XP Records

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

XP Records

Post by Sared Kilvan »

As of right now, XP allotment is recorded in student journals by the individual giving said XP. I was wondering if a sort of mini-record could be used on the bio's section of the website, below the force templates. Simply to show how much, when, and by whom the experience was given. I know that it is a simple matter of record-keeping, but it would also give a more condensed view of experience gains as opposed to sifting through journal entries.

Lynee'alin
Exiled

Post by Lynee'alin »

I proposed it in the past, and I believe Cyril and Gabe are already incorporating it by editing the very first post of the journals of their Padawan(s) to have that extra list you mentioned added/adjusted.
So, this can be done via the forum journals. As for Initiates, anyone with the ability to edit the first post of the journals (containing the power template/account properties) could add and maintain the list.
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Good idea, Sared. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a record (but that does presume that people stick to it, and that's a long shot).
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

I'm simply curious: what is the point of this proposal? I don't see an actual purpose it would serve.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Sared Kilvan
Lost One

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Like I said, just simple record-keeping. It could be used to compare the progress of an individual during certain periods of time, or in comparison to another individual. Also, it would be accessible via the holonet Bios rather than just the journals.

Lynee'alin
Exiled

Post by Lynee'alin »

My idea was that adding such a list to the first post of a journal would create two platforms from which XP allocation could be observed: through posts in journals and through transferring the post (the XP given with it) into the list. Or the other way round: through adding XP allocation to the list, and then posting in the journal. Either way would serve as a simple reminder of XP that has been forgotten to be applied.

But the list becomes obsolete if the mentors correctly and timely allocate all XP their Padawan(s) have gained, without forgetting to validate/add any XP.

It shouldn't be used to compare XP allocation between peers, though, as this would breed the thought of contest and adversary, which the XP-system is obviously not about.
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I like this idea.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

Eh...I just don't see a point to doing this. I'm not in favor of it.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

I use a very distinct system of tracking all grants that have led to currently unapplied XP. I list the possibilities that the currently unapplied XP can be allocated to (such as telekinesis) then let my Padawan choose what he would like to allocate the XP to. I then update the Point Tracker to allocate more XP towards the next level of a certain power. Once enough points have been accumulated to apply a certain power, all listings of grants that led to that power are deleted, as it is no longer necessary to track those grants (the progress has been completed). I assure you this alone is not only enough to ensure realism, but enough work on the part of the admin. A full log seems nice for administrative purposes, maybe, but if one suspects a real issue or discrepancy, then it's probably just worth digging through old pages within the Journal. Therefore, I do not really think this is necessary. Besides, if you forget to apply the XP, in my experience, you probably will forget to update the log of XP grants...

The key is having a logical system that allows you to see if there are any discrepancies. I'll explain mine, to show how I can always figure out if I have made an error, while using my system to achieve a greater precision with XP allocation.

For example, let's say my Padawan has 12 of 15 XP points accumulated towards Push 2.

He attends a Force Mastery class and receives 2 XP for his efforts, which I approve and apply to his account. Let's say this Force Mastery lesson was on Telekinesis:

I'll specify:
Master Ran - 2 XP (Telekinesis)
and make that a hyperlink to the specific post in which Master Ran granted that XP to my Padawan

When my Padawan comes online, I'll ask him what he wants that XP allocated to. He says Push 2, so I update it to read:
Master Ran - 2XP (Telekinesis) (allocated towards Push)
Then I'll update his Point Tracker to read "Push 2, 14/15 XP"

Say, however, my Padawan does another lesson that afternoon with me, and we also work on Telekinesis. He'd get:
Master Feraan - 1 XP (Telekinesis)
Then he has 14/15 XP in his Tracker, so he decides to also allocate this towards Push.
Master Feraan - 1 XP (Telekinesis) (allocated towards Push)
Now he will reach 15/15 XP towards Push 2, so I message him telling him he may now apply Push 2, then update the Tracker to read:
Push 3, 0/20
I then proceed to delete any grants that contributed towards that earned power.

I hope anyone reading this realizes how thorough such a process can be and why I do not want to start having to also log every single grant in addition to this. There are only 24 hours in a day. :)

XP has a definite function, but there is a fair and consistent set of rules in place, and this is discussed between the JEDI Knights, Masters, and the subsequent body of authority, the JEDI Council. We monitor it on a cursory level to ensure the system in place remains fair to as many people as possible. In the end, we have to remember XP is just a means of generally expressing progress and getting to unlock some new powers that are appropriate for our characters, but RP is what makes JEDI function. XP may never be perfect, but as long as we don't take it overly seriously, there isn't a problem. Trust us to make sure things are in line. If the JEDI Council needs further logging or regulation enforced, they will let us know.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Xaran Varc

Post by Xaran Varc »

I think it's a good idea. It's a safe line that students don't go around applying XP to something they have never trained.

I think it's beneficial for both mentor and student.
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Xaran Varc wrote:I think it's a good idea. It's a safe line that students don't go around applying XP to something they have never trained.
I understand how you feel there Xaran but the truth is students simply should NOT be applying XP to skills their character has not been instructed in.

It should be a Mentor's responsibility to keep an eye on their Padawan. If the Mentor suddenly realises their Padawan has Speed 1 for example, when the Mentor did NOT instruct the Padawan, then the Mentor should confront the Padawan as to why they added it.

As for the suggestion, I kind of agree with Lynee. This would create an awful lot of competition and again put emphesis on XP which the latest HC update has announced, is NOT the purpose of JEDI.

And as Cyril's post highlighted, this would take a hack of a lot of constant maintanance.

Xaran Varc

Post by Xaran Varc »

Vantus wrote:
Xaran Varc wrote:I think it's a good idea. It's a safe line that students don't go around applying XP to something they have never trained.
I understand how you feel there Xaran but the truth is students simply should NOT be applying XP to skills their character has not been instructed in.
That's what I said...
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

I know what you said Xaran, perhaps you misunderstood me.

You're saying this would be a good cure or prevention method for people randomly applying XP.

I'm saying there should be no NEED for a cure or prevention method for people randomly applying XP.

I'm just saying people should be more responsible and Masters should keep an eye on their padawans. This way there would be no need for cumbersome progress monitoring tables.

Sared Kilvan
Lost One

Post by Sared Kilvan »

I'm also making this suggestion in the broader, developmental sense of of RPMod. This kind of logging feature might be useful for another group/clan to use once RPMod goes public.

Atrux Nuro
Lost One

Post by Atrux Nuro »

Corinth Alkorda wrote:Eh...I just don't see a point to doing this. I'm not in favor of it.
Species: Lorrdian|Age: 41|Height: 1.88 M|Weight: 93 KG|Birthdate: .02|Mentor(s): Coren Ran// Roan Takk

"I'm willing to die for my beliefs. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Rash Loist for Jedi Master level 2