Negative Effects of Dark-Side Powers?

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Hey not my fault I got all RL...When you use RL example I counters it :P But supernatural...to a degree. Why it would not sheild you? Because I don't think you can focus on channeling a supernatural current of energy that is ultra huge AND on harnessing sufficient energy to protect you from it...might I note to not boast the effects of the force, especially the light side, it is subtle not as "brash" as the darkside is. Healing transes take weeks if not months...Not days.

Also, you block it from its source? Won't that hinder the current of energy?
There *will* be damage to the user regardless if you can even block it that is.

Plus, the other alternative to immense concentration which would be ULTRA tiring i.e kill my char lol, you would have to use anger right? To protect you use peace right? How do these two states coexist?
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Because that'd be using two separate powers, instead of just the one. Besides, if you're busy focusing your intent and willpower upon blasting someone with electrical energies, you're usually not going to split your focus towards a different skill, unless you want to accidentally lose control and really have something to complain about :P
Iverian Prey

Post by Iverian Prey »

Although well thought out and well presented, I think that this idea just doesn't have the support to be carried out.

As Master Corinth said, it's kind of out of hand with the bickering at this point, in my opinion.

Maybe at a later time we can reassess it's value?
Sasha Raven
Lost One

Post by Sasha Raven »

In the upmost respect to those involved in this discussion.
I role play through Jedi academy for more reasons then just the JEDI community, if I did not like the platform or game engine that the role play was presented on I would not partake. SO, aside from the points I already made regarding this. I don’t like how every single suggestion for RP mod seems to be hacking chopping and otherwise toning down things that don’t need tweaking power wise, I like the BASE JA engine just fine and some powers are far better with slight changes and restrictions to prevent spam though I know it’s not the case, we should all be mature enough after RPing with the community for as amazingly long as it would take to get something like storm 5 to not abuse it. WE ALL KNOW how many people use lightning any how, not that many, right? Also, lightning is not shot from the hands it is projected from an area just outside the finger tips. If you shot lightning through your hands you would fry like a grilled cheese sandwich.

I am all for changing the color of Force Storm to meet a more reasonable RP place within the Jedi clan, though I really hope that we don’t bother wasting time changing something else that is just dandy the way it is.

Sorry about the long response and thank you for your time. This will be my last post in this matter. :wink:

Kind regards,
-SR
|height_5.11ft.|race_human| mentor_corinth.alkorda|Skin : http://www.gamefront.com/files/24280582/Sasha.zip
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

True I love the JKA engine and the combat system. But, issue is we need proper restrictions to certain powers which exceed game balance...

As for the Jedi version of lightning it is quite disputed and nothing indicates that it cant hurt:
Some members of the New Jedi Order such as Kyle Katarn and Jaden Korr also used Force lightning (colloquially known as "Emerald Lightning"), but it remained very controversial. Other Jedi practitioners of this power have been Jaina Solo, Jacen Solo, and Luke Skywalker.

Darth Desolous was able to cast red Sith lightning.
So...the lightning was refered to as emerald but was in reality a version of sith ligthtning used in different context. (Although such powers have one purpose really which is to eradicate the enemy, in opinion that is). Thus the execution does not differ the context.
Force lightning required a living conduit for the energy to be channeled; thus Darth Vader, despite being an immensely powerful Sith Lord, was never able to properly employ this ability, as all his limbs were prosthetics
Thus my idea that one can get damaged, you might "observe" the energy on the outside as if "not" emanating from the body...but in reality the channeling of the immense ammount of energy occurs with the body as a conduit. This means that a user of lightning "should" get hurt.

Now as to state that rping this out would be better because we can chose when and when not to get the effect...that is unrealistic. When you jump off a building in RL, do you chose "not" to get crippled?

Also, It appears that lightning "cannot" last more than 20 seconds. Which gave me an idea on how the damage can be put:

-First phase: -Duration: 5 seconds
-Effects on opponent: 3 HP damage per second for a total of 15 damage.
-Personal damage: 1 HP per-second for user for a total of 5

-Second phase: -Duration: 10 seconds
-Effects on opponent: 4 HP damage per-second for a total of 40.
-Personal damage: 2 HP per-second damage for a total of 20.

-Third Phase: -Duration:5 seconds

-Effects on opponent: 8 HP damage per-second for a total of 40.
-Personal damage: 6 HP per-second for a total of 25.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So...in my veiw point this is what a person with lightning from 1 to 3 should be subject to. When moving onto 4 all Personal effects are divided by half. When onto 5 All personal effects are negated except for the final phase which maintains an effect of 3.

This "should" be satisfactory to everyone.

To negate the effects the subject of electrocution must have an absorb level equal or higher to that of the attacker. But, the final phase "cannot" be negated as it is reduced minorly to 4 HP per-second.

Edit: Fp point progression is maintained so as that if a user doesn't have enough FP to progress onto phase2 he doesnt.
Last edited by Ametha Tasia on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Moza Ferorn
Lost One

Post by Moza Ferorn »

Iverian Prey wrote:As Master Corinth said, it's kind of out of hand with the bickering at this point, in my opinion.
Shall we get back on topic, please?
|age_33|height_1.95m|weight_82kg|race_ithorian|mentor_gabe.alkorda|padawan_valon.rachius|li.andru
Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

Back on topic i'd rather the MAJORITY of any limitation was left to simply being RPed. I wouldn't mind and perhaps would welcome a light amount of readjustment concerning the powers, who uses them and the 'cost' of them.

Canon-wise it was established (bearing in mind this was pre-Phantom Menace and Canon has been hacked apart by Lucas since then) that powers such as Lightning were VERY much a dark power and were practically impossible for a Jedi to use, due to the frame of mind, drive and simply due to the fact that the user feels an intent to do some form of damage. The only Jedi who could somehow do it were the rare Masters of immense power and control, such as Yoda.
In the latest canon, the 'dark' powers should only REALLY be used by followers of the Potentium Theory, a theory which most in the RP say they reject. :roll:

If anything certain powers should have higher drain levels and MAYBE shorter durations and lightning should probably be restricted to Masters rather than Knights also. Other than that i feel most restrictions should be RP-wise rather than left to mechanics.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Aduro Tovar

Post by Aduro Tovar »

I kindof agree with aslyn and corinth because some force penalties should be shown for those powers but we really do need to rp it and we could see some of the negative effects it has on our character so i support both.

:wink:
Species:Twi'lek