Blade deactivation/swing canceling?

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Jerex Sol
Lost One

Blade deactivation/swing canceling?

Post by Jerex Sol »

What do I mean by blade deactivation/swing canceling? I'm glad you asked because I was about to tell you what I meant anyway. Right now, the only way (that I know of) that we are able to stop a swing that we have already started is to bind a key to /rpdrop weapon. This instantly drops our saber, deactivating the blade. I want to know if it is possible to give us more options in doing this.

As much as I don't want to use examples of other mods for JKA.. OJP has a very unique way of doing this, you essentially have to hold down your attack key to do 'any' swing at all, this includes combos. If you let go of your attack key during the 'start' of your swinging animation, you immediately stop the attacking animation and your saber goes back to a ready position (creating a way to 'feint' a swing). While MB2 has the game simply deactivate your blade at any point during your attacking animation if you use the 'heal' force power.

Stating again, what I am wanting to know here is if it is possible to get more realistic options past than the rpdrop weapon command?
Species: Arkanian| Born: 302.23| Languages: Arkanian, Basic| Initiated: 316.17| Noviced: 320.25 | Knighted: 340.20 | Mastered: 372.03
Amalia Feyn
Lost One

Re: Blade deactivation/swing canceling?

Post by Amalia Feyn »

I'm just curious as to what the purpose of this is? I ask out of genuine ignorance cause I'm not much of a dueler.
Tergos Zemnos
Lost One

Post by Tergos Zemnos »

It would work well for making your opponent think you're going to swing and being like ''lolnope''. It's a great scare tactic as well.

In essence, Trakata.
Species: Human|Age: 50's| Initiated: 286.16|
Knighted: 310.28|Mentor: Sasha Raven_Delmi N'jork|Padawan: Arukh Bakh'tor_Xel Damar
Tra'ven
Lost One

Post by Tra'ven »

It would work well with simply just disengaging an attack if necessary.
Nico Keztor
Lost One

Post by Nico Keztor »

Agreed.
It's a nice idea.

Amalia Feyn
Lost One

Post by Amalia Feyn »

Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Lets hope it can be implemented with ease.
Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

I liked this feature in OJP.

In OJP I believe tapping say Top-right to bottom left would feint that angle and you can instantly follow through with a strike at a different angle without pause, the issue in OJP was if you feint and the opponent strikes at you rather than backing down, the block system didn't kick in and you'd be slaughtered, this would have been deadly against someone using Djem So or Makashi which were two of the most overpowered forms in the mod.

This would be a nice thing to see in RPmod, OOC this can also be extremely helpful if you accidentally trigger the mouse to attack it will feint because you tapped it by mistake instead of striking the person by accident.

ICLY it can be useful for RP if you make the person flinch, it can be aggressive but also work for defense as it gives you a window to move away if they flinch.
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Jerex Sol
Lost One

Post by Jerex Sol »

Personally, I would be mostly using it for the swing cancellation purposes. As I explained briefly in the first post, OJP's system created a fantastic way to feint a swing. MB2's system did the same thing essentially as you could immediately start a new swing after you pressed your Force Heal key. In 'duelists' terms, this creates a different timing than what they responded to first, and you can use that to your advantage in a fight as you have just gotten them to swing at you opening them up to an easy counter. As Tergos also mentioned, this suggestion gives actual meaning to the 'Trakata' form as before all that could be physically done mechanics wise is walking around with your saber deactivated when they aren't close enough to punish you for it. If this could be implemented, you could actually use Trakata correctly, and even employ it's technical moves.. Instead of ranting about that, I'll just link this and move on; Clicky.

This can also be used to cancel a swing. For example, whenever I spar with a team mate and I accidently swing too close to them, I can't just 'cancel' the swing. I have to spin my camera away from them to avoid hitting them. With this, (depending on how Soh implements it, if he can) I can just cancel the swing out-right.

It has more uses than just those though, some of them already mentioned in the other comments.
Species: Arkanian| Born: 302.23| Languages: Arkanian, Basic| Initiated: 316.17| Noviced: 320.25 | Knighted: 340.20 | Mastered: 372.03
Simus Cnydaria
Lost One

Post by Simus Cnydaria »

How many times has someone on a laptop accidentally taken a swing at someone because they grazed the mouse pad too lightly (besides me doing it like all the time)? This would be helpful.
Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Simus Cnydaria wrote:How many times has someone on a laptop accidentally taken a swing at someone because they grazed the mouse pad too lightly (besides me doing it like all the time)? This would be helpful.
I see people doing this all the time, so the feint would certainly help haha, I'm glad I use a mouse over a trackpad, things are a nightmare with a simple tap you could kill someone heh. That's why I don't use laptops :P
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Kenta
Lost One

Post by Kenta »

But muh cartwheels of doom would be rendered impossible! :(
RP Age: 126 Next Birthday: 371.1
Stupid is a disease spreading at an alarming rate. - Kenta
Aidan Skyward
Lost One

Post by Aidan Skyward »

Speaking of OJP, have we approached them about permission to integrate their saber system? Or was there a consensus that we didn't want to use it?
Birthday: 315.10|Species: Echani|Homeworld: N/A
Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Aidan Skyward wrote:Speaking of OJP, have we approached them about permission to integrate their saber system? Or was there a consensus that we didn't want to use it?
This has been a topic brought up on a number of occasions, the combat system is buggy/broken/unbalanced in a number of ways, so it was always voted as a no.

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Aidan Skyward
Lost One

Post by Aidan Skyward »

K, just wanted to be sure it wasn't just something that we just hadn't really gotten around to.

Although, the source code is all online, and I wouldn't mind using it as a project to practice my C++ skills.
Birthday: 315.10|Species: Echani|Homeworld: N/A
Saburine Eldahna
Lost One

Post by Saburine Eldahna »

I would support this, if it was possible implementing only parts :D we deemed utilizable.
Last edited by Saburine Eldahna on Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lying is an attempt to connect our wishes&our fantasies about who we wish we were with what we're really like."

"There's zero correlation between being the best talker in the room&having the best ideas."

U won't find my experiences&life stories on the holonet.
"Biases are the stories we make up about people before we know who they actually are."