How to play Jedi Academy on Windows 10

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Nico Keztor
Lost One

How to play Jedi Academy on Windows 10

Post by Nico Keztor »

Greetings,
If any of you is going to download Windows 10, I suggest you to read this to make it work. Otherwise, it will crash.
1. Go to the GLDirect page on SourceForge. Download gldirect5_opensource.zip.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gldirect/

2. Extract the contents. Go to the gldirect5\bin\release folder.

3. Copy opengl32.dll to your GameData folder.

4. Play the game!!
Then you should be able to play :)

Zander-Bo Umra
Lost One

Re: How to play Jedi Academy on Windows 10

Post by Zander-Bo Umra »

::Has been playing on Windows 10 for several days without a hitch::

EDIT: Nuancing the statement: Try before you download. ;)
| Species: Human | Homeworld: Coruscant | Born: 318.16 | Initiated: 324.27 | Apprenticed: 326.13, 329.08 | Knighted: 338.17 | Mentors: K. Orion, A. Silaan

"The Code is not a script, it's a guide." - Zander-Bo Umra, 329.30 ABY

"May my body guide my blade, my mind harness its core, the Force guide my feet." - Zander-Bo Umra, 331.29

Nico Keztor
Lost One

Post by Nico Keztor »

Zander-Bo Umra wrote:::Has been playing on Windows 10 for several days without a hitch::

EDIT: Nuancing the statement: Try before you download. ;)
I tried: install it all over again, compatibility mode and everything.
Unless you had this file already, I don't know. Anyway, posted this so anyone can go over this issue.

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I haven't had any trouble either!
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Bo Iiln
Lost One

Post by Bo Iiln »

::Is still waiting to be able to DL it...::
Species: Kel Dor | Age: 40's | Initiated: 307 ABY |
Knighted: 325 ABY | Mentor: Raloran Mulloc | Padawan: Evanin Dawnstar_Xel Damar_Maia Rimora_Durindfire
Athan Marr
Lost One

Post by Athan Marr »

Some people won't have this issue cause it's already installed with their game, my JKA has this file already.
Species:Human | Age:Early-Thirties | Homeworld:Dantooine | Mentor:Nico Keztor

Nico Keztor
Lost One

Post by Nico Keztor »

Update: Seems like this issue occurs only when the update doesn't come from Windows Update. Be careful with mails either way, lots of mails seem to be only fake.

Dev Kai
Lost One

Post by Dev Kai »

My friend is trying to join the community but can't get past issues running it on ten he tried the suggested above but it just crashes the game every time.

Also, when he can get it working his mouse seems to have a mind of it's own. Any thoughts that can help?
Nico Keztor
Lost One

Post by Nico Keztor »

Dev Kai wrote: Also, when he can get it working his mouse seems to have a mind of it's own. Any thoughts that can help?
One of us had that issue, he had to downgrade to Windows 8.1/8/7.

Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

I think Windows 10 is still missing a lot of the proper hardware drivers needed for many PC graphics cards and mice/peripherals, hence why sometimes you need DirectGL, and to mess with different experimental drivers, etc. to get things working.

I honestly don't understand why so many people are so eager to switch to Windows 10. My heartfelt recommendation is to be patient and wait, and, if you really want to, only switch after the new OS has been out for at least 2 years if you want a stable gaming machine.

Current Windows 10 users will need to find workarounds. You need to find drivers and solutions to help the new Windows understand your hardware, and the solutions are quite unique to the make of your computer -- namely what hardware it has.

Windows 7 is still best for work and gaming, closely followed by 8.1. So if you're on either of these, for the love of gaming, don't switch.
Homeworld: Coruscant (Level 1243) | Species: Pantoran | Age: 15 | Born: 329.02 | Initiated: 342.06 | Apprenticed: 343.02 | Mentor: Jel'a Vra

Inventory: Skimboard, Comlink, Datapad (Custom Modified), Training Lightsaber
Dev Kai
Lost One

Post by Dev Kai »

Thank you all for your responses. We found little to no resources regarding the mouse stray problem we did however figure it out to the point where it brings little problems for game play and got the game working. I did a session with him last night and got him some training with things like cfg's and binds.

Thanks again!
-Dev
Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

Glad to hear you managed to get it working at least partially.

Regarding the mouse running away problem, sometimes giving the game a different screen resolution helps. I know I've encountered a problem like that with some older games earlier on Windows. Otherwise, try to tell Windows to use a different driver for the mouse, or use a more advanced third party mouse config utility that allows you to tweak mouse behaviour on the run. Does it only happen in JKA?
Homeworld: Coruscant (Level 1243) | Species: Pantoran | Age: 15 | Born: 329.02 | Initiated: 342.06 | Apprenticed: 343.02 | Mentor: Jel'a Vra

Nico Keztor
Lost One

Post by Nico Keztor »

If I'd be honest, I suggest all of you to not install Windows 10. If you did and now are having issues, restore to your previous version by Control Panel.

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I installed it when it first came out, I have had absolutely zero problems with compatibility or anything for that matter. JKA ran first time at boot up and I still haven't had any issues with it.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

Delmi N'jork wrote:I installed it when it first came out, I have had absolutely zero problems with compatibility or anything for that matter.
How old/new is your computer? What brand/make?