Where did it start?

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Where did it start?

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

Without a doubt I could go around and ask, discovering that every single one of us has seen all six movies, be it original Theatrical versions (For the older members of the community) or the video/dvd/blu-ray releases for the younger generation like myself for the original trilogy.
Some will have fond memories of seeing the battle of Hoth in the cinema or witnessing the revelation that Vader is Lukes father, Han shooting Greedo first and not the uncharacteristic Greedos pointless P.B.R.(Point Blank Range) shots that were added to the Special edition as an attempt at 'Justification' for Hans actions.
We all have opinions on the Prequels be it positive or Negative, that mutual hate for Jar Jar or becoming annoyed when Anakin becomes whiny and a big baby, the Climatic duels between Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi with Darth Maul or Jango vs Obi-Wan in AOTC where he wipes the floor with Jedi, or even that final fight between brothers on Mustafar that answered the questions as to why Vader wore the armor, why he was scarred, how Kenobi came into possession of his lightsaber before passing it to Luke.

With the Seventh installment on the way I'm not asking you your opinion on it, I'm asking where did your journey begin in this saga, what moments did you enjoy and what did you find embarrassing to watch?
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Virtuo Alegan
Lost One

Re: Where did it start?

Post by Virtuo Alegan »

The first Star Wars movie I saw was Empire Strikes Back, my mother had taped it on TV one day and we still had the tape. When I watched it I didn't really know what was going on (I was five :wink: ), my mother said "Han Solo gets frozen". But like I said, I didn't know what was going on, I can't remember if I had a reaction to the big reveal.

Eventually I watched it again and I started to enjoy it, but I really wanted to see what happened next so we went to Blockbuster and rented Return of the Jedi (1997 edition) and I was hooked (when I watched the original 1980 version of ROTJ I hated the ending).

About a year passes and Phantom Menace is released, we go to see it and I loved it, believe it or not I was actually able to follow along with its story better than Empire Strikes Back when compared to the first time I saw both of them. I didn't mind Jar Jar, I still don't do this day, I thought some of his scenes were pretty funny. A lot of people complain that Anakin was too whiny in the first one, to which I say "Hello!! A lot of nine year olds are whiney!"

Watched a New Hope, loved it, didn't enjoy the saber duel unfortunately.

Watched the rest of the prequels, loved all of them, cried at the ending of Episode III. Anakin is really only whiney in Episode II but not that much, I will admit his character is not well done in II which is why Episode II is my least favorite Star Wars movie.

My thoughts on the "Greedo shoots first" change? Greedo dies, the end. There are plenty other moments of Han being awesome.
Virtuo Alegan | Homeworld: Corellia | Species: Epicanthix | Age: 39 | Next Birthday: 343.10 | Rank: Masterless Padawan | Initiated: 314.09 | Noviced: 317.08| Mentors: Kiwron Tirladdik/Rash Loist/Delmi N'jork | Apprenticed: 317.13 | Pilot License: PL-1
Athan Marr
Lost One

Post by Athan Marr »

It started when I rented the original trilogy from my local library around 5-6 years ago after that I fell in love with star wars and started seeking more of it. This is one of my favorite fantasy/sci-fi anything ever! Haha
Species:Human | Age:Early-Thirties | Homeworld:Dantooine | Mentor:Nico Keztor

Motoko
Lost One

Post by Motoko »

Being an old fart....

I remember it started with Dad recording the first two on VHS he got from somewhere? HBO maybe? I remember wondering at the end of ESB, "Wait, what happens!?" because ROTJ hadn't been released yet.

At the tender age of three, I was in the theater bawling like a lunatic when the Rancor came on screen and scared the shit out of me. From there, my parents got me lots of figures and toys. My favorites had to be the Rancor (You could move his mouth!) and my small squad of stormtroopers. I still have an original Darth Vader (ROTJ) in the blister.

At some point, we had a LaserDisc player (google it), and one of the first three titles we got was the trilogy. I was amazed at the clear quality over these VHS tapes that had been worn from being played over and over and over again. Plus! I didn't have to rewind them! I could pause them and go frame by frame to dissect the visual effects. In fact, I can still see in a scene from the opening of the ROTJ space battle, two TIE fighters that weren't layered correctly and appear in front of the Falcon, even though they're tiny and should be behind it.

My mom, mostly to keep me occupied in the back of the '70 Impala during a road trip, got me Heir To The Empire on tape to listen to when it was first released in 90 or 91. There, I moved onto the Kevin J Anderson books (Which were good, when you're in middle/early high school!).

The obsession has stuck with me ever since. In the 90s, discovered RPGs, and still have the West End Games books from that era. 20(!) years later, still going strong. :)
Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

I believe it started a long time ago, in a galaxy far away...

:P

On a serious note, my father took me to see A New Hope in theaters and I never looked back. Star Wars continues to dominate my life some twenty years afterwards.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Arven Silaan
Lost One

Post by Arven Silaan »

Very awkwardly having watched ROTJ before watching ESB.

Very weird...

Galen Sol
Lost One

Post by Galen Sol »

My journey started sometime when I was about 5, or 6. I had the whole first trilogy on VHS and I would watch them over and over, just because I loved it so much, and I really didn't know much better. Eventually it wore out on me and I know I still have it somewhere, but hey, it was awesome while it lasted.

Also, I do know that Han shot first, I wasn't one of those "Greedo shot first" types. I don't have much problem with Greedo shooting first, I just thought it made Han Solo so much more badass just shooting some creep like that.
Creepo.
Jerex Sol
Lost One

Post by Jerex Sol »

Motoko wrote:Being an old fart.... At some point, we had a LaserDisc player.
:lmao: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I watched the original trilogy out of order, due to my young age at the time. ESB => ROTJ => ANH. Didn't really matter to me though, as I was at least old enough to follow the story despite it being a tad out of order. I at least watched the prequels in order. :dreamy:
Species: Arkanian| Born: 302.23| Languages: Arkanian, Basic| Initiated: 316.17| Noviced: 320.25 | Knighted: 340.20 | Mastered: 372.03
Vuul Garen

Post by Vuul Garen »

For me, it started around 12 or so years ago, when I first saw the movies on VHS. I was three then, and thought the movies where just amazing, and ever since I was a huge star wars junkie, owning tons of books, games, comics, all the movies with the original trilogy before the new versions on DVD, and all sorts of stuff. My favorite part of star wars was the EU, and it's something I adore to this day, maybe even more then the movies. I stopped liking star wars as much as I did because of Lucas sold the rights to Disney, and Disney in turn destroying the expanded universe. I've started liking star trek more. Don't get me wrong, I still love star wars, I just like it for what it was than what it is now. Then a few months ago, a friend of mine was messing' around on the forums, so I decided to check it out, and see what it was like, since I'm a fan of role playing games and D&D. Two months later, I haven't regretted that decision, and I hope ::JEDI:: lives for some more years, for it really got me into role playing more then I was.
Last edited by Vuul Garen on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Name: Talos Miles Species: Human Homeworld: Taris Born: 337.08
Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

My dad's a sci-fi fan, so it all started at a very young age watching A New Hope (back then called just "Star Wars") for me. I remember the scene where Luke looks out to the two moons as one of the the strongest emotional experiences in a story for me as a child. Then, being an avid gamer, Jedi Academy attracted me as a Star Wars game when it came out, and being an eastern student-teacher relationship fan, and seeing The Clone Wars a few years ago brought back the flame for the game and the stories.

Somewhere in-between I also thoroughly enjoyed KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic), and it too has made it to my "favourite games" shelf, and I used to partake in social role-playing (D&D) in high school.
Homeworld: Coruscant (Level 1243) | Species: Pantoran | Age: 15 | Born: 329.02 | Initiated: 342.06 | Apprenticed: 343.02 | Mentor: Jel'a Vra

Inventory: Skimboard, Comlink, Datapad (Custom Modified), Training Lightsaber