Mind Trick Mods

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Ctathos
Lost One

Mind Trick Mods

Post by Ctathos »

I know we have like a million threads on mind trick, but I wanted to make sure this was seen as something else.

Currently Mind Trick only works on those who are in your sight when you use it, but I think that if you use it, anyone you come into contact with while its active should be effected. Ie. I use it while I see Jamus, he's mindtricked, but then I turn the corner and there's Phoe, who should also be mindtricked.

Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

I agree...

IF

Soh changes the name of Mind Trick to Force Cloak.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Corinth Alkorda wrote: IF Soh changes the name of Mind Trick to Force Cloak.
I'm with Corinth on this one.

The idea of Mind Trick is that the Jedi is mind tricking those specific Individuals. If the Jedi is unaware of the presance of another person, how can he mind trick that person.

Using MSN as an example:

If I block person A (Mind Trick) but not person B, Person A won't see me yet Person B will still see me online.
On the other hand, if I sign in on Offline mode (Cloak), nobody can see me.

Making it Force Cloak would kind of resolve that issue.

Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

What they said, sounds good to me. :)

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
Lost One

Post by Nira'kalen'nuruodo »

I'm also with Corinth and Vantus on this.

They way the power was originally represented in JK2 and JA was a game mechanic with the name Mind Trick and, to be honest, until you reached higher ranks, it didn't really match what we've seen in the films. Mind Trick can be easily RPed (e.g. ::Mind Trick:: These are not the droids you're looking for), whereas Cloak is better suited as an ingame power as it effects everyone.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
|age_53|height_1.7m|weight_85kg|species_chiss|mentor_cyril.feraan|padawan_eugen.darkrider_nastajja.arren|

Yon Vash
Lost One

Post by Yon Vash »

I agree.
Indilia Von
Lost One

Post by Indilia Von »

uh yeah I agree to like 1000% if it was so high x.x
''One's Path is shown, in the latter years, for some and for some..in the early years'' ~ Indilia Von
Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

Force Cloak

(1) Force users with this rare ability could use the Force to photokinetically bend light around themselves, rendering them invisible to others. Since it physically bent light like a cloaking device, this power could be used to hide from beings such as droids and the Yuuzhan Vong, beings normally immune to Force-based illusions.

(2) An alternative form of the Force Cloak ability hid the user by affecting the minds of those around them in a way similar to the Jedi Mind Trick or Force Persuasion. The user could remove all traces of their presence from the mind of observers and move completely unnoticed while in plain sight. Because this form of the Force Cloak ability relied on the user's power to affect the mind of the observer, it was ineffective against droids or larger groups of observers/opponents.
Ability one is currently practised by a handful of people and requires a fair amount of role play.

Ability two explicitly discusses Jedi Academy/Jedi Knight's mind trick power.

IF mind trick becomes Force Cloak it should remain a form of mind trick at lower levels. Level 4+ becomes PHOTOKINETIC cloaking which is RARE.

So, someone with level 4 could become invisible to those within a certain radius, let's say half a map or something, or the maps localized region. Someone with level 5 literally becomes invisible.

In other words, level 1-3 is ability two (as it stands), level 4+ ability one.

This combined with the previously discussed "sight level dependence" on being able to break the ability seems to me at least to be the most satisfactory solution.
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Jared wrote:IF mind trick becomes Force Cloak it should remain a form of mind trick at lower levels. Level 4+ becomes PHOTOKINETIC cloaking which is RARE.
I think you've hit it on the head, Master Quell.

It would be *extremely* difficult to successfully render oneself invisible to many people using the "mind trick" aspect of the ability (actually using the Force to alter people's perceptions). This would require an intense amount of focus from a person, as they would be individually influencing people's minds (no other way to do it). As for bending light, that's just as difficult to do initially, but is a much better way to go about it than affecting individual minds.
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Oh I like it :)

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

That makes sense to me.

Another approach is to use a blanket Force Illusion, one which doesn't influence individual minds directly (i.e. by the Force User exerting his will on each one individually), but rather through using the Force to do so across a particular area, with all individuals thusly being affected. I suppose you can think of it like this: you could convince one mind that there is a wall where there is, in fact, not one, or you could Force Project the image of a wall to be observed by any and all that happen to pass by, without being required to exert all your energies to manipulate each individual mind. If that makes sense. A higher-level ability, to be certain, but I think it could probably work for the Mind Trick/Force Cloak.
Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

Yes, but not really possible to import as a game mechanic. Force Cloak simply makes you invisible which is easier to implement.

Remember, this is a suggestions topic for RPmod. Not introducing Force powers to JEDI canon. :wink:
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

It's not a new Force Power, Master Quell. Corran Horn uses it a lot, as did Jacen Solo :p But now, I was observing that as a possible compromise/rationale for the modification of the Mind Trick ability. Not suggesting that we add a new power.

That noted, you COULD still do that - Force Illusions can be used in Base JO/JKA: you can create a 'solid' projection of another individual or object using the Force, and by extension, you can also hide people or objects using the Force (wherein we obtain the origin of the Mind Trick/Force Cloak power). You could always implement that, too :p
Arikakon Genkal
Lost One

Post by Arikakon Genkal »

Or, you could just make an NPC, spawn it next to you, say something along the lines of ((You can't see me now)), and that's your illusion. Is this what you were talking about with the
Aslyn wrote:Force Illusions can be used in Base JO/JKA: you can create a 'solid' projection of another individual or object using the Force

"Laws are like sausages. You don't want to see them being made." ~Otto von Bismarck
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Close, but I wouldn't put it quite the way you did.