Selective Syncing

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Roan Takk
Lost One

Selective Syncing

Post by Roan Takk »

I believe I've read that the plan is to eventually take RPMod public, allowing other clans and servers to use it. This would hopefully cause a bit of a shift in the JKA community, and create various instances of multi-server syncing.

With this understanding, I think it would be beneficial to have the option within a server to not sync certain parts of a player's account and instead use the alternate account list that is present on the server. For instance, if I have admin on our server but travel to another clan's server that syncs with ours, it would be beneficial for them to prevent me from having admin but still retaining the majority of my account.

Other useful items to block would be weapons, items, ammo; really all items that may be permitted or not permitted across servers.

I am unsure what amount of effort this would require, but I do think it is something that would be useful when considering the fact that RPMod may one day go public, as such a system of selective blocking would make the mod much more multi-clan/server friendly.

Caleb Quintilian
Lost One

Post by Caleb Quintilian »

It looks to me like you're proposing a persistent character across servers. Which would entail something along the lines of;

1. An SQL database hosted by one of the communities that all the RPmod servers would have to/opt to subscribe in.
2. Client side storage of character files, which would open the opportunity for malicious or unfair tampering with their account to boost stats.

Or perhaps there's something I am overlooking.
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

Actually Andrew, the "persistent character" is already enabled. I believe that he is suggesting having a way to not sync the databases. What he's suggesting is selective syncing, to restrict certain parts of an account.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

Don't worry, this has been planned for 0.5.0 since the beginning, in that characters will be bound to clans, and clans to servers. :)