunts, but the only way I figured them to play more frequently than the initial taunt sound was to rename them.

I would imagine a start for this would be to check on the filefront forums or something.
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

The code for picking taunt sounds is client-side and currently it's still the BaseJKA version, which only uses the taunt.mp3 (or taunt.wav) file, because it doesn't load the others (anger, victory, taunt, deflect and gloat) in FFA. Fixed in development version.

Also, the way it picks sounds is weird. For example for Gloat, it chooses randomly a "victory" sound (between 1 and 3). For Flourish, it first chooses between two "sound search paths", respectively deflect -> gloat -> anger, or gloat -> deflect -> anger, depending on what sounds are available in the skin, and every time with a random number between 1 and 3. Uh. And for the regular Taunt it's still something else. I left it that way nonetheless.

Anyway, this wasn't the topic of this thread. You should have posted in Bug Reports, Aldia.