Force Bond and Mind Trick

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Moza Ferorn
Lost One

Force Bond and Mind Trick

Post by Moza Ferorn »

When Ctathos was mind tricking me and Jamus the other night, I realized and PMed Jamus stating, IC he should be able to sense Ctathos through their bond, regardless of the Mind Trick. So...I am suggesting that if a bond is between two people, they could break each others mind trick regardless the level.

I.E: Jamus could activate sense and break CTs level 5 mind trick through their bond.

Questions? Comments? Concerns?
|age_33|height_1.95m|weight_82kg|race_ithorian|mentor_gabe.alkorda|padawan_valon.rachius|li.andru
Iverian Prey

Post by Iverian Prey »

Better yet, two people connected should always be able to "Sense" each other-if such a thing is possible.

Any why isn't bonding used more in general? :p That is the only case I know of where it is used.
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

I still think lvl5 mind trick should trump all except lvl5 sense, in which case it would depend on who has a higher level, or who has higher xp. if they have the same xp, they should fight to the death.
Kenta
Lost One

Post by Kenta »

*sword and shield?* well it makes sense to me, you're practically directly linked to the person you have the bond with.
RP Age: 126 Next Birthday: 371.1
Stupid is a disease spreading at an alarming rate. - Kenta
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Completely disagree. Or I'll just remove all bonds on my account.

Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

I agree with Gabe and Ctathos. In canon, bonds were incredibly rare, and weren't mentioned much at all. We overuse and abuse them enough as it is. In my opinion, only an incredibly life-altering experience with someone else, possibly nearly fatal, warrants a bond with them. More along these lines of discussion, however, cloaking yourself shouldn't have anything to do with a bond. It's a mind trick (normally), so a bond shouldn't affect it.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Corinth Alkorda wrote:I agree with Gabe and Ctathos. In canon, bonds were incredibly rare, and weren't mentioned much at all. We overuse and abuse them enough as it is. In my opinion, only an incredibly life-altering experience with someone else, possibly nearly fatal, warrants a bond with them.
I agree 110%. I was extremely suprised at the amount of force bonds people have in JEDI.

It's almost like "Hey you're my bestest friend. Wanna bond?"
It shouldn't be something you just "switch on" unanimously just because you like eachother. Nor do I believe simply being a Master and Padawan is strong enough to merit one.

I personally think it would be interesting to share a Force bond with somebody you completely Hate.

Oh the drama. :)

I think that motioning for this would cause more people to form needless Force Bonds because it gives them an edge in-game.

Sorry Moza, buddy.

Ze'eal
Lost One

Post by Ze'eal »

IMO, Bonds should be used sparingly, and only with HC approval, in order to create a storyline. and even then, it should only be a story element, not so much a tweaking of the engine, but something that's strictly IC.

Changing a part of the combat/force system due to a bond would be detrimental to the RP in some ways, I think, though, to be honest. I can't elaborate, due to my lack of knowledge when it comes to RPmod.
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Vantus wrote: I personally think it would be interesting to share a Force bond with somebody you completely Hate.

Oh the drama. :)
I like it. :)

Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

Corinth Alkorda wrote:

We overuse and abuse them enough as it is.

Quite right, and I don't say that just because this feature wouldn't make any difference to me at all (Given that Syrena is immune to mindtricks). I say it because it really is a pointless feature that wouldn't make much sense anyway. Sorry :?[/center]
Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

Force Bonds are canonically rare, a 'heightened' awareness of those you are close to - like your master - is less rare.

That said, cloaking is totally separate.

If Ctathos cloaks, NO ONE is going to find him. Except those with unnatrually good sensing abilities and even then they have to be aware that he's cloaked in the first place to know to sense.

Thus I have to disagree with your suggestion Moza.
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Just to follow-up on what others are saying -- Force bonds are often used to simulate the "heightened awareness" between a Master and Padawan, though in certain cases, yes, the relationship is strong enough that it's fair to call it a true bond (and you'll even see some pairs without bonds in RPmod...). Otherwise, I agree with the sentiment that bonds are truly rare and should have compelling RP reasons.

On that note, Jamus and I have always RPed in our Force bond sparingly: we'll often use it almost like echolocation, sending a blank message as a 'ping' to either let the other know we are near or to 'establish' a definitive connection. Alternatively, if we have strong emotions, we might convey them to the other through bond. Using it to actually say a sentence through bond is uncommon for us. Lastly, some of this connection has now dissolved upon my Knighting (and continues to fade), so we use it even less frequently now -- obviously giving him a chance to establish a bond with his new Padawan, if he so chooses.

I would like to see a few minor benefits/effects of bonds outside of sensing, but otherwise, I don't think just any sense level should even be able to break the other's cloaking abilities. This especially makes sense in light of a Master/Padawan relationship. While the Master may be quite effective at using the "bond" or "enhanced connection', the Padawan is likely quite inept and therefore the Master should have little problem at all at cloaking themselves.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

And so, we can deduce that indeed, E=mc^2.
Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

Gabe Alkorda wrote:And so, we can deduce that indeed, E=mc^2.
All in all, it all comes down to the cat-in-a-box thought experiment.