Localized alert

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Localized alert

Post by Cyril Feraan »

I think that players should be able to set a message that displays to other players when they are within a certain amount of units of that player. It could appear as either an overlay (big white text in the center) or as an alert in the upper left. This would be localized to just the players within that range, and only last for a certain amount of seconds.

This would be very practical. Players could set useful messages through this (though there is an unfortunate possibility of abuse).

Examples:

"((AFK))"
"Bob seems to be in deep meditation..."
"You feel a tremor in the Force as you approach..."
"The being standing before you gives off a threatening aura."

Feasible? Good idea?

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

I like the idea, but I see it being abused. And would there be a way to distinguish between player alerts and the alerts the admin give that already occupy that space?

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

What about instead of an alert, a personal status perhaps, that would e located under your name when someone targets you?
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

Why not simply use ::action:: text? As it is now, you have to be within a certain distance to see the text unfaded. I see it as a current way to get the same effect.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

That's true, but the main purpose for it would be if you're away to provide a RP reason (you can't tell every passerby not to talk to you if you're not there to do so)...maybe I didn't make that clear.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Sahio Xekma

Post by Sahio Xekma »

Jedi Council wrote: Going Away From Keyboard should not be publicly announced. Simply retire in a dark corner, an appropriate place (dormitories...) or switch to Spectator.
If you follow that rule, you won't have to " tell every passerby not to talk to you if you're not there to do so" because you wouldn't be where passerby goes.
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

The map doesn't allow such easy access to "hiding" while on the server. It takes about 2 minutes just to get to a spot like that. When I go AFK, its usually because I need to get up right then.
Sahio Xekma

Post by Sahio Xekma »

Jedi Council wrote: or switch to Spectator.
Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

Or they talk to you and you don't respond because you are away and they have the good sense to go and talk to someone else?
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

I think it's an awesome idea and could add loads to the overall RP, in that it would allow people to more effectively gage how they should react when approaching certain people (I'm thinking very mission-minded). If it's possible, it'd be cool to see done.

As far as going afk and all that... bah to that. This isn't a replacement for joining spec or hiding in a corner, it *could* be used to such a purpose, but it has way more possibilities and could do a lot of good.