KOTOR-Like Leveling up

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Zyrn
Lost One

Post by Zyrn »

I think we should do the health/force system it seem ridulas that a initate guardian and take more damage then a Counslar Master. I think the currant force power system should stay though.
Last edited by Zyrn on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axem Keigoku
Exiled

Post by Axem Keigoku »

Zyrn wrote:I think we should do the health/force system it seem ridulas that a initate guardian and take more damage then a Councilar Master. I thinke the currant force power system.
Not sure I understood that...

At any rate, I thank Lynee in helping me balance this out today. So, here is our work, updated.

This is the new Stats layouts

Mostly what it changes is the Level at which Stats starts to kick in.
Class-wise skill is +10/level, from level 2
Non-Class-wise skill is +4/level, from Level 2 from a lower/higher base stat
Sentinel skills is +6/level, from level 2

Above, you will find the Powers Unlocking chart. Now notice that not all levels give the same number of powers. Instead, there is more 'redundancy' between power's levels. In exemple, Jump is unlocked on Levels 6, 12, 18, 24 and 30. 6 levels apart.

Another thing you might notice are the 0 on the first levels. That means a temporary unlock. On First level, you may select TWO powers from those with either 1 or 0. But afterward, you will loose access to those marked with a 0, in this example Jump, Sense, Absorb and Attack, until you reach the level where it states 1.

Now, I know some, if not many, think that is unrealistic and not 'right' to have all powers at the same costs, disregarding the level.

Here is my reasoning behind this :

True, all the powers will be marked at 95Xp, though, in an earlier example that stated Jump would be unlocked on Levels 6, 12, 18, 24 and 30.

That means you'd need 700, 1500, 3100, 4900 and 6700 XP to gain access to each of these levels. The 95XP is simply to 'buy' the powers. We could simply put all powers at 1 point, or not even display any 'cost' and that instead of using XP to purchase Powers, you'd be given 1 Force Point (hence 1 power) for a said level.

Hope this clarifies, as I felt I wasn't understood properly.

Also, you might notice that there is a few powers in the chart above that are in Bold. Those are known as the Focus Powers. They are ment to be Class-wise, and will reach Power Level 3 by Character Level 15. This is in no way to force a certain selection, but rather to unlock more 'probable' selection due to Class selection.

And to answer the usual question "and what if my character wants to master Speed before Push?"
Well, do so! Just don't spend your powers into Push and put them into Speed instead. Though, if you are a Consular, it will take longer for your body to adapt to that Force Skill.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

¬ Axem Keigoku
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Master Keigoku,

I like it! I think this fixes all of my previous complaints. The progression over time is much better, and I like your idea for level one.
Axem Keigoku
Exiled

Post by Axem Keigoku »

Soh, mind rechecking this out?

¬ Axem Keigoku
Zyrn
Lost One

Post by Zyrn »

I agree all my issues have been resolved. I especally like the health and force pool increasing over levels rather than just getting what ou get and getting stuck with it.
Axem Keigoku
Exiled

Post by Axem Keigoku »

Here is the new layout for all three classes. Click the appropriate one to enlarge.

Consular

Guardian

Sentinel

There are 2 version of each powers : Focus and non-Focus. That means that if 2 classes share a same Focus power, they will learn it at the same pace. And same if they are out of Focus.

Also, Level 1 offers 6 powers, from which 3 are non-Class based and will be locked again after level 1. This is to implement a choice and the questioning that goes with it. Are you a sword-fighting Consular? Or a more Force-using Sentinel? That is now entirely up to you.

Focus powers are displayed in Bold in the Power column.

Feed back is always welcome.

¬ Axem Keigoku
P't'ral

Post by P't'ral »

So it takes a Sentinel only 15 levels to be able to access level 5 heal others, but it takes a consular 31 levels?
Lynee'alin
Exiled

Post by Lynee'alin »

I already told you. But yeah at the beginning I was sceptic, but now I find it very very nice.
Axem Keigoku
Exiled

Post by Axem Keigoku »

P't'ral wrote:So it takes a Sentinel only 15 levels to be able to access level 5 heal others, but it takes a consular 31 levels?
Just as it takes 15 levels for a Consular to master Hold, while 31 for the Sentinel.

The powers are most likely balanced in each class, adding to the general bonuses of each classes. Sentinel is MEANT to be the general, suit-most-of-the-group class. While Consular and Guardians opens up new area and focused areas.
P't'ral

Post by P't'ral »

I just don't think that the foci are distributed fairly. By definition, "[Consulars are] our healers, our researchers, our seers." Or in that a sentinel gains a 3+ skill faster than another class, in that a sentinel is a balance, which to me would imply that they learn basics and become adept, rather than mastery.

Perhaps there could be multiple consular foci templates, or a Jedi can choose their foci, rather than classes at all.
Zyrn
Lost One

Post by Zyrn »

I like it.
Axem Keigoku
Exiled

Post by Axem Keigoku »

P't'ral wrote:I just don't think that the foci are distributed fairly. By definition, "[Consulars are] our healers, our researchers, our seers." Or in that a sentinel gains a 3+ skill faster than another class, in that a sentinel is a balance, which to me would imply that they learn basics and become adept, rather than mastery.

Perhaps there could be multiple consular foci templates, or a Jedi can choose their foci, rather than classes at all.
These would be a good and preferable idea, but there are currently limitations to the game. Right now, the game can support 16 classes, of 32 levels each.

The Force settings are bound to the class, not the account, and thus, all of one class follows the same Force settings. Though there is a 'guideline' to the Powers being available sooner than others that differences the classes, it remains to the player's choice to choose which power they want first.

Hope this clarifies

¬ Axem Keigoku
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

I think one of the best parts of RPmod is that though there are several 'defining' classes, the range of powers and XP system allows each person to learn and advance as they choose.

Simply put, though classes should indicate the sort of powers a Jedi might have or do best at, each character is unique, and thus as it is RPed, not all classes rigidly define individuals. Just because one is a Consular does not mean they are necessarily better at say, Storm, than a Guardian. By the same token, a Sentinel is not necessarily always better at lightsaber skills than a Consular. The lines between classes are easily blurred, with a little creativity...

Again, I love the new HP/Force progression idea, because to me, it makes sense. As it is now, Guardians and Sentinels, even, may beat Consulars who are years older than them. Even if one tries to RP it differently, it is still difficult to enforce properly. Honestly, regardless of class, any students years apart should be appropriately represented as such. Even if they 'suck' with a lightsaber... I would doubt that Initiates could beat a Padawan, or Padawans beat Knights, simply because of their chosen class.

But, I like the new updates you have made to the templates. It makes even more sense now.
Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

This might be called necro-posting, and Axem is gone, however, instead of making a new thread, I'd like to put attention to the HP/Force system used here. I'd REALLY like to see it happen in the next version of RPMod.