Saber Clip

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Kavar Starkiller
Lost One

Saber Clip

Post by Kavar Starkiller »

I've noticed this...when you put your saber away to switch to melee, it just disappears...I wonder, if It's possible to take the holster option (from JA+) and add it so that the saber "clips" onto the belt. Just an idea.
Light cannot exist without shadow.
RP Age: 27
Nalin

Post by Nalin »

It definatly would add to the realism. I know nothing about modding so I don't know if it would be hard or not. If it is easy to do, it would be a nice feature, but if it is hard to do, I don't know if it would be worth the trouble. I know the saberstaff goes on your back though.

Characters

Nalin Cosrog (deceased)
Lucien Karnot (Civilian)
Ifean

Post by Ifean »

yeah i really like that aspect of the JA+ mod.. i remember being a guest in the ::JEDI:: server long ago when JA+ was being used.. The belt clip feature was available as well as the hands to the side while in melee.
Rash Loist
Lost One

Post by Rash Loist »

I do indeed miss this when you clip the lightsaber onto your belt, hope you bring it back in the future :D
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

I agree with this.
P't'ral

Post by P't'ral »

I'm curious as to what they are proposed to look like? A hunk of metal sticking out of one's hip?

I found the simple saber to belt to be dysfunctional for various models, the Luke/Jacen/Anakin Solo models to be exact. And various amounts of clipping on other models, my old Fisto model for one.

But I suppose if this were to come to reality, there would be a no holster or hidden option. But I find looking at someone's lightsaber attached to their thigh to be a bit... annoying.
Tinthros Vos
Lost One

Post by Tinthros Vos »

Then you can reskin the model with a belt right there or something. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but in the movies the loops on lightsabers were on the bottom, so if you made the hilt clip upside down or something.
P't'ral

Post by P't'ral »

Tinthros Vos wrote:Then you can reskin the model with a belt right there or something.
Thats not the issue, the issue is of where the saber is programmed to be in fist mode. Take Gabe's model for example, it would look very odd if you were to lower the belt by several IC inches.
korto

Post by korto »

Wouldnt it be better if the saber was a few cm under the belt instead of disappearing completely ? :)
Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

It was a nice effect on some models, but yeah, clipping issues are too common... I don't miss it so much that it pains me. Now, the wall hanging grab on the other hand I do miss... In my opinion the grab we have now looks like one is suspended from an invisible rope, and we're Jedi, not Fakir. Any chance we can use the old animation in the next release?
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

I quickly tried to implement it but there are several problems (other than clipping): the saber is too high on the belt/hip, and it appears even if you aren't supposed to have a saber (like guests/hopefuls). I didn't find any easy way to fix that. As this feature is not really a priority, I won't go further for the moment. Maybe in a future version, but not 0.3.0.

Jared: the Ledge Grab bug is not related to the animation itself, it's because of the model scale (an unscaled model would work fine). It's already fixed for version 0.3.0.
Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

I personally wouldn't want the saber clipped to my side. I tend to wear skins that don't support this, and don't WANT to have to skin on a belt that would ruin my designs. If this gets implemented, I'd like a feature to turn it off if we choose.

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Ifean

Post by Ifean »

After reading everyones posts i think it would be best not to have it unless it was bug free.. Still is a cool feature though :)
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

After reading further, I tend to agree, if it cannot be bug free, it is probably best not to try to implement it.