First Person View

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Rash Loist
Lost One

First Person View

Post by Rash Loist »

Simple idea really, I would just like the effect to be able to toggle into first person view but the view to be able to look down and see your hands your body and your legs would be a real cool idea. It would also make lightsaber combat a lot more interesting and harder if you decide to switch to first person view.
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

I think this would make excellent immersion not just for lightsaber combat but also for map navigation and RP.

I know it's "possible" using camera altering mods but it would be much nicer if there was a simple toggle button rather than having to sit for 5 minutes configuring your camera correctly everytime you wanted to switch between 1st and 3rd person.

If it's possible, i'd vouch for it!

Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Corinth mentioned several times about his custom view settings which made it something similar to what you're asking for.
Nira'kalen'nuruodo
Lost One

Post by Nira'kalen'nuruodo »

It is possible, it's been done in other mods (most importantly the open-source OJP) under the name "True View" and I've suggested it before.

But yeah, I'm all for it, not so much for the lightsaber aspect but definately for use with the melee "weapon". Wandering the Temple in first-person is so much more immersive than third-person. Plus, TrueView is completely customisable for use with models of all shapes and sizes and can be completely disabled if it's not your thing.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
|age_53|height_1.7m|weight_85kg|species_chiss|mentor_cyril.feraan|padawan_eugen.darkrider_nastajja.arren|

Rash Loist
Lost One

Post by Rash Loist »

Yes and also sorry if you have sugguested it in the past.
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

Alkur Tekeil wrote:Corinth mentioned several times about his custom view settings which made it something similar to what you're asking for.
I combine cg_thirdPersonCameraDamp 0.03 (which gives a more cinematic real-life-looking feel) with cg_thirdPersonRange (5-15, depending on the height of the character) to get a nice first person camera.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Rash Loist
Lost One

Post by Rash Loist »

I tried this but due to Rash being a beast I can make out my eyes and mouth when I do it.
Moza Ferorn
Lost One

Post by Moza Ferorn »

All hail Dhiro (Larkit)! He has a .cfg and appropriate information, but the only downside is it requires invisible skins. I don't think it would be possible to have the first person view in MP because of the varieties of models. For instance, my Ithorian's head sticks out longer than that of anyone I have seen. So, I would see the back of my trunk (or w/e you want to call it)
|age_33|height_1.95m|weight_82kg|race_ithorian|mentor_gabe.alkorda|padawan_valon.rachius|li.andru
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

A solution to having to have an invisible skin (as it makes it rather bad for those watching), is to simply un-cheat protect cg_thirdpersonalpha. I was testing it just now, and apparently even if you set it to 0, others still see you completely solid, whereas on your screen you're invisible. This, coupled with teh settings dhiro listed could easily do for a first person view, although it's not quite the "true view" Rash is hoping for (and I'd like to see it implemented too).
Dhiro

Post by Dhiro »

Oh yeah, I was thinking of writing a guide on how to get a realistic 1st person view, but due to issues with my computer I sorta forgot it. I have modified the skin file locally and with shaders, so that it does not display the head and disables backface-culling, to prevent the camera from looking through the model's inside. Being able to set cg_thirdPersonAlpha would probably be the most optimal solution, though, for those not interested in fiddling with their skin files.
Popular to contrary belief, the first time you read this, you won't notice any odd use of words.
Aeon Xarbon
Lost One

Post by Aeon Xarbon »

What about fiddling with \cg_fov? I mean, that's what I wanna do when I wanna get a good look at something that should be right in Aeon's face. Only problem is when you try to talk, you get the chat bubble in the middle of the screen and it just kills the entire purpose in my opinion.
Ommar
Lost One

Post by Ommar »

You could disable the chat box, though the downside is that it would be disabled for everyone (In your view).
Drasli Khaar

Post by Drasli Khaar »

or instead of a chatbox you have an animation. Like maybe, your character thinking? that way everyone knows you are talking
Dhiro

Post by Dhiro »

For those of you interested, using an invisible model with these configuration files, will you give you a somewhat realistic first person feel (extract the files in your base or rpmod folder). To make sure other people still sees your model, you should modify your skin files locally.
If you, for some reason, cannot seem to get invisible textures, download this PK3, put it in your base or rpmod folder, and change the paths of your skins to "transparency/blank.tga", in your skin files. (I have actually not tested this, as I cannot play JKA, but it should work... In theory.)

The 1PV.cfg binds F8 to toggle between first person and third person. (Please note, this will overwrite all binds set to F8, once executed, during your current session. Modify the configuration file to change the bound key).

The LOOK.cfg will bind your arrow keys to rotate the camera, without rotating your character. There have been set a limit to 120 degrees in each direction (left, right), for a more realistic view. For a full 360 degrees view, download this and extract it in your base or rpmod folder.

Any questions, feel free to contact me.
Popular to contrary belief, the first time you read this, you won't notice any odd use of words.