Chat-system for site

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Joran Fordo

Chat-system for site

Post by Joran Fordo »

Hello!

I think I'm not alone with the trouble that I have a relatively slow machine, and I cannot contact directly with the ones I want to, only via PM.
Because of my limited hardware, MSN loads reeeeaaaalllllyyyy slooooowwww.

I suggest creating a chat window, for quick and short messages on this site. There would be some sort of a little tab somewhere on the border of the screen, and the online users would be shown there.
I saw this mod once working on a similar forum engine and it worked fine. It wouldn't occupy much space on the screen (it's a sort of one-click-to-open-and-close system with movable window of the coversation).

(I apologise, if this has been mentioned already, or if this topic shouldn't be here)
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Re: Chat-system for site

Post by Illrian Damaris »

There are other means of contacting people, such as through Yahoo, Xfire, Email...MSN isn't the only way, it just happens to be the more popular way. However, I noticed Yahoo sometimes loads quicker (if you have an older version) and you can have MSN contacts on it, at least you used to..

So I would personally recommend trying that. I personally don't agree with the chat system being on the forums, because we have a means of PM's, and PM's will load better than a chat system...plus sometimes, chat systems can begin to bog down the entire forum for everyone, even those that don't use the chat.. so that's my personal reasoning for not wanting it.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

I believe this has indeed been discussed before, with the majority of people against it. Whether or not public opinion has changed since then is anyone's guess.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

With countless different types of communication including PM's, I don't really see how this is needed.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Nira'kalen'nuruodo
Lost One

Post by Nira'kalen'nuruodo »

If the official Windows Live Messenger client is slow on your machine, there are alternatives available, including Pidgin and Trillian, which may run a bit faster.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
|age_53|height_1.7m|weight_85kg|species_chiss|mentor_cyril.feraan|padawan_eugen.darkrider_nastajja.arren|

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Delmi wrote:With countless different types of communication including PM's, I don't really see how this is needed.
Pretty much how I feel on the matter.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Dray

Post by Dray »

Well, if you want nearly everyone in JEDI to know something fast, try MSN or some other sister programs for it. It will take time to get everyone on your friend list so they see your posts. MSN and some of it's sister programs have a sort of Facebook-like wall where you can post your thoughts for nearly everyone in JEDI and not have to worry about spamming the forums and annoying anybody. At the same time, keep it fair or people will probably remove you as a friend and there will go your chances to talk to the circle when you want, as fast as you want.

Sure, you can post a topic, but it may annoy a fair number of people to see many posts in the OOC section that are related to opinion or already-discussed topics.

Seeing as there are spamming rules and such and there are people on the council working to moderate EVERYTHING to keep it all clean and safe for all audiences, that leaves MSN and it's sisters as the only options. That is, unless I missed something.

Find the right MSN sister program. Get everyone on your friend's list.

If I missed anything please let me know, I'd hate to be ignorant of anything.
Jade Deferri
Lost One

Post by Jade Deferri »

No chat system ON the site. That's killed so many other JKA communities that I was unfortunately a part of.

Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

If you can't run the Windows Live Messenger client, I would still advise on a hotmail address. You can sign into http://www.hotmail.com and use the messenger in the website.

For an example see:

-
JKHub | JEDI Videos | Files

i¯i▀▀▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך