Chat Range Configuring

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Syrena Exan
Lost One

Chat Range Configuring

Post by Syrena Exan »

Last night was my first time using RPMod for quite a while, and my first time using it on a fresh install for years. As such, I forgot how wide spread chat ranges can be even with the fade, and struggled a bit to keep up with the very busy chat. Then I remembered that I used to have the chat ranges edited, and headed over to the RPMod info area to find the command. It wasn't in the command list! After some digging, I was able to find the commands in another thread. Maybe some would like to use these? I know I can't play on a busy server without them.
Soh Raun wrote:The whole idea is simple: fading the message depending on the distance. Here is the default behavior:
  • If the distance between you and the person who talks is below or equal to the minimum range (default 128 game units), the message is displayed with 100% opacity (fully visible).
  • If the distance is greater or equal to the maximum range (default 1024 game units), the message is displayed with 25% opacity (transparent).
  • If the distance is between the min and max range, the opacity of the message is adjusted depending on the distance. If it's quite close to you, it will be slightly faded (for example, a distance of 300 units will make the message display with an opacity of 85%). And if it's rather far, it'll be more transparent (for example, a distance of 800 units translates to an opacity of 43%).
Almost everything is configurable client-side, with Cvars:
  • rpc_chatRange_mode :
    • 0 = don't use chat ranges at all (see everything with 100% opacity)
    • 1 = display all messages, but fade them depending on the distance (like described above)
    • 2 = same as 1, but don't even display messages with a distance greater than the max range; they will still be faded between the min and max range.
    • 3 = only display messages below the min range (no fading at all). But if you use this, be sure to increase the min range or you will miss a lot of messages (because 128 is really close).
  • rpc_chatRange_min : minimum range (default 128 game units)
  • rpc_chatRange_max : maximum range (default 1024 game units)
  • rpc_chatRange_alpha : minimum alpha (transparency) value, in percent (default 25)
Note that no matter what mode you choose, all chat messages will still appear in the console.

Server-side, chat ranges are controlled with these Cvars:
  • rp_chatRange_enabled : global switch of the Chat Ranges feature (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)
  • rp_chatRange_channels : bitvalue of the channels affected by Chat Ranges. By default, only SAY_ALL (global chat) is affected, but I think we'll configure it to also affect SAY_TEAM (team chat) on the JEDI server, for missions. Private chat, clan chat, bond chat are unaffected by ranges.
  • rp_chatRange_ignoreTags[number]_[left/right] : this is used to determine which messages should not be affected by Chat Ranges. By setting rp_chatRange_ignoreTags1_left to "((" and rp_chatRange_ignoreTags1_right to "))", all OOC chat will be ignored by the Chat Ranges system and will appear with 100% opacity (because it's global).

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Re: Chat Range Configuring

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Ah, you always did know all the nifty little tricks. I'd been wondering how to edit that one, because there are days with 20-30 people on the server and it just becomes a deluge of slightly-faded text. Thanks for putting that out there, Syrena :)
Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

This is really helpful and easy to use. Thanks for sharing, Syrena!
Homeworld: Coruscant (Level 1243) | Species: Pantoran | Age: 15 | Born: 329.02 | Initiated: 342.06 | Apprenticed: 343.02 | Mentor: Jel'a Vra

Inventory: Skimboard, Comlink, Datapad (Custom Modified), Training Lightsaber
Isane Fenris
Lost One

Post by Isane Fenris »

Finally. I remember this being mentioned somewhere, but could never find it. Thank you so much, Syrena! :)

Image|age_52|height_1.65|species_dathomirian|mentor_motoko.isawa/aslyn.denethorn/simus.cnydaria|padawan_trin.oniron/vania.starr|

Keth Flynn
Lost One

Post by Keth Flynn »

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=3018

(was bookmarked)
Name:Keth Flynn|Birthdate:315.18 ABY|Mentor:Dev Kai|Knighted:346.29|

Silas Vir'n
Lost One

Post by Silas Vir'n »

I've just done a little test and I've found halving all the values really makes it more immersive in terms of someone in the other room is a little more difficult to read, whereas if they're in front of you, it's clear and legible.

name_silas.vir'n|age_47|height_1.93m|rank_knight

Zander-Bo Umra
Lost One

Post by Zander-Bo Umra »

I would recommend you never actually use rpc_chatRange_mode 2 or 3. Having all those low-opacity texts in your screen might sometimes break immersion, but on the other hand being -yelled- to from the other side of the arena and not reading it because you've things like this set up can definitely break your roleplay, while you can still pretend you didn't hear it while able to read it.

A friendly tip from someone who quickly turned it back to mode 1 after using it for ten minutes.
| Species: Human | Homeworld: Coruscant | Born: 318.16 | Initiated: 324.27 | Apprenticed: 326.13, 329.08 | Knighted: 338.17 | Mentors: K. Orion, A. Silaan

"The Code is not a script, it's a guide." - Zander-Bo Umra, 329.30 ABY

"May my body guide my blade, my mind harness its core, the Force guide my feet." - Zander-Bo Umra, 331.29

Coren Ran
Lost One
Location: Rannon, Rannon System, Instrop Sector, Outer Rim Territories

Post by Coren Ran »

Here's a question I'd be curious to hear the answer too, is if people use the disable chat sound command.

After hearing it for so long, turning it off for five minutes felt unnatural; thus, the sound remains on.
| mentor_xa'o.zalei | padawans_atrux.nuro/zekii.abrak/agitt.tanwa/rei.xaria/nico.keztor/jerex.sol/krei'dexx'onubi/wolo.tay |
Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

The first question I asked on the day I came back was "How do I turn off the chat sound?"

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron