Negative Effects of Dark-Side Powers?

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Garik Kelzim

Post by Garik Kelzim »

I think Ametha is right... :D
Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

Oh, I agree with her completely in that respect. But I also agree with Corinth, that really this could be done through solid RP rather than game mechanics. Master Denethorn stated the only point I'd make on this whole suggestion already:
In canon, it's well established that use of Dark Side energies can be damaging, and Jared suffered a fair amount of injury from his use of Storm, while Gabe and Phoe have both aged a fair amount due to their heavy use of the Force at a given time (admittedly not Dark Side, but reinforcing the idea of the Force's physical effects).
Two examples there, these things are quite easily done as it is in my opinion.
Last edited by Nivek Tholmai on Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Then Stickie it! i.e Stickie how a spar (within rp) should be done. 8)
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Garik Kelzim

Post by Garik Kelzim »

I think it would be cool if you used Lightning for too long...Your arms poped up :lol:

Nah... Stupid Idea but Both ideas are cool...If we could combine Mechanics + rp it would be great would it not?
Johauna Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Johauna Darkrider »

Nivek Tholmai wrote:Who jumps around an awful lot during spars :P
Jumping in spars is okay imho, as acrobatic jumps and aerial hits are part of Form IV: Ataru. I don't see problem with this. But using lightning in spars is imho too much... >.<
age --|height_1.65m|weight_54kg|race_human|mentor_ergo.stomi|jamus.kevari|arkallon
Nira wrote:I guess medicine isn't quite at the stage of being able to deal with stubborn Corellians.
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Lol. You're character's abilities/past warant the jumping and it isn't constant as far as I've seen. Areal attacks differ from constant spamming of jump by people who can't Know ataru.(Besides ataru is pwnt by makashi :P)

My problem is with the spam of jump not with the use of areal attacks. With Those Who use the attacks. Beacuse to learn ataru you need much flexibility, mental disipline and patience(Yes patience, so the ataru of jumping and striking waiting for the opponent to run into your web of doom is not ataru) i.e The sticky I request is for the sake of limiting the openness of spars...as in an eight year-old cant do a front flip then a back flip directly...
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

You've seen gymnasts I presume?

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Your character is a gymnist then? I'm trianing in martial arts and I have yet to see anyone other than a "reall master" with the skill level of perhaps Jamus pull the fighting via jumping off in a rythmatical pattern without breaking their neck.

Sparring while using acrobatics differs loads from using them alone and independantly. First you have to have knowledge of your opponents movements, cause when we strike we aim to hit or else we lose strenth and give away several gaps for the oponent to exploit. Second, you have to maintain knowledge of your environment to prevent falling over/breaking your neck on a pillar, the ground, or even tripping.

Third you have to mesh your strikes with the jump without getting hurt yourself such as dropping your saber, falling over...Fourth, kids, *most* kids do not have the level of skill necessary to pull *that* off without proper practice. Fifth and finally, anyone who uses the *force* to enhance their jumping abilities should have a fair level of experience with *the force*.

In conclusion, spamming jump or even using it without IC support of the ability would be like...geting force lightning at the age of ten. More importantly it would not be reall.

I would like to add: In terms of combat, it is preferable to finish your enemy off with the least expenditure of enegy, in the smallest time possible and with as much subtilty as possible. I think you've seen bruce lee or Chuck Norriss, you've watched UFC or WCL...the aim of fighting for your life is to "end" the enemy with "simple motions". When you stand eye to eye with an opponent, you will want to end the issue quickly lest you suffer epic failure.
Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

No but being trained in acrobatics and using the Force would allow you to jump more frequently. Issue here, is that it's jump. A burst of Force aiding your height. It's not some uber skill which requires years upon years of focus.

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

I agree with Corinth on this one, all of this can be done through good quality role playing. In regards to jumping about, at a young age it's true it's not an easy feat but as you get older it's something that comes with your conditioning and agility work (perhaps the added effect of force usage) that could help you last longer in moving around for extended periods of times. You also got to have the added effect of adrenaline, in a mission example I bet that I could run a lot longer and a lot faster with a rancor as my incentive.

However, I also think adding a restriction to a dark power really is only a case of so it can't be abused in 'spars' to which case you are then going to have to look at the light sided powers that with too much usage can also cause an effect on all characters. Though, it can be avoided by pointing it out to people as I've seen many a case where the same powers are used a bit more frequently than other variety.

It's a case of common sense and true quality in the RP rather than finding a way to restrict usage on a power - any power for that matter through the game. In a sense, it's like taking the fun out of it for others who do want to use it but again, it's then down to thinking ahead when using that in an RP enviroment, if they can't be trusted then I'm sure certain actions can be taken on this accounts.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
Lost One

Post by Nira'kalen'nuruodo »

In this little clan we call ::JEDI::, we roleplay Jedi, who shouldn't be using "dark" powers at a high level with any sort of regularity, thereby limiting the number of times there are going to be significant consequences. As plenty of people have mentioned before me, those few players that have used the Force to dangerous extents have RPed the consequences. Additional game mechanics aren't necessary, given how often it's going to come into play.

As far as I see it, if you get to the stage of having Storm and Drain at high levels, you should already know how and when to RP the consequences of those powers.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
|age_53|height_1.7m|weight_85kg|species_chiss|mentor_cyril.feraan|padawan_eugen.darkrider_nastajja.arren|

Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Sebastin and Akalen said it perfectly:
In regards to jumping about, at a young age it's true it's not an easy feat but as you get older it's something that comes with your conditioning and agility work
In this little clan we call ::JEDI::, we roleplay Jedi, who shouldn't be using "dark" powers at a high level with any sort of regularity
EDIT: The force isnt like a...permanent wing beneath your wings, It's the force, something which requires effort to listen to.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Did you not like my Rancor incentive line Ametha? ... man, tough crowd..

Anyway, Akalen said it perfectly in regards to the force power. I'm thinking from a more OOC context on server when I am alone or 'relaxing' with friends I wouldn't like these restrictions but when it comes to Role Play it's really down to common sense and maturity within quality RP.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Lol. I did. Heh. Ofcourse I used an insentive when rash threatened to tie my character to boards lololol. But, rp=rp=rp not rp=ooc skills hmm?
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Exactly,

OOC Skills + RP = Correct Restrictions.