Offense 1

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Elensa Jari
Lost One

Offense 1

Post by Elensa Jari »

Just a thought here: could we swap Offense 1 and 2, so that Medium is the first style learned, rather than Fast? Here's my reasoning:
  • Shii-Cho is designed to teach placement and precision of strikes - in essence, to give the student some understanding of Points of Contact, the different types of strike, and also to teach them to handle a lightsaber without slicing parts off. Fast Stance = quick (and reckless) motion, absence of precision and close-ranged (ultimately more risky) strikes. Medium, however, focuses on medium-range, slower-paced strikes that are far more precise in placement, and this better suits initial training sequences.
  • Fast stance requires considerable understanding of footwork, motion and accuracy in movement - from an IC perspective, no Jedi would move so quickly in using a lightsaber unless they already had some skill with it. If you've ever used a real sword, you know that you certainly don't flurry around or use lots of spins and turns (even when you know what you're doing!), because this is both risky in terms of how the weapon handles, and also because it offers opponents unnecessary openings. Although Fast Stance has many useful abilities (the lunge, in particular), it always struck me as something that would be appropriate for someone who has has a lot of practice.
  • Honestly, Medium stance offers a lot more in terms of precision training: combinations and drills are far more extensive in Medium, both because you're limited to a maximum of 3-4 chained movements, and also because each is slow enough that they can be broken down and combined easily. With Fast stance, you have nanoseconds to decide on your next movement, and this is far harder both to teach with and learn from!
  • Students new to the lightsaber are encouraged to use two-handed strikes: the single-handed emphasis of Fast Style runs counter to this, suggestive of a fluidity and confidence in handling of a lightsaber that no new student is likely to experience.
Just a thought!
Last edited by Elensa Jari on Wed May 13, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Species: Hapan | Age: 9 | Initiated: 337.16 ABY | Mentor: Maia Rimora
Keth Flynn
Lost One

Re: Offense 1

Post by Keth Flynn »

That's the thing, like you said it's reckless, not precise, like an initiate starting his training, that's how it's supposed to be. Though, you learn to do better than that when offense 2 comes in, and you can show you have more experience. That's what I think.
Name:Keth Flynn|Birthdate:315.18 ABY|Mentor:Dev Kai|Knighted:346.29|

Elensa Jari
Lost One

Post by Elensa Jari »

That's more the point: how many people do you know that, presented with the deadliest weapon in existence, decides to throw it around like it's no problem, wielding it with uncontrollable speed, knowing how dangerous that would be to do? Anyone picking up a weapon for the first time knows to go slowly and carefully - and certainly no instructor would advocate doing otherwise!
Alehk Thol
Lost One

Post by Alehk Thol »

Randi

Post by Randi »

-
Last edited by Randi on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wen-Ordo
Lost One

Post by Wen-Ordo »

|Full name:Wen-Ordo | Age: 88 | Initiated: 327.21 ABY|Noviced: 329.03 ABY |
| Apprenticed: 329.04 ABY | Knighted: 340.20 ABY |Mentor: Amalia Feyn|
|Padawans: Voh Phaar, Krask Kabal,Dariun Antane, Aren Kelpor |
| Species: Vurk| Homeworld: Sembla/Tatooine|
Keth Flynn
Lost One

Post by Keth Flynn »

I can't agree, the medium stance also provides with more strength and could be applied to any of the Forms ICly. To be honest, I'm a bit afraid of the metagaming because of it. You can rest assured with the blue stance, while it's even more difficult to apply counters and easily broken by heavier swings. And it doesn't do that much damage.

Elensa Jari
Lost One

Post by Elensa Jari »

We could factor in an effective damage reduction while you're at Offense 1 - have it strike for the same damage as Fast style presently does (though it's nonsense that Fast Style has such low damage anyway!), upgrading to it's standard when the player purchases Offense 2. That would mitigate the issue.
Keth Flynn
Lost One

Post by Keth Flynn »

Then doing the same for the counters would be great, as well. Also, making the defense weaker. That is only logical to me.

Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

:clap: Kieran Orion likes this.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Karmarie Zar
Lost One

Post by Karmarie Zar »

Kieran Orion wrote::clap: Kieran Orion likes this.

Karmarie like this too :D

| Species: Human | Homeworld: Naboo | Initiated: 336.21 ABY | Apprenticed: 339.10 ABY | Mentor(S): Arven Silaan & Cael Dan'kor | Knighted: 354.24 |

Athan Marr
Lost One

Post by Athan Marr »

:party: I agree as well, I support this.
Species:Human | Age:Early-Thirties | Homeworld:Dantooine | Mentor:Nico Keztor

Cael Dan’kor
Lost One

Post by Cael Dan’kor »

• Offense 1 - Yellow stance
  • Offense 2 - Blue stance
  • Offense 3 - Red stance
  • Offense 4 - Tavion
  • Offense 5 - Desann
I also would like to add Tavion as Offense 4, because I feel both RP and OOC wise, Tavion is more applicable as Makashi than anything else. Desann first is blegh. I generally dislike that style, but it would be stupid to get rid of it overall, too.

:D
Karmarie Zar
Lost One

Post by Karmarie Zar »

But do you go with the damage reduction on it?

| Species: Human | Homeworld: Naboo | Initiated: 336.21 ABY | Apprenticed: 339.10 ABY | Mentor(S): Arven Silaan & Cael Dan'kor | Knighted: 354.24 |

Niko Inaru
Lost One

Post by Niko Inaru »

I like the idea of Yellow stance, but what if there was a way to actually change the speed of the styles you had... like yeah you start off with yellow, but you swing slower until you get a certain amount of xp or get saber defense 2. I would like a real time experience based system(Which I know might never work)... then again, people could always rely on skill as well. I don't know. In short...I'm okay with the blue stance being the first... but obviously for some people it wouldn't make sense for rp reasons. The scenario is this. Say a kid that was raised to fight and proficient in sword play took up a saber, they'd get used to it way faster than say, someone who hasn't fought or worked a day in their life, unless we made it an option where you could ask OOC that your character be allowed to use it for reasons IRP.

Name: Niko Inaru | Birthdate: 323.3 ABY | Age: 35 | Homeworld: Eshan | Initiated: 333.28 ABY | Noviced: 338.14 ABY