Species: Bonuses and Penalties

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Ametha Tasia
Lost One

Post by Ametha Tasia »

Isn't that already established through roleplay? :P
|age_48|height_1.72m|weight_64kg |race_mirialan|mentor_aknaross.myotis| padawans_serris.k'ral/oberon.pentari/voth.ahkrin|
Garik Kelzim

Post by Garik Kelzim »

Roleplay is cool but when your fighting you wont be typing all you do, you fight and that's all and in the end a wookiee could actually loose against a kushiban.
Name: Garik Kelzim| Species: Miraluka| Initiated: 276.24| Masters: Tomoran Serevarno
"Five naps a day keep A-48 away!"
Fane Ornn'ila
Lost One

Post by Fane Ornn'ila »

But if both would be strict in their roleplay, the kushiban wouldn't win that fight. It's really a tug back and forth.

The result is the same, just diffrent ways of getting there.

On one side, if everyone would be really strict and serious about their roleplay, your common sense should be enough to stop a youngling from beating a Master. It's only the game that makes this possible.

On the other side, if your char would get actual bonusses or limits from their spieces though predetermined 'stats' then there shouldn't be need for that, in theory. It will still remain JKA where the kiddo can win from a Knight. (Unless you really take it a step further and start actually using ages or ranks to determine who you can actually damage, which would in turn bring its own set of problems)

The species system could help towards it, but in the end that part at least still depends on the roleplay.

Fane Ornn'ila - Jedi Knight
¦ Mentor: Kaelen Sekura ¦

Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

From what you exampled in the initial post, Bryan, I'm inclined to be against the idea of a species system.

With game mechanics of that magnitude, players will be more apt to select a species based on what "bonuses" they can get out of it, rather than what interests them and what could be fun to role play.

In actuality, most species wouldn't have any bonuses. Why would a Miraluka get sense 1, when their ability to see via the Force is essentially eyesight as it is? I believe we had a conversation about the ambiguity of the notion of Miraluka sight a long while back, if you remember.

As for the wookiee being slower but more powerful, I think its an over-exaggeration of their traits, and I would disagree with that implementation.

I do agree that the current system is a little wonky, but I think both the class system and the species system is too "This is blue, this is green, this is red, this is yellow".
We need to come up with an idea that would be easy to implement, manage and customize, so there can be a variety of degrees and a uniqueness for players to apply to their characters.
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

Alkur Tekeil wrote:With game mechanics of that magnitude, players will be more apt to select a species based on what "bonuses" they can get out of it, rather than what interests them and what could be fun to role play.
Isn't this what happens anyway? I know of a multitude of players that have chosen their class based on what their player-based skills are. I mean this in a balancing way; For example, excellent lightsaber users who choose Sentinel or Consular for the Force pool boost, because they know they don't need the extra HP due to their skill.

Given that it seems a problem is not being created, only not being solved - and this idea presents other benefits on top of the ones listed - I support it fully. I'm not sure if I agree with exactly how it's been spelled out, but I definitely believe that a species-based system will be superior to a KOTOR-class based system.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Jamus Kevari
Lost One

Post by Jamus Kevari »

I'll stick with noting my complacency and satisfaction with the current system.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Corinth Alkorda wrote: I'm not sure if I agree with exactly how it's been spelled out, but I definitely believe that a species-based system will be superior to a KOTOR-class based system.
Yeah, like I said - it's silly examples I was giving of how it *could* work, what exactly the system would include is all down to who wants to work on it but the idea has different points in it I think might give people something to look through.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Ruluk
Lost One

Post by Ruluk »

Okay, my thoughts on this.

First, for some reason, I was *sure* that you had already planned implementing a species system. Matter-of-fact, I thought that it was being processed already.

Second, what I can think of, rather than making a full list of species, which would be a tad annoying, both to create and to choose from, we could instead create species classes. Species that share stuff in common would create the different classes.

Also, that way, we can make it more customizable outside of JEDI, once it is publicly released.

Jedi Padawan | Birth 275.08 | Initiation 280.31 | Master Fane Ornn'ila

Let's celebrate cause I've been with you guys for a RL year already! :D (not necessarily active all the time, but still!)
Ergo Stomi
Lost One

Post by Ergo Stomi »

The only problem with a species system is that individuals are different. Kel Dors are usually of a weaker constitution than most species( IE humans,) but Ergo himself, due to his training, is quite a bit stronger than most of the JEDI population.
If something *similar* to a species system could be developed, but not based around species themselves, I think it would be far more beneficial and realistic.

"...a burning brand to your enemies, a brilliant fire to your friends."
| age _ 52| height _ 1.89 meters | weight _ 95.1 kilograms | race _ kel.dor | mentor _ rash.loist | padawans _ larkit / johauna.darkrider / daereon.daimon |
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

Ergo Stomi wrote:The only problem with a species system is that individuals are different. Kel Dors are usually of a weaker constitution than most species( IE humans,) but Ergo himself, due to his training, is quite a bit stronger than most of the JEDI population.
If something *similar* to a species system could be developed, but not based around species themselves, I think it would be far more beneficial and realistic.
This would be solved by allowing XP to be applied to HP and FP.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

Corinth Alkorda wrote:
Ergo Stomi wrote:The only problem with a species system is that individuals are different. Kel Dors are usually of a weaker constitution than most species( IE humans,) but Ergo himself, due to his training, is quite a bit stronger than most of the JEDI population.
This would be solved by allowing XP to be applied to HP and FP.
Once again I agree.

But I still consider a proper implementation of a species system to be too complex and have too many holes in it, based on any proposal of a species system I've heard so far. Especially since there's really no way to balance species to make the choice as RP as possible, and instead there will simply end up being unsolvable discrepancies, at least with the features RPmod currently contains.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

I agree it might be difficult or have a lot of things people will bring up or not be happy about. However, I think if done correctly with a perfect balance in most areas - people might take their species selection more seriously and make a decision more thought out, hopefully creating some variety in species picked.

I just think, if worked out, it could be quite interesting to have.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol