Roll stab

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Would a compromise be just to reduce the amount of FP needed to do all these special moves then?
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Zeak Dystiny wrote:Would a compromise be just to reduce the amount of FP needed to do all these special moves then?
That's a goodun'.

::EDIT::

I'll also add that Katas don't bother me. They can remain the same but Lunges and Stab Rolls would be my two to reduce. Keep in mind also, that this would apply to everyone so it's a win situation for all.

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I agree with Vantus. The red and yellow jump attacks I could see needing the force to do, but as for as the blue lunge and the roll stab, none is really needed.

i had my friend over and we did a experiment. I have been doing Martial Arts since I'm 4 and he has not training what so ever. We took a wooden sword and each tried it. I didn't have much a problem with it. He, though kind of sloppy, pulled it off. I'm sure that if I or someone else taught him how to actually roll, he could do it quite fine. We are no Jedi by any means :P
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Moza Ferorn
Lost One

Post by Moza Ferorn »

Gabe Alkorda wrote:Force and stamina are so closely intertwined, it's perfectly realistic to use a single bar to represent the two within game physics.

I hate it as much as the next guy, but I think it's realistic and imposes a nice limit on performing such moves. I also don't want to mess with the combat system in such a way.
You all mention a Stamina bar. The FP pool is just that! It may not always have to be your FP count, for IC there really isn't any. But if it hits zero, then guess what? You're probably exhausted.
|age_33|height_1.95m|weight_82kg|race_ithorian|mentor_gabe.alkorda|padawan_valon.rachius|li.andru
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Moza Ferorn wrote: You all mention a Stamina bar. The FP pool is just that! It may not always have to be your FP count, for IC there really isn't any. But if it hits zero, then guess what? You're probably exhausted.
Following that logic, every time I hit Zero FP (which is like all the time) I would need to stop and rest. It's called "Force Points" for a reason. If it were stamina, it would be called stamina.

As a 34 Year old Guardian (yes i'm sorry to go on about it) who's training is vastly combat orientated rather than studying in the archives, you'd think I'd be able to exert mysef more than say, a bookworm or Jedi diplomat who give little focus on physical training. That's not the case and that's because these moves are comming out of a "Force" Pool which Consulars are rife with.

Stamina suggests physical exertion. Throwing your Lightsaber Or Healing yourself would hardly be an "Exhausting" experience especially if Healing is well... Restoring your health and recovering. Yet both of those take up Force Points.

I'm just quite suprised that all the usual suspects begging for realism are backing up the gaming aspect for once. It just so happens, that each of those are Consulars, Sentinel or above Knight level and are incidently, unaffected by this due to their Force Pool.

I suppose in the end, the majority have spoken here and that's important. :)

However I still think it's a good suggestion and worth taking a moment to think about and thats not just me being selfish here.
Sure i'm affected by it but i'm also thinking about the student body as well as other young Guardians. It's speaking from experience, in hopes to make it fair for all, not a selfish desire to make myself l33t.
I just wanted to clarify that. :)

Kelch Chilar

Post by Kelch Chilar »

Stamina suggests physical exertion. Throwing your Lightsaber Or Healing yourself would hardly be an "Exhausting" experience especially if Healing is well... Restoring your health and recovering. Yet both of those take up Force Points.
It doesn't have to be a stamina pool. We could always think of something like... When you roll your shields are useless for about 1 second or something silly like that. Because lets be honest, the roll is a huge *HUGE* mistake when and if you miss it and if you look at the animation he's just BEGGING to get sliced down. Think of it as a practical way of balancing and adding a sense of realism. But if we do it this way, I think the damage should be increased as its kind of the "chips are down" kind of thing.

the epic wordness of the interwebs echoes this! The harder you try, the harder you fail!
Last edited by Kelch Chilar on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please download my skin
Updated 09/03/09
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

Vantus wrote:In my opinion, I think the Force Penalty should be removed from ALL saber moves and if somebody is being an idiot and spamming a move unrealistically, it should be dealt with in the same fashion we deal with people that use too many kickflips or saber throws.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Li Andru
Exiled

Post by Li Andru »

Corinth Alkorda wrote:
Vantus wrote:In my opinion, I think the Force Penalty should be removed from ALL saber moves and if somebody is being an idiot and spamming a move unrealistically, it should be dealt with in the same fashion we deal with people that use too many kickflips or saber throws.
can there be added a fatigue bar then? for realistic purposes
Saos Nartu (old)

Post by Saos Nartu (old) »

I disagree with that Li, this isn't OJP.
Jamus Kevari
Lost One

Post by Jamus Kevari »

How about everyone uses the katas and roll stabs sparingly, if even for the sole reason that using them usually means an easy counter and death?

But seriously, my personal opinion is that the Force cost is fine. No need to make any changes.
Li Andru
Exiled

Post by Li Andru »

Whats OJP? I think a fatigue bar would be awesome! they have them in a lot of other games, and it helps with realism cause a LOT of people don't normally do fatigue from what I seen. I think it would be a dandy addition.
Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Why don't people use the Force Pool as a suggestion/guide to a characters possible exhaustion? Don't *have* to follow it but it puts forward that it might require a decent amount of energy to do such a move.
Kelch Chilar

Post by Kelch Chilar »

Jamus Kevari wrote:How about everyone uses the katas and roll stabs sparingly, if even for the sole reason that using them usually means an easy counter and death?

But seriously, my personal opinion is that the Force cost is fine. No need to make any changes.
boom
Please download my skin
Updated 09/03/09
Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

OJP is painful. Death to it!
Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

Corinth Alkorda wrote:
I agree with Vantus that it sort of makes no sense for a Guardian to have less abilitity to perform certain saber moves because he has less Force Points. It's a bit contradictory to what a guardian is. I would support the removal of needing FP, or at least a very nice reduction. Is it possible to reduce the requirement for guardians only, perhaps?

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron