Pre-Loaded Spawnpoints

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Pre-Loaded Spawnpoints

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Just a thought I had while being bugged by Corinth to set the spawnpoints for the 80 billionth time...

I know that many things are loaded from the .dat files on the server. The most similar to what I think could be used for spawnpoints would be the securitydoors.dat file. Each map has a list of entities that are set for the security locks and what-not. Could the same be done for spawnpoints? We had a section for a map (a2_beta4_day), then write all the spawnpoints. When the map is loaded, the spawnpoints are automatically changed to this. They could be changed later, but upon the initial loading of the map, the pre-loaded spawnpoints would be added.

Just an idea to make things easier when changing maps, as many Knights+Masters can change the map, but only three of us can execute the spawnpoint file.
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

Yes, this is planned for the next version :)
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Ah, brilliant once again.
Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

On a side note: Is there an ETA of the next version? Or is it just finished, when it's finished?
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

As always, it's finished when it's finished. I haven't had much time to work on it for 2 months, but next week I'm on holidays so I'll have time again. You might expect a release around new year, or shortly after (but I can't promise anything).
Xeuus

Post by Xeuus »

Hey mods are hard. I don't know how to mod but im sure its hard so i say take your time. remember quility not quantaty. well thats what im told anyway.

good luck with the next part

EDIT: is there a free program so i could learn to mod?
Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

I'm not really into how JKA works, but as far as I know, it's written in C#, which most likely means you're going to need a notepad or IDE of some sort. I, myself, am programming in Java, and use the NetBeans IDE for that, and if I'm not totally wrong, there's a C# plug-in for it as well.

But I've never dug into modding JKA, so it might work in a complete different way. Anyway, .cfg files are a way to start doing some sort of modding. I created a small script to change the fur colour of Larkit.

Hope that could help somehow... Should probably just've waited till Soh replied.

EDIT: You can get the NetBeans IDE from www.netbeans.org (NetBeans 6.0 is brand new!)
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

JKA is written mainly in good old C. It's based on the Quake3 engine, first released in 1999 (C# didn't exist at the time). Parts of the SP code and the JKA engine (the .exe) are supposed to be in C++, but they aren't available to modders.

RPMod also includes a new C++ module named the "Account Manager", to handle the connection to the SOAP Web Service (that allows members to see their Account from their journal).

The reference IDE for C/C++ (and .NET) programming under Windows is obviously Microsoft's, Visual Studio. I use the 2003 version for JKA programming. Alternatives include NetBeans (that I use for Java programming too) or Eclipse; both are available for several platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X). Programming without an IDE and a good debugger is a pain, so if you're interested, you should get one of them, with a compiler.
Xeuus

Post by Xeuus »

ok ill see wat i can do
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

And DONT forget your electro-static hydrospanner that jackplugs into the periphereal dataport in order to de-program and statitize the magnapulsar cable frequency!

(I love you, Soh :P)
Geth'tee

Post by Geth'tee »

:shock: Woah. Gabe what was that, you have confused me with that advanced stuff from star wars and stuff. :shock:
Arikakon Genkal
Lost One

Post by Arikakon Genkal »

It's quite simple, really. The power relay from the electromagnetic generator to the main ion engine needs a cable frequency that corresponds to the correctly statitized and deprogrammed parallel cable which has a useful peripheral dataport with a hydrospanner jackport for near-instantaneous repairs.

(Thank you for half of that, Gabe ^.^)

"Laws are like sausages. You don't want to see them being made." ~Otto von Bismarck
Xeuus

Post by Xeuus »

::does everything master gabe tells him too.. then wonders why it isn't working and relizes he didn't under stand::