Disabling Name Change Announcements?

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Disabling Name Change Announcements?

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

So, in the course of RPing (particularly on Galaxy), a lot of people change their names to those of a different character - a pseudonym for a non-Jedi PC, and so on. However, these changes are all announced at the top of our screens with each one performed.

Would it be possible to remove this? That way such things could be done with some anonymity, so nobody would necessarily know who was changing their names and to what, to preserve some of the integrity of the RP.

Just a thought.
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Technically we're supposed to include our JEDI character names in parenthesis whenever we play a minor character, or a character in a mission.

I believe the thought behind this was to allow for things to be more succinct in terms of communication and whatnot.

While that may be good for missions, I find the use of parenthetical naming for minor characters somewhat stifling, as then most folks have a preconception of how they will interact with you.
Sasha Raven
Lost One

Post by Sasha Raven »

Alkur wrote:as then most folks have a preconception of how they will interact with you.
I can't really argue that. :)
|height_5.11ft.|race_human| mentor_corinth.alkorda|Skin : http://www.gamefront.com/files/24280582/Sasha.zip
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Hence why I think it'd be good to remove the name change announcements, in addition to the parentheses ;)
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

I agree with both suggestions. There's no need to have either parentheses with our real character names (in most scenarios) or display name changes in-game, though the former doesn't require any changes to RPmod.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

Cyril Feraan wrote:I agree with both suggestions. There's no need to have either parentheses with our real character names (in most scenarios) or display name changes in-game, though the former doesn't require any changes to RPmod.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I agree with both suggestion.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

I am totally for this. Sometimes people may wish to change names without it being announced in the aim of achieving a dramatic effect. Seeing the name change in advance kind of spoils it.

I also heartily concur with Alkur. People raise and lower their boundaries based on who they know is Role Playing specific characters.

/Support

Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

For being a second character: Disconnect, change your name in the menu /reconnect. You've changed your name without anyone knowing. And upon reconnecting, you will load the map faster to. /shrug
I am totally for this. Sometimes people may wish to change names without it being announced in the aim of achieving a dramatic effect. Seeing the name change in advance kind of spoils it.
That one however, I can't argue with. If you don't want to leave game and you want to do it on the spot for dramatic effect of revealing you're in fact someone else w/e then yeah I guess I support this change if it were to be implemented.
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

I could also point out that for things like promotions, while there is some dramatic effect to seeing the name change in the corner, eliminating it might be better for RP because we won't be as inclined to go seek that person out nor distracted by the event...(at least not without at least putting together the effort to peek at the console).

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

I'm quite sure that a toggle-able cvar could be made to turn off the announcements. That much I'm a fan of. I'm also down with dropping the requirement of secondary characters keeping their real name in parentheses. However, the (NAME)'s are important in missions, as it makes organization and instruction-giving much easier.
Nira'kalen'nuruodo
Lost One

Post by Nira'kalen'nuruodo »

Gabe Alkorda wrote:I'm quite sure that a toggle-able cvar could be made to turn off the announcements. That much I'm a fan of. I'm also down with dropping the requirement of secondary characters keeping their real name in parentheses. However, the (NAME)'s are important in missions, as it makes organization and instruction-giving much easier.
I couldn't agree more.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
|age_53|height_1.7m|weight_85kg|species_chiss|mentor_cyril.feraan|padawan_eugen.darkrider_nastajja.arren|

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

The only thing is, the anonymity of the name switch is compromised if everyone can just toggle it on or off for themselves ;)
Elsavira Zanshin

Post by Elsavira Zanshin »

It's a bit offtopic, but I think the mid screen: "Someone has joined game or killed himself" message should be removed too.

That said, I agree with this.
Iverian Prey

Post by Iverian Prey »

I support removing both the announcement in the corner and (name) in missions. Surely there is another way to do it in missions to keep anonymity and keep track of who is who. (( Perhaps a * by their name if they are someone the mission creator is relying on ))