Force Power Updates (Speed, Drain, Rage, Hold)

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Silas Vir'n
Lost One

Force Power Updates (Speed, Drain, Rage, Hold)

Post by Silas Vir'n »

To cut to the chase, I'm thinking perhaps a little update on the existing Force powers is in order? Considering that the powers haven't been updated in 6 years, I'd say this is long since overdue. Collaboration and contributions from everyone will eventually get a final outcome we're happy with. Here's my proposed [additions/updates] going off the current >Force power system<.

Speed (based off >this thread<)
  • 1. 50FP | 3 seconds duration | 20% speed boost.
    2. 50FP | 6 seconds duration | 40% speed boost.
    3. 40FP | 15 seconds duration | 60% speed boost.
    4. 30FP | 25 seconds duration | 80% speed boost.
    5. 20FP | 30 seconds duration | 100% speed boost.

Slow ('projected tutaminis')
  • 1. BaseJKA.
    2. BaseJKA.
    3. BaseJKA.
    4. FP heals player | Slows down opponent.
    5. FP heals player | Slows down opponent + after 5 seconds renders them to the ground (knockdown emote).

Rage
  • 1. BaseJKA.
    2. BaseJKA.
    3. BaseJKA.
    4. Doesn't drain health + No anim.
    5. Doesn't drain health + No anim + No slow effect after.

Hold
  • 1. Same.
    2. Same.
    3. Same.
    4. Control over the direction | No damage | Costs less/drains less FP | Player can walk + move freely without the lag/inhibited walking.
    5. Control over the direction | Chokes target (10HP damage per second + 40HP 'head crack' after 3 seconds | Costs less/drains less FP | Player can walk + move freely without the lag/inhibited walking.

It was covered in the 'Force Speed' thread, but I'd like to repeat the point that: Level 5 powers should be seen as 'mastering' said ability, and aren't something that every single person should have for every single power. Take this in mind before commenting on some of the proposed updated being 'OP'. If someone reaches level 5 they should have dedicated the majority of their training into reaching it.

Thoughts?

name_silas.vir'n|age_47|height_1.93m|rank_knight

Isane Fenris
Lost One

Re: Force Power Updates (Speed, Drain, Rage, Hold)

Post by Isane Fenris »

Can you please supply us with what current "characteristics" the JKA powers have? So we know how to compare the 100% speed boost you suggested to the current boost, for example. It'd help assess how much of an update the suggestion is.

I'm not in agreement with Hold 4 not including grip. I think if you've invested the 90 XP required to get there (and I'm assuming that'd be naturally supported by a great deal of RP), the grip option should have opened up by then.

And I like to think that everything beyond level 3 would be a char 'specializing' in an ability. So 4+ should be strong, but not too strong to the point that the game becomes imbalanced. Even if you're a Master with level 25, you'll still want to have some challenge, I imagine.

Image|age_52|height_1.65|species_dathomirian|mentor_motoko.isawa/aslyn.denethorn/simus.cnydaria|padawan_trin.oniron/vania.starr|

Nico Keztor
Lost One

Post by Nico Keztor »

I totally support updates about Speed/Drain/Rage, but.. actually I don't think Hold needs to be changed.
Grip 1-2 (Hold 4-5) is fair enough.
Difference is just about a +20 damage and duration.
So, it gives you the chance to use a weaker grip (Hold 4) or a stronger (Hold 5).

Isane Fenris
Lost One

Post by Isane Fenris »

Noticed the links sorta answer my questions, lol. Nevermind :p All for the stuff, aside from the hold one.

Image|age_52|height_1.65|species_dathomirian|mentor_motoko.isawa/aslyn.denethorn/simus.cnydaria|padawan_trin.oniron/vania.starr|

Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

I support the Hold idea, realistically no Jedi would choke another sentient, combat or no as it would be highly worrying so throwing the choke to the 5th level of the ability would be more ideal and the reduced cost on 4 alone would make it more ideal over 3 for control, when it comes to practiced Knights/Masters who have that fine control to sustain the hold for longer on the person/object than say a Padawan with Hold 3.

As for speed, the gradually decreasing cost coupled with the Force pool you get the higher tier your character is also makes sense, we improve through time and practice and it does indeed make sense that by the time they are at the 5th tier they can pull off extended bursts with little effort.

On to slow, I'm so-so on this, the power is supposed to heal you even on base but the knockout after only five seconds? It could work and I don't use that word lightly, after all you're draining away the force energy of the target thus it could also potentially exhaust them but also and if possible, increase the recovery time for the target to regain the stolen energy so regen rate is temporarily increased to say 500 ms the same as a Level 1 account, this is taking into account the fact I don't really think ANY responsible Knight or Master would unleash such a power on a student who had no hope of defending themselves because they lack the ability to even resist such a power.
From what I've read, and while this is on MAJOR scales like Nametha and Katarr tearing the force from something on a planetary scale can make a Jedi, even an experienced master feel giddy and ill, the force guides us, so taking it for personal gain I don't think is a good idea but then again, you can call me old fashioned :P.
It might also be spawned from my intense dislike of the ability full stop hehe.

Rage, I see where this is coming from, higher levels you're drawing on the force in order to augment yourself so why would it hurt you physically, it might leave you out of breath afterward thus you've slowed down which is realistic, a name like Valor of rage with higher tiers being less taxing on you.
Force Valor was a light side Force power that increased the resolve, accuracy, and speed of one's self and one's allies. Tapping into the Force, a Jedi could increase the rate at which one's capacities functioned, allowing the body to move more quickly, strike more powerfully, and fight with improved accuracy
Feel free to now comment as my idea/response might seem silly/stupid.
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Jerex Sol
Lost One

Post by Jerex Sol »

http://puu.sh/cD4nB/02e423c27e.png

Do you think you could clarify what you mean exactly by "FP Heals you?" As far as I understand the power, you are using your FP to drain anothers FP to heal yourself.
Species: Arkanian| Born: 302.23| Languages: Arkanian, Basic| Initiated: 316.17| Noviced: 320.25 | Knighted: 340.20 | Mastered: 372.03
Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Jerex Sol wrote:http://puu.sh/cD4nB/02e423c27e.png

Do you think you could clarify what you mean exactly by "FP Heals you?" As far as I understand the power, you are using your FP to drain anothers FP to heal yourself.
This was the base version of the powers effect too, being a Dark force ability the user uses the force to sap the force from another and heal themselves which made it double as force heal for those that favored the dark powers. It can be devastating if the opponent relies on the force.

Level 1 is a short burst that quickly saps you completely of your own power and heals you a small amount from the power taken from the target but it required precise aim and timing to be effective as it was single target only.

2 was a longer burst, similar effect but less costly to make up for the extended limit but still required aim.

3 was an A.O.E and can hit several people at once, draining them rapidly and healing you by a large amount, this had a slightly shorter limit due to how taxing it is on you too thus is made up for it by sapping them by large amounts too.

I guess an Eye for an eye or something similar?

Always seemed OP to me.

The only way to actually block it is with absorb on any level before it's used on you, they gain nothing, waste energy and while it won't restore your own power like the other abilities used on absorb, you're still better off.

But I hope it answers your question, Jerex.
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Jerex Sol
Lost One

Post by Jerex Sol »

No, it doesn't, as I was more interested in what Silas meant by FP heals player. I already know what the base versions of Drain do and the variances of each level. If it was the same thing as what the base power does, or if he means something different.
Last edited by Jerex Sol on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Species: Arkanian| Born: 302.23| Languages: Arkanian, Basic| Initiated: 316.17| Noviced: 320.25 | Knighted: 340.20 | Mastered: 372.03
Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Jerex Sol wrote:No, it doesn't, as I was more interested in what Silas meant by FP heals player. I already know what the base versions of Drain does and the variances of each level. If it was the same thing as what the base power does, or if he means something different.
Ah, apologies then for misunderstanding.

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Dev Kai
Lost One

Post by Dev Kai »

I do like hold the way it currently is. I will say that I think it's possible to improve on those others mentioned.
Silas Vir'n
Lost One

Post by Silas Vir'n »

Jerex Sol wrote:No, it doesn't, as I was more interested in what Silas meant by FP heals player. I already know what the base versions of Drain do and the variances of each level. If it was the same thing as what the base power does, or if he means something different.
I mean the same thing.

Jerex Sol
Lost One

Post by Jerex Sol »

Silas Vir'n wrote:
Jerex Sol wrote:No, it doesn't, as I was more interested in what Silas meant by FP heals player. I already know what the base versions of Drain do and the variances of each level. If it was the same thing as what the base power does, or if he means something different.
I mean the same thing.
Cool.

So do you mean an increase in the healing/draining rates or?
Silas Vir'n
Lost One

Post by Silas Vir'n »

Just the same as 3.