Sharing something you might enjoy

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Oobah

Sharing something you might enjoy

Post by Oobah »

If you don't know who I am can check out the jkhub. Anyway I'm sharing a map that I've been busy working on and I'm not entirely sure if any of you have tried it out. I wager you might enjoy it for your purposes and I always enjoy feedback and more importantly if there is any map related bugs. Putting up a map link for everyone to download, this recent version which I do believe has more or less the rest of the bugs as well as all the little additions it needs to be all set and complete. But if more bugs get found it's just a matter of fixing and recompiling again.

The map itself is Massassi Temple or to be more precise mp/ffa_mtd or you can use the night time version mp/ffa_mtn

I'm not entirely sure if this is even posted in the right forum section either. But I find the quality of the map work I did and the level overall to be very high quality and great for really anyone. If you need a walkthrough of the map let me know I can show you around or when the jkhub updates the download link you can see all the level screenshots and a basic blueprint of the map floors and what each floor includes.
Under the basement is a functional yavin_trial right out of JO and the yavin_final dueling area.

1st Floor contains the following:
~Galaxy Map Room
~Dueling Room
~Bot Room
~Force Room
~Archives
~Catwalk for masters or spectators to view all rooms in a safe position away from harm

2nd Floor contains the following:
~Dorms
~Bathroom
~Mess Hall
~Tech Room
~Medical

3rd Floor contains the following:
~Ceremony Hall

4th Floor contains the following:
~Command Center
~Switch to open the door to the trial area, Trial Entrance
~Music Switches

5th Floor contains the following:
~Roof Access
One look outside into the skybox and you'll simply have another reason for absolutely loving the map I'm sure along with the 3 music switches that are all yavin based as well. :)

http://jkhub.org/files/file/2107-massassi-temple/
Last edited by Oobah on Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arven Silaan
Lost One

Re: Sharing something you might enjoy

Post by Arven Silaan »

While I really liked the map, my biggest gripe was that there was no outside that could be explored. I don't know if it could be done with the size of the map, but that would completely sell me on it.

I really liked the inside though!

(P.S if its in this next version I've not yet had a look)

Oobah

Post by Oobah »

This is V4 and it has a functioning academy shuttle you can walk inside of, night time version, and lot of little bug fixes and so forth.

The map is currently at 4080 or something of map entities. It's not possible to add much more since the entity limit for JA is 4096 and gtk radiant will simply refuse to compile a bsp when it hits the cap. The outside area is actually a _skybox. It functions a lot like a misc_skyportal only the difference is the _skybox only renders what it is inside. The _skybox is just a mini box that just renders it as a sky backdrop so you can have cities, etc and it wont impact fps terribly. So all that stuff you see out there is quite honestly only there for looks.

Plus I tried it before and it just rendered the _skybox in certain map portions not to mention the fact if an entire outside was mapped that means inside areas connected to the outside would share 1 area and that could possibly cause massive fps drops due to the fact the entire map itself is pretty big size wise. :?

I also recently put some cricket noises on the night time version on the lower levels as well.

Glad you enjoyed it also!
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

It looks like a nice map, but as Arven said, some things could be done to improve it even more. Good work none the less, but than I could ever do.

Though, sorry for being 'that guy', but permission was gained from Sai for usage of the stuff from alzoc, yes?

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Oobah

Post by Oobah »

As stated the maps more or less bordering on the game engines entity limitations so an outside area isn't going to work and even if it was added it would present more problems then proper level functionality. Lots of areas connected to 1 large area would cause fps drops and things clipping into the map due to it's size and distance of some things. And the ceremony hall up is not dead center with the base so it would also look lopsided. Hangar area for example more or less is at the border point of a room length size before you can start hitting fps drops on a level.

But if anyone has any ideas on the inside area feel free to say what they are! :)

As for the content I simply credited the maps the files were originally from. Some level textures really aren't a terribly big deal and recreating the content would merely take 5 extra minutes worth of work which as for alzoce can be summarized in the following bits. I never took credit for other peoples work, I just reused the content is all I don't mind saying which ones they are and if it's a really big deal for some people I can always replace it with different textures. :)

~Movie video in the mess hall
~Tech room posters over the work tables

Other 95% of the content is right from base JA/JK2. Other few maps took maybe a texture or two from them. I put them in the level credits as well on the hub. As for the signs into the rooms those are googled images.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Well, I'll let Sai have his own say on that but as long as his map is linked and his name credited then fair play to you sir.

Keep up the good work though, I like what I see.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Oobah

Post by Oobah »

Any bugs found and I do another map update I'll put his name in for the credits on the hub. But anyone has any input inside or what not they wanna contribute or add feel free. Not a whole lot of people been aiding in that category and not getting as much feedback. I have heard maybe 1 or 2 other people say to add an outside area of some kinda also. Last time I attempted it the duel6 area mapped outside clipped into_skybox models/geometry. Still some screenshots of it on the jkhub forums of that. :lol:

Map is more so at it's limits with the game engine itself. I have considered adding another map which would be yavin_temple from JO setup and for that maps _skybox you'd see a larger temple in the distance from that one and in that little mini temple it would have an outside area to more or less make up for the bigger one not really being able to have one. Just an idea been considering for this already big pk3.