Right-handed Left-Handed

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Imil C. Ucindus
Lost One

Right-handed Left-Handed

Post by Imil C. Ucindus »

Just wondering shouldn't we have some members hold their lightsabers, blasters, etc in the opposite hand, for more realism?
I believe in myself. Do you believe in me?
Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

Yea, were it not for the Q3 coding on the game not allowing that methinks. You might be able to code the dual-saber stance onto a single saber so it goes into the right hand, but it wouldn't be practical.
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."
Eugen Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Eugen Darkrider »

I don't know much about coding and whatever.. But,
If I am not mistaken, JA its on Q3 engine, Half-Life its also on Q3 Engine.. And CS its a HF mod to say like that.
My point being its this:
In CS (technically using the Q3 engine) you had the option to change how you hold the weapon. Right side - left side. So this could be an option in RpMod if possible. Because it will be purely aesthetic..
Fighting animations will be the same. While standing the hilt will be in the left hand.

Well I don't know. But I think it might be simple to add as an option. *shrugs*

:P

Also, Olim, I believe what Imil said its just to hold the saber/blaster hilt/weapon in the other hand. not fight with it in that hand. That being my reply ^^
Last edited by Eugen Darkrider on Sun May 23, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masters: Nira'kalen'nuruodo | Iverian Prey | Aslyn Denethorn
Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

~Eugen, to note about CS, the weapon switch was only for the person holding it I believe.
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."
Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

This has been suggested on multiple occassions in actual fact. On each occassion I'm confident we've been well-informed that swapping from right-handed to left-handed would actually require a whole new series of animations.
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Nivek Tholmai wrote:This has been suggested on multiple occassions in actual fact. On each occassion I'm confident we've been well-informed that swapping from right-handed to left-handed would actually require a whole new series of animations.
This is correct.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Half-Life and CS were done on the same engine for Q2, a separate engine from Q3, and after there the similarities start to break off enough that I don't think a simple copy-paste of code would work. :? Even in those games, I don't think the hand switch was visual externally.

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Don't really see the point. Besides, like the Samurai (whom Jedi are based off of), the lightsaber is traditionally used with the right hand being the dominant "leader" or sword arm.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Plus, since the animations would effectively be mirrored, one would have to relearn how to duel.
Atrux Nuro
Lost One

Post by Atrux Nuro »

is it possible to switch a model in game so it's a mirror image (left becomes right, right becomes left)? That way the game see's it as right and left but backwars....I think.
Species: Lorrdian|Age: 41|Height: 1.88 M|Weight: 93 KG|Birthdate: .02|Mentor(s): Coren Ran// Roan Takk

"I'm willing to die for my beliefs. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Rash Loist for Jedi Master level 2
Ruluk
Lost One

Post by Ruluk »

Just a comment on CS. That Right/left handed option is the animation, mirrored, and it only shows on first-person camera. If you change it to left-handed, it changes everyone else as well (in your display, of course).

So, Left-handed is the same animation but mirrored, and it is shown on everyone, and only in first person view. Even if you could paste the same code into JA, it wouldn't work.

If you want to look left-handed.... go get a mirror and look at it when playing. :P

Jedi Padawan | Birth 275.08 | Initiation 280.31 | Master Fane Ornn'ila

Let's celebrate cause I've been with you guys for a RL year already! :D (not necessarily active all the time, but still!)