Force Absorb / Resistance

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Re: Force Absorb / Resistance

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Vantus wrote:
Jamus Kevari wrote: I know downgrading powers isn't usually a popular idea
Nonsense!!! I'm drilling that line all the time.

I still believe (regardless of counter-arguement) that Consulars are far more over-powered and advanteous than that of Sentinel or Guardian simply because of their FP and FP-regeneration rates. Combine it with Heal and you have an unbeatable opponent.

This suggestion will at least cut-off their seemlingly Unlimited supply of FP's even if for a short while. This will make things a little more "realistic" and balanced at the same time.
I agree with you that general cases of seemingly unlimited FP ought to be cut back on (I've been one to try to formulate various stamina systems or restrictions in the past...), but I disagree with your thesis. Consulars have a lower max HP. Even if I could quickly heal back to my maximum HP at level 19 (120 something HP), all it really takes is one or two hits to destroy me faster than I can blink, so the healing may not even really matter. Guardians on the other hand have lower FP (significantly lower) but still at higher levels can regen fast enough to maintain a good rate of healing. Then, they are able to heal to 200+ HP, which is more than enough to survive assault and provide time to heal again. But given that doing that denies them much FP to use on other powers...I'd wager the Sentinel because they have enough FP to handle any situation and enough HP to give them time to recover from most big hits.

We can therefore go back and forth on what is really the most unbalanced class.

To get back to the original topic, I'm fine with any system for Absorb as long as it provides for weaknesses instead of infinite resistance.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Cyril Feraan wrote: To get back to the original topic, I'm fine with any system for Absorb as long as it provides for weaknesses instead of infinite resistance.
That about sums up my feelings on the topic.

As for your theory behind Consular vs Guardian vs Sentinel.

Even with our advanced HP, Guardians are no less susceptible to insta-death from the one-move-wonders. No less than Consulars or Sentinels and when you see Consulars weilding Red Stance (which is capable of killing you in 1-2 hits) when they are meant to have reduced lightsaber arts focus, they really are top of the game.

It's SLIGHTLY off topic but at the same time it isn't. It's the reason why i'm supporting this suggestion! :)

Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Vantus wrote:
Cyril Feraan wrote: To get back to the original topic, I'm fine with any system for Absorb as long as it provides for weaknesses instead of infinite resistance.
That about sums up my feelings on the topic.

As for your theory behind Consular vs Guardian vs Sentinel.

Even with our advanced HP, Guardians are no less susceptible to insta-death from the one-move-wonders. No less than Consulars or Sentinels and when you see Consulars weilding Red Stance (which is capable of killing you in 1-2 hits) when they are meant to have reduced lightsaber arts focus, they really are top of the game.

It's SLIGHTLY off topic but at the same time it isn't. It's the reason why i'm supporting this suggestion! :)
It's true, but it's not true in some sense. Technically, yes, any well placed hit can defeat anyone, the odds are infinitely greater of surviving a strong hit or fan the more your maximum HP increases. This especially applies in spars utilizing the Force. It's very difficult to place a hit that takes 200+ HP off of a level 20 Guardian, for example. It's not as challenging to take 120 HP from your average Consular.

Consulars are necessarily weaker in combat, and certainly not more powerful. I can't tell you how often I might have won a match if I was another class, but that's part of the design of my character. If I wanted to be a master of the lightsaber arts, I would have chosen Guardian.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Xaran Varc

Post by Xaran Varc »

Vantus wrote:
Jamus Kevari wrote: I know downgrading powers isn't usually a popular idea
Nonsense!!! I'm drilling that line all the time.

I still believe (regardless of counter-arguement) that Consulars are far more over-powered and advanteous than that of Sentinel or Guardian simply because of their FP and FP-regeneration rates. Combine it with Heal and you have an unbeatable opponent.
That's such an unfair statement. You choose to be a Guardian, a Sentinel or a Consular, don't blame it on the class. All these classes have their advantages and their disadvantages. Anyway, that's beside the point. I agree with this above mentioned suggestion. Absorption is a rare ability among the Jedi. It should remain so.

I get the impression that we more than often forget that many Jedi were not that spectacular in their abilities or even in their connection to the Force. Only a select few, who had dedicated themselves to a certain ability, came close to really mastering it.
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Xaran Varc wrote: That's such an unfair statement. You choose to be a Guardian, a Sentinel or a Consular, don't blame it on the class.
It's a perfectly fair statement. Like Cyril, I chose my class based on Vantus' character and mentality towards training. Purely for RP. I didn't take the class that would give me an advantage in game mechanics and let me beat people more in spars.
In otherwords, I didn't chose Consular then spend my entire JEDI career focusing on Lightsaber combat - its complete opposite.

My statement purely calls for some attention to be given to the classes, reducing some of the things that otherwise give them too much of an advantage. Don't get me wrong, I like certain advantages, so long as they are fair.

This suggestion made by Jamus is one step closer in that direction and I like it! :)

Sasha Raven
Lost One

Post by Sasha Raven »

Maybe I'm just old fashion. :lol:
Hm...I like it.
I'm sorry, I don't support this.
|height_5.11ft.|race_human| mentor_corinth.alkorda|Skin : http://www.gamefront.com/files/24280582/Sasha.zip
Jamus Kevari
Lost One

Post by Jamus Kevari »

Level 25 Guardian: 250/250 HP + 100 FP = 600 Total Points.
Level 25 Sentinel: 200/200 HP + 200 FP = 600 Total Points.
Level 25 Consular: 150/150 HP + 250 FP = 550 Total Points.

If anything, it would seem that Consulars would be at a disadvantage. Personally, I feel that Guardians and Consulars both have unique strengths that, when used properly, can be used to gain an advantage over the typical Sentinel in full-Force spars. The Sentinel matches this by closing the gap of advantages against Guardians in Consulars in HP and FP, in comparison to if a Guardian and Consular were to engage in combat. (In this instance, it is beneficial to play to one's stregnths: the Guardian using their larger HP to combat head-on more frequently, and the Consular using the Force to negate the more limited abilities of a Guardian and their smaller Force pool, and slowly chop away at their health.) When discussing healing in spars, perhaps it would be best if the stipulations would limit it. In my opinion, I see it much too often.

In any case, classes should always be chosen on an in-character basis, rather than for simple out of character preferences.

I suggest that if this topic still merits more discussion by some of you that a new thread is created so that we may keep this topic on-track. :)
Iverian Prey

Post by Iverian Prey »

Whatever way is decided best, I support this.
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Solution:

We'll RP farmers instead of Jedi. Blue Harvest Moon anyone?
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Corinth Alkorda wrote: Level 1 - drain a lot
Level 2 - drain a little
Level 3 - drain/gain nothing
Level 4 - gain a little
Level 5 - gain a lot
I like.

Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Vantus wrote:I still believe (regardless of counter-arguement) that Consulars are far more over-powered and advanteous than that of Sentinel or Guardian simply because of their FP and FP-regeneration rates. Combine it with Heal and you have an unbeatable opponent.
All it takes is Master Loist on Rage or Master Kevari on nothing to take me down quickly and efficiently. With enough skill, you can beat anyone regardless of whatever game mechanics may seem to "get in the way".

As for the little note about the power only draining when it's actually being used (not when activated), that would tie in very nicely to this suggestion I put up a while back.

AAAAND as for this suggestion itself, I completely agree, especially with level 3 not draining or adding. It's a great "fix" for the current system.