Kicking

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

Amen.
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
Moza Ferorn
Lost One

Post by Moza Ferorn »

People tell me to get jump 2 and deal with it..and kick people back..Why do something like that? One, Id kick your face in with my lego block feet....Two Moza doesnt need jump 2 for anything...I cant see him doing the matrix all over the place. So...I guess people spammed/abused it more than I thought...Granted if I ask them to stop they usually do..If they dont its kay, Ill just heal.

I see evryones points though...Its just in an fool around spar (bored or w/e) and we go to KO, then all the damage i see done sometimes if from the kick ...you get knocked over and when you get back up they do it again...But ^_^ my ranting is done.
|age_33|height_1.95m|weight_82kg|race_ithorian|mentor_gabe.alkorda|padawan_valon.rachius|li.andru
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Well, speaking as a counter to hypocrisy, you've never before had an issue with those attacks that are a) easy to spam and b) sufficiently damaging to be a threat to an adversary. Let's face it, katas, lunges and the like are your favourite things to do in a spar, so why would you have a problem with something like a jump-kick?

Moreover, it's a perfectly practical move within combat and it's not THAT easy to pull off if your opponent knows you can do it. If they're standing still (which should rarely be the case in a good spar), then naturally you could use that technique to hit them and cause a little damage, but otherwise, it's not the easiest ability to use. As such, it takes SKILL and practice to do this.

And, finally, I arrive at the biggest issue I have with your objections: you've got absolutely no reason to care about this one. Why? Because the jump-kick damages HP, not shield, and as Initiates (and noting that Master Alkorda clarified this much for us yesterday), we are not supposed to spar beyond shield drops. So once your shield has been fully depleted, the spar ends. Now, if you could spar to KO, then perhaps the Jump-Kick would be an issue (and I still don't see it as such), but since you're technically not supposed to do so, I can't see why you'd consider it a problem.
Moza Ferorn
Lost One

Post by Moza Ferorn »

Aslyn wrote:And, finally, I arrive at the biggest issue I have with your objections: you've got absolutely no reason to care about this one. Why? Because the jump-kick damages HP, not shield, and as Initiates (and noting that Master Alkorda clarified this much for us yesterday), we are not supposed to spar beyond shield drops. So once your shield has been fully depleted, the spar ends. Now, if you could spar to KO, then perhaps the Jump-Kick would be an issue (and I still don't see it as such), but since you're technically not supposed to do so, I can't see why you'd consider it a problem.
A) I do believe you past shields to at times. B) I use lunges and katas and what no because Moza has learned them in the three years of being an intiate, C) If the kick was learned more in the RP sense they saying "Oh I have jump 2 let me go use all these new abilites" that would be great. Ive seen people purchase a power, and claim to have full control of the upgrade 30 minutes later.

EDIT: Case closed on my part. I have said what I needed and all my concerns. My thoughts have lead me to say: This power should be learned in the Rp like any other ability.
Last edited by Moza Ferorn on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
|age_33|height_1.95m|weight_82kg|race_ithorian|mentor_gabe.alkorda|padawan_valon.rachius|li.andru
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Right,

This isn't going to be moved and it's simply about spamming of such moves. Sometimes i can agree, when i get kicked my health goes down (if i am in a spar where health counts) and i can't kick back sometimes, Yeah it can be a pain if they are able to easily kick you all over the floor but personally, it's part of your growth and choice you made eventually you will be able to do it again. If it's a case of spamming, chat to each other rather than what seemingly reads in other posts. There is a spamming of moves such as Lunge - sometimes Hold - because it's the only big/special move we have at our stage plus i am training myself to use it effectively in a time of need but it can always be agreed if to use it or not. I prefer to just Saber spar in most cases anyways, then at a later stage when i have grown in ability i will duel and going hammer an tong while doing it! (Dixo, your marked!)

Just chat guys before and after duel privately if you want to spar without certain aspects.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

I think its safe to assume that most would just learn how to kick a person on their own over time, as their athletics increased. I mean..it's kicking.

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Moza Ferorn
Lost One

Post by Moza Ferorn »

Sebastin Creed wrote: Just chat guys before and after duel privately if you want to spar without certain aspects.
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Agreed. And we can't use the basis of "it's unfair, because I can't do it" as a way of restricting abilities in RP - otherwise nobody would be able to use the Saber Offense skills if their opponents didn't have them, the same being true for the Force abilities. Fact of the matter is that it's there, and it's a viable tactic, so I'm all for it remaining as is. Like Syrena said, it's just a kick. You can do that without any Force training at all.
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

So agreed.

The Flip-Kick stays and for all the one-move-wonders out there, try avoid over-using it as a cheap way of creating distance between your oponent.

Backflips, Jumps and rolls also work. :wink:

Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

Well, wow.

I haven't had a chance to read through this thread since it was back at only one reply, and now that I have, I have to say that I'm a bit taken aback. So, instead of lecturing, here are a few tips that we should all try to remember.
  • If someone says something that upsets you, think about it first. Try to remember that when you respond to something while you're aggravated, you tend to say things that only escalate the situation. When you're feeling aggressive, try writing what you want to post first, then wait a few hours. Afterward, if you feel your words are still the right thing to say, post it.
  • Try to read through all of the posts in the thread before you contribute, and see if your comment is needed. If you're not bringing anything new to the thread, don't reiterate what others have said simply to show your support of it. Support is a good thing, but not every member needs to reply. It's usually not needed unless an idea seems to be heading south.
  • Remember that we are a community: members of JEDI, hopefulls, and guests alike. Many of us use JEDI as a means to escape real-life stress and frustration. No one wants to feel stress or frustration over a video game, so let's all try to be respectful of each others thoughts without feeling the need to attack or argue. I don't want anyone to feel angry or sad because of something I said or did, do you?
Let's all remember why we're here, and what we stand for as a clan and as a community of role-players. Keep the lines of communication open between one another, and JEDI will continue to flourish as it has these past years.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
WuWei

Post by WuWei »

What i find funny is Jedi that use Sith powers and even remove the names of them within the templates. Other than that drain breaks grip if its even in this mod also so does push and pull or atleast they do in all versions of jk3 and if they spam pull kick just hit them with your saber as they pull you to them takes alittle timing but it can discourage them form doing it again.
Kenta
Lost One

Post by Kenta »

there are no "jedi" and "sith" powers really, it's supposed to be how you use them that defines what you are, and now back to the actual topic :P
RP Age: 126 Next Birthday: 371.1
Stupid is a disease spreading at an alarming rate. - Kenta
WuWei

Post by WuWei »

Coming from someone that was talking about he met a sith the other day. Though i guess i can agree with your point. And for the most part i was on topic and trying to offer advise, as ive played jka for many many years.
Kenta
Lost One

Post by Kenta »

sorry, but at no point, at any day did my character ever say he met a sith or dark jedi, get your facts straight before you blurt it out.
RP Age: 126 Next Birthday: 371.1
Stupid is a disease spreading at an alarming rate. - Kenta
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

It'd probably be best to avoid conventional JKA analysis of the RPMod and JEDI, as they tend to not apply.

A few members have put in 3+ years into JEDI, and many others have put in fewer years; honing the details of this clan to a fine tip (conveniently suitable for poking people in the eye :P). I'd say we're pretty competent in our understanding of the SW universe, role playing, and having fun.

Please, lets keep this topic on its course rather than diverting on unrelated or quasi-related tangents.