Last Origin Spawn

Post your ideas and suggestions here
=Nika=Reen=

Last Origin Spawn

Post by =Nika=Reen= »

Greetings,

I have a suggestion if possible and if it isn't already mentioned by someone else, Is making a point of origin saver, Which will save the last place of a ::JEDI:: Member's last location as he exits the server/game.

Full Description;

When a member of the ::JEDI:: Exits the server, the server will save a text document alike with the members i.p address and their last origin, and possibly their last emotion that they were using.

When a member connects again, It will load the i.p text file with the members last place of origin and emotion (If possible) and will either make the member spawn to that location, Or, Spawn by the default info_player_start entity and the server will then teleport the member to the location he/she was last.

Hope this all makes sence and would be brilliant if possible.

Thanks,
Nika Reen
Nika Reen Skin - 06/11/08 RP Age = 8, Species = Togruta
Ommar
Lost One

Post by Ommar »

I love that idea, good thinking!
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Would only need to record coordinates and account name.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
Lost One

Post by Nira'kalen'nuruodo »

A good idea, but it would force us to pick a spot to disconnect carefully. Sometimes there just isn't the time to trek back to the dorms. However, if this was presented as a spawning option, (e.g. Spectate, Join or Join From Last Location) it would be useful.

It would be better to record the member's account, rather than IP address. Account names identify individual members, rather than simply where they're logging on from. Also, if two ::JEDI:: members happen to use the same computer... Problems will occur.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
|age_53|height_1.7m|weight_85kg|species_chiss|mentor_cyril.feraan|padawan_eugen.darkrider_nastajja.arren|

Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

I've thought a lot about this as well and have concluded that I'm not in for this feature. While it may be useful in some situations, I can think of aplenty more RP situations, where this wouldn't be appropriate and would/could be abused. If you are gone (even if it's only for a few hours), you rarely stay in the same place. This could of course be solved by navigating back to the dorms, everytime you have to log out. But then, what do we need this for?

The only real advantage it seems to give, is staying in the same place when reconnecting. And that really isn't a huge advantage at all.
=Nika=Reen=

Post by =Nika=Reen= »

Greetings again,

In reply to Larkit, I do agree with you however, the feature can be an optional feature for every JEDI Member with the use of a command "/rpsavelocation" for example, And if you so choose to return to that very location you can use the command "/rploadlocation".

I think this kind of feature is needed for most people who leave the server/game when their character is sleeping in the dorms, instead of having to run back to where you last were located you can have the command to teleport you back if you understand what i mean.

Therefore making it easier and quicker to get back to roleplaying.

Thanks,
Nika Reen.
Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

I still see it being abused. Role playing should start from the moment you join the server and enter the game. Currently, whenever I'm on the server, people tend to crowd up in the dojo, with this feature, I think we would see this tendency grow even more, as people would rarely stumble into each other in the hallways, etc., as the easiest way would be to simply spawn wherever the action is. I may be pessimistic, but I imagine situations where this might unintentionally interfere with the RP.
Ommar
Lost One

Post by Ommar »

Now that you mention it, I stand by what Larkit said.
Atrux Nuro
Lost One

Post by Atrux Nuro »

I'm with Larkit as well. Though I love RP mod and I thank anyone who had any part in developing it. SOME things should be left to the imagination.
Species: Lorrdian|Age: 41|Height: 1.88 M|Weight: 93 KG|Birthdate: .02|Mentor(s): Coren Ran// Roan Takk

"I'm willing to die for my beliefs. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Rash Loist for Jedi Master level 2
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Honestly I don't understand why anyone would have anything against this.

If you join spectator or leave the game, when you come back, you have the option of rejoining where you left off. Obviously, there should be rules about it such as "no spawn saving in public areas" and what-not, but it makes sense, and saves you from having to run across the Temple, which is a much larger and worse "breach of RP".

Good idea, and I'm pretty sure it *has* been brought up before, though I'm not positive.
Kenta
Lost One

Post by Kenta »

Really it just concerns judgment, if this is a menu selection from spectator a person will need to check the saved spot to see what's going on, the only problem i can see with this is if the halls end up even more barren than before, because someone might be too lazy to put in a bit of logic into the spawning in that some may very well come from the dorms. (or just doesn't want to deal with it)
RP Age: 126 Next Birthday: 371.1
Stupid is a disease spreading at an alarming rate. - Kenta
Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

I still have a bad feeling about this. I doubt people will abide such rules often and it is a going to be a vague line, when something's "public" and when it isn't.

Then we got kill-spawning as well, as a major issue that might occur, if we don't look at the RP reasons for not implementing this. It would theoretically be possible to track the nearest free spot, but is it worth the time coding such a pathfinding? (Surely it would, if it could be applied to other spawn points as well...)
Another question then is, how many spawn points does JKA support and can those be extended with modding?
Arikakon Genkal
Lost One

Post by Arikakon Genkal »

It'll definitely help for me, since my processor seems to overclock on default settings. Speaking of which, if anyone can help with that, it would be greatly appreciated :P

"Laws are like sausages. You don't want to see them being made." ~Otto von Bismarck
Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

It hasn't been mentioned before Gabe. I think beyond this having the option of spawning where you've died is worthwhile too (with the exception of lava pits etc...), particularly when our map incorporates death lasers.

As far as spawning near the action is concerned, this compounds the issue that right now we're really not utilizing space as we could. It worries me that people simply sit in the dojo waiting for something 'exciting' to happen. But now I'm off topic...

All in all, a nice idea, and if it's easy enough to code it would be nice if Santa Soh could grant us our wish before Christmas. :twisted:
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
=Nika=Reen=

Post by =Nika=Reen= »

Greetings Again,

In reply to Jared, I just spoke to Soh not long ago about this feature, Currently he is have a good think about how he should go about this the best way (If he is going to add this feature though, There might be many who disagree).

Abuse did come to mind, however, I think it is best to keep the feature restricted to JEDI Members with the rank of 'Padawan' or higher to have authority to preform this command.

Also sadly i doubt very much it'll be before or on or slightly after christmas day, however would be a nice treat indeed.

I think this kind of feature would take abit of coding as well, so it would add up to take abit of time to do.

Anyways,

Thanks,
Nika Reen.