Giving characters/accounts unique abilities.

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Tweek Etimau
Lost One

Giving characters/accounts unique abilities.

Post by Tweek Etimau »

Giving characters/accounts unique abilities. I was thinking that there are some in game mechanics that if removed or added, to an individual account could add uniqueness to some ones character. I'll give some examples.

Some species are able to breath underwater. It would be cool to remove the fact that after x amount of time you start taking damage, or even make it longer before they do. Others are able to climb surfaces, grasp them, or even sustain a hold (like Rodians and their suction cups). You would obviously have to apply the appropriate ability to that account. For physically stronger species you could simply make their melee stronger. Not only damaged given but also things like a kick could throw a person further away.

I'm of course saying this not having any idea how any of it works. But thought I'd post it any way.
Average times online. Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday from 21:00-02:00. Sunday and Monday all day. GST
Zander-Bo Umra
Lost One

Re: Giving characters/accounts unique abilities.

Post by Zander-Bo Umra »

Think something similar has been proposed and proposed again, Tweek. While I don't think it's impossible, it'd all be down to Soh to implement it. I just doubt that balance in the overall gameplay can be preserved with it.

EDIT:
First topic I found with something similar:
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6877

And here's the one I originally remember:
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6442

And finally
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6096
| Species: Human | Homeworld: Coruscant | Born: 318.16 | Initiated: 324.27 | Apprenticed: 326.13, 329.08 | Knighted: 338.17 | Mentors: K. Orion, A. Silaan

"The Code is not a script, it's a guide." - Zander-Bo Umra, 329.30 ABY

"May my body guide my blade, my mind harness its core, the Force guide my feet." - Zander-Bo Umra, 331.29

Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

While this is an interesting idea, in the end I believe that NOT implementing unique traits and abilities based on species, character, etc, would promote immersive and detailed roleplay, RPmod isn't what makes JEDI or it's roleplay, we are and how we choose to dedicate ourselves to using as much detail as we can when it comes to performing certain actions and it's that level of detail that can make us stand out from other communities.

JEDI has always been focused on roleplay over everything else and as someone who enjoys the chances of spending time to detail out things like meditation and development when I doing something that isn't an everyday experience, I can't help but feel that adding more to the mod may end up taking the focus on some things from the roleplay to the simple press of a button.

I'm sure a number of Knights and Masters would agree that if I wanted to learn a new ability that wasn't supported by the mod the best way would be to do it entirely through the use of roleplay in the form of /me, going into detail over how my character focuses his mind, controls the force and ultimately how he performs the ability, even if it results in complete failure to do it the fact I'd have stopped to go into detail makes it realistic and shows dedication.
If I can simply press a button and *bam* force power is used it just seems rather dull, that's why we are encouraged to use our words whenever learning a new way to use the force.

Drowning can be an issue for amphibian species like Vurk and Nautalon I get that with /rpprotect not solving the issue (I know only because I asked if it would during some swimming RP session once) which might be an interesting thing to change if possible, though this is the only thing I would suggest changing if possible, that or maybe making a /rpdive or /rprebreather command that would enable the person to swim underwater without being harmed by drowning and also stop the repetitive drowning sounds too.

I apologize this isn't me dropping a permacrete brick on your head for making a 'stupid' suggestion, this is a very good suggestion but I just feel that encouraging people to /me, using that high level of detail than they normally would with simple actions be more agreeable in a number of people in the community.
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Arven Silaan
Lost One

Post by Arven Silaan »

Disclaimer: Not re-read the post zander linked.

I'm fairly sure Soh mentioned he might be implementing to the underwater one either server side or client side, I'm not sure though, I'm not a cop.