Force Failure

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Re: Force Failure

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Amoné Fayden wrote:
Ametha Tasia wrote:Failure is natural and should be accounted for.
Of course and I agree fully! But it should be organic and should always be situational and based on so many variables. What are they doing? Are the tired already? Are they just warmed up and fully focused? Are they in the dark? Are they in a brightly lit room? What species are they? Does this person have an aptitude for a certain skill? etc, etc.

This should all be "calculated" by the player and expressed in RP. It shouldn't be accounted for by means of a dice roll game mechanic that doesn't care for the situation at hand.

That's my angle. :)
qft. There's too many specifics (ie what the character is good and bad at) to let a system randomize failure. Unless you can go through and make it personal for every single character. Seeing that would take up way too much time to to do and for everyone to agree on, let it be up to the player and the others involved with the situation directly.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Tomoran
Exiled

Re: Force Failure

Post by Tomoran »

I maintain the position that this is already inherent in play. And when a person miffs a force push by using it when an opponent is too close or at the wrong time, if they jump and miss an easy landing, use speed for no particular reason when they feel pressured, flail in swings at close range because they can't keep track of their target, kata when their opponent is ten feet away and not moving at all or other common mistakes in fights then I think that's a function of error that needs to be considered part of the players ability which becomes inevitably a part of that character's relative skill.

For instance, nobody would think I was an alright jumper if I couldn't back it up with the ability to jump anywhere and everywhere as my heart saw fit. And no amount of ::Jumps perfectly from one point to the next:: should change your mind. And so when I see members flourishing sabers and using intricate poses and losing simple spars with no reasonable comprehension of things like spacing or timing then I can't help but feel that it is both a matter of the player's skill and through that a reflection of the character's roleplay.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.