Variable Push

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Nira'kalen'nuruodo
Lost One

Variable Push

Post by Nira'kalen'nuruodo »

I was thinking back to the days of the original Jedi Knight, and its implementation of Force Jump. A tap of the Force key would produce the most powerful leap, while holding it for longer would produce a less powerful leap. Would this be possible to implement for Force Push?

For example, a quick tap of Push would produce a Push at the maximum power for the level obtained. Holding Push would reduce the power dependant on how long the key was held.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
|age_53|height_1.7m|weight_85kg|species_chiss|mentor_cyril.feraan|padawan_eugen.darkrider_nastajja.arren|

Ralen Noxx

Post by Ralen Noxx »

I would make quick tap weak push, and the longer you hold it the stronger, its realistic in episode 3, where Obiwan pushes Grievous. He charges the push if you look closely.
Moza Ferorn
Lost One

Post by Moza Ferorn »

There may not be a reason for that...If you get Force push 1, 2, 3, then 4 and 5...then they are very progressive and push differently...As for the charging up...that would be interesting to see...may like it, may not.
|age_33|height_1.95m|weight_82kg|race_ithorian|mentor_gabe.alkorda|padawan_valon.rachius|li.andru
Aayla Vigil
Lost One

Post by Aayla Vigil »

I think this could be a nice feature to have, BUT I'd be afraid of one pratical consequence:
charging push would require a time elapse that would increase as far as you are able to reach a stronger rate, hence if I'd ever see this applied I would also suggest for a bar of charge that increases holding down "force use button" when the push power is selected, and that also goes up faster as if you have a higher level of push.

For example
level 1: amount of charge 1
level 2: amount of charge 1-5, speed of charge 1
level 3: amount of charge 1-10, speed of charge 3
level 4: amount of charge 1-15, speed of charge 6
level 5: amount of charge 1-20, speed of charge 10.

This in order to let the user of push 5 to actually reach 20 with the same delay of reaching up 10 for a push 3 user.

---

Otherwise, since when you have a higher level of a force power you can deselect it and go back to the previous power, I would suggest an increasingly stronger minimum charge, maintaining the same speed of charge.

level 1: amount of charge 1
level 2: amount of charge 2-5
level 3: amount of charge 5-10
level 4: amount of charge 10-15
level 5: amount of charge 15-20.

Anyway, I don't know how far this feature could be useful, I hope that my advice will help.

You can't choose what is right

Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

The feature of charging powers was originally planned in RPMod (Axem's original Force powers chart). A preliminary implementation was even included in 0.3.1 and before, but kept "secret" (*cough*) as it wasn't really tested, provided no feedback at all and only offered 360° Push - which is now officially available as Push level 5 in RPMod 0.4.0.

So, due to time constraints and the amount of work needed to do it, it's been postponed for after 1.0.0 and the existing implementation has been removed from 0.4.0.

But you can keep suggesting about it, as it might be implemented in the future (but not any time soon, sorry).
Rokran
Lost One

Post by Rokran »

The one thing I've been looking forward to as far as playing around with the Push Force power is a Push struggle.

Kind of like how we have lightsaber struggles, I think there should be a Push struggle. Player A and Player B would both use Push at each other at the same time, resulting in an animation like episode 3, where they stand infront of each other (I think to emulate a little better, there should be some type of bubble or something in between the players characters). The player with the stronger level of push will of course have a better chance of winning. And, if neither winner is resoveled after 10 seconds, the power of the Force push should send them both backwards.
RP Age: 37
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

I personally never understood the whole push-struggle thing.
In my opinion, Force push is a sudden blast of energy that would knock the oponent away almost like an extremely strong wind. This means that unless the two Jedi met the force push at the EXACT same time, the result would be one Jedi getting blown away before he/she could react.

Even if they both forced pushed at the same time, the blast would just be absorbed between the two of them and the energy dissipitated. (Which is exactly what happens in JKA just now)

I don't understand why, in Episode 3, they perform it as some sort of constant "push energy" like an arm wrestle.

They look like mime artists!

It makes sense for things like Storm where there is a constant supply of energy being released but, to me, Force push should be an instant blast rather than a sustainable, controlled power.

It would probably be more plausible to say the power of telekenisis was in question seeing as that power is about controlling physical movement of objects/people.

Just my lil' piece. :)

Xaran Varc

Post by Xaran Varc »

Vantus wrote:I don't understand why, in Episode 3, they perform it as some sort of constant "push energy" like an arm wrestle.
Apparently it's canon to have a variable push then...
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Xaran Varc wrote:
Vantus wrote:I don't understand why, in Episode 3, they perform it as some sort of constant "push energy" like an arm wrestle.
Apparently it's canon to have a variable push then...
Certainly is!
Just as cannonical as R2D2 Being able to take on 2 Super Battle Droids with drills, projectile oil spills and a Jet pack, then some 20 years later, only have the ability to either open doors or get shot.

When you follow cannon, you gotta take the bad with the good I suppose, even if it makes little sense. :roll:

Going back to the original topic though.
I could understand the want for different degrees of push. I mean, for those who have Force Push maxed, i'm sure there are times they want to deliver a small nudge rather than a devestating shove to the other side of the map without having to alter their template all the time to fit moment.

Yon Vash
Lost One

Post by Yon Vash »

Certainly is!
Just as cannonical as R2D2 Being able to take on 2 Super Battle Droids with drills, projectile oil spills and a Jet pack, then some 20 years later, only have the ability to either open doors or get shot.

OMG Vantus yeah, what's with that?
Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

I suppose R2-D2 got older. He was not built to last that long.
WuWei

Post by WuWei »

Ive played JKA for many years and the way ive seen the jump work which i feel is the most logical is that when you tap jump its a short jump or a hop so to speak but when you hold it depending on however long you hold the further up you jump. Thus that being said when you push with a tap it should be like lvl 1 push just like it should be with jump and when you hold it for however long it should go up progressively in power just as jump would which would push someone further away not so much a charging deal as it just is a holding alittle longer deal.