Shield Sounds

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Vantus
Lost One

Shield Sounds

Post by Vantus »

I was sparring with Kael the other day when I landed a good couple of hits. I saw a few sparks and my lightsaber left the usual orange lines. However I did NOT see the usual blue forcefield that appears when you damage a shield. The next couple of hits I landed and the shield started showing up again!

I was pretty confused as to whether he still had shield or not.

My question: Would it be possible to include a sound effect to simulate a shield being depleted. Whether its a fizzle-out noise or a dying beam noise.
This will help indicate when to stop in Spars. I do know some people tend to go on once their shields are down when they should rightfully be stopping.

According to Arik, it's a player model sound effect but NEVER have I seen a sound effect entitled "noshield" or anything to suggest its a sound effect that goes in a model's pk3. This would also mean its Optional and would only work for people that added it into their skin.

Would it be possible to make the sound effect server-side rather than client based?

Arikakon Genkal
Lost One

Post by Arikakon Genkal »

Looking over the sound files, if it were a sound it would probably have to be called "Pain99" or something like that, which indicates that it plays when you're at 99 HP. I don't think there actually is one where shields deplete. And for the server-side thing... not sure.

"Laws are like sausages. You don't want to see them being made." ~Otto von Bismarck
Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

JEDI's sparring etiquette is initialised for 90 percent of spars, where initiates are expected to solah when they run out of shields. However, as it stands the sound effects of the player do change to more extreme yelps of pain as the health meter goes down.

Currently there is a forced Solah in duels where if players choose to duel in the old JK way when a player is knocked down, their health meter returns to 30 and they automatically state 'Solah.'

For training saber spars, that are RP'd it'd be nicer to just encourage people to solah at 0 shields.

Here are some things to consider:

accidental kicks, however frowned upon or condoned by each player, automatically deplete health and not sheilds, thus the sound would play as soon as I kick player a in the face.

While RP wise shield depletion noises would add to the feel of the RP, they don't have such a practical application within the mechanics of JA.

Thus, if we spar each other, and we intend to go to sheild limits, we simply say "To shields" before the spar. In the same way I might ask "Frequency?" to a fellow Knight. If I did say "To Shields" to someone and they went on and eventually collapsed due to their health meter running out, they'd look a bit silly and would lose 5RP points and thus the oppertunity to spar me henceforth, the fiends.

Also, padawans and such are encouraged to strengthen their pain tolerance by going beyond shields as they progress or 'level up' so a feature like this would become redundant after a few months.

If it were any other game, it'd be an epic and wholesome feature, but I don't see it being realised for RPmod.
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Understood and thanks for the indepth response Jared.

My meaning was more for RP immersion and to prevent people from dipping into their health when the agreement is to shields because some cheating shmucks do it! :x
It would also serve well in full-on spars by letting an oponent know what stage of fatigue their oponent was at.

In regards to what you mentioned about kicking. I'm not talking about an alternative sound effect to damaging health. I simply mean as an example - shield reaches a value of say 2%, a single sound effect is played.

A couple of times (pointing no fingers) I've sparred and deplete their shields but they kept attacking, yet once my shields go, they expect me to Solah.

I see the difference between RP and JKA spars but it's silly that somebody wants a JKA spar with me and then can't take the fact I humilated them by winning.

The shields noise would be an indication to both combatants AND anyone watching, that the spar is over.

But I understand your reasoning Jared and will accept no as the answer. :)

Asrelia Mhy

Post by Asrelia Mhy »

Arikakon Genkal wrote:Looking over the sound files, if it were a sound it would probably have to be called "Pain99" or something like that, which indicates that it plays when you're at 99 HP. I don't think there actually is one where shields deplete. And for the server-side thing... not sure.
Not quite. The "pain##" sounds corresponds to amounts of damage taken. So if I take 80 damage "pain100" sound would play.
pain25: 1-25 damage
pain50: 26-50 damage
pain75: 51-75 damage
pain100: 76-100 damage
Alanya Sgall
Lost One

Post by Alanya Sgall »

Asrelia Mhy wrote:Not quite. The "pain##" sounds corresponds to amounts of damage taken. So if I take 80 damage "pain100" sound would play.
pain25: 1-25 damage
pain50: 26-50 damage
pain75: 51-75 damage
pain100: 76-100 damage
Actually, it's based on your health ;). I found that out last week.

pain25: 1-25 health remaining
pain50: 26-50 health remaining
pain75: 51-75 health remaining
pain100: 76-100+ health remaining (also plays when shields are damaged)

Go into the server and just let your remote droid attack you, you'll hear the switchovers at 75 hp, 50hp, and 25hp.
Rash Loist for Jedi Master!