New & Old Canon | Where do we stand?

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Jago Mirax
Lost One

New & Old Canon | Where do we stand?

Post by Jago Mirax »

Morning, Afternoon, Evening everyone!

This is something that's been on my mind ever since Disney/Lucasfilm announced the old canon would no longer be recognized in favor of what is being developed and created through the new films, books, comics etc. I'm sure a few of you have been thinking about it as well, and as far as I know, we don't have a thread on the subject yet. Call me stupid and redirect me elsewhere if I'm wrong.

My thoughts on the matter are pretty simple and I'm just wondering if we're all in the same boat here or if there is another 'plan' in the works. I'm assuming that once The Force Awakens comes out, we will be using that film and the subsequent follow-ups as the more 'solid' information in which we reference our roleplay-especially in regards to the Skywalker/Solo family. Obviously it extends beyond their legacy, but their storyline is directly connected to the Jedi Order which in turn affects us. We can't exactly have two past storylines working alongside one another if indeed we have a new Jacen and Jaina Solo in TFA, for example.

Now I'm not suggesting we completely adopt the new canon because otherwise half of us wouldn't technically exist due to our species choices! Let's not forget all the items, worlds, creatures etc. They would vanish in a flash, also. It would be nice to get clarification, for all of us, on where we stand with the historical events surrounding the Jedi Order and the story that's been set between the Clone Wars and say two hundred and fifty years prior to now.

This is especially relevant in regards to historical classes and the like. Did the Yuuzahn Vong exist and inflict the damage on the galaxy that Luke's Order only just stopped? Was Cade Skywalker born, and did the One Sith come to fruition under Darth Kryat & Co? Was Mara Jade Luke's wife and Ben his son?

So many questions and variables I think we need to address. I'm personally in favor of adopting the new storyline but there is an issue with that. We may not know all the details for another 5-10 years.

Let's discuss it here people and perhaps create a poll with a few options for us to vote on.

Hope I've made sense and I'm sorry if this is being discussed elsewhere!

Thanks,
Jago

| Birthdate: 322.21 ABY | Age: 61 |

Aelon Besarat
Lost One

Re: New & Old Canon | Where do we stand?

Post by Aelon Besarat »

I'd also very much like to get some clarification on this!

Personally I'd prefer to maintain what legends has done; mix both official canon and legends canon and provide explanations for the discrepancies to form a diverse and flushed out amalgamation. :)

Should the Yuuzhan Vong war never occur in official canon, for example, one would simply make an addendum to the legends wiki pages as they did with The Clone Wars cartoon or Rebels.

Thus Legends canon might say something to the tune of... "Luke Skywalker was the grand master of the new Jedi Order who fought in the Vong war, before that he fought a man named Kyle Ren." Should he... Actually fight Kylo. :D
Last edited by Aelon Besarat on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aelon Besarat // Species: Nautolan // Born: 330.27 // Homeworld: Glee Anselm
Former Mentor: Wrennin Vae
Former Rank: Padawan
Initiated: 343.01 // Apprenticed: 343.16 // Abdicated: 347.18
Zander-Bo Umra
Lost One

Post by Zander-Bo Umra »

If the new Lore can be incorporated with some tiny love I'd be for it, but I'm not going to ignore old Lore because of Jar-Jar Binks' creator said so. Man can't be trusted.
| Species: Human | Homeworld: Coruscant | Born: 318.16 | Initiated: 324.27 | Apprenticed: 326.13, 329.08 | Knighted: 338.17 | Mentors: K. Orion, A. Silaan

"The Code is not a script, it's a guide." - Zander-Bo Umra, 329.30 ABY

"May my body guide my blade, my mind harness its core, the Force guide my feet." - Zander-Bo Umra, 331.29

Wen-Ordo
Lost One

Post by Wen-Ordo »

From what I understand and what was told to me, was that JEDI will still be following the EU regardless of what the movies outcomes are, so it wouldn't effect us at all as a clan; I could be wrong but this is what was mentioned to me .. :D
|Full name:Wen-Ordo | Age: 88 | Initiated: 327.21 ABY|Noviced: 329.03 ABY |
| Apprenticed: 329.04 ABY | Knighted: 340.20 ABY |Mentor: Amalia Feyn|
|Padawans: Voh Phaar, Krask Kabal,Dariun Antane, Aren Kelpor |
| Species: Vurk| Homeworld: Sembla/Tatooine|
Jago Mirax
Lost One

Post by Jago Mirax »

Aelon Besarat wrote:I'd also very much like to get some clarification on this!

Personally I'd prefer to maintain what legends has done; mix both official canon and legends canon and provide explanations for the discrepancies to form a diverse and flushed out amalgamation. :)

Should the Yuuzhan Vong war never occur in official canon, for example, one would simply make an addendum to the legends wiki pages as they did with The Clone Wars cartoon or Rebels.

Thus Legends canon might say something to the tune of... "Luke Skywalker was the grand master of the new Jedi Order who fought in the Vong war, before that he fought a man named Kyle Ren." Should he... Actually fight Kylo. :D
I agree with you Aelon, mixing is the best bet, however I'm not sure it works with the Skywalkers and their shannonagans. The Force Awakens is set at exactly the same time as the Vong War/Fate of the Jedi series and thus collides dramatically with your idea. What if Kylo Ren is Lukes son? What becomes of Ben Skywalker and his involvement in the 'Fate of the Jedi' series specifically? Are Kylo and Ben then considered brothers? I'm not in favor of this idea, although mixing the stories that stem from minor characters in both legends and canon is plausible and should be done.

It's far too complicated to mess with the Skywalkers. It would distort the meaningfulness of both Legends and Canon if we mess around with the Skywalker/Solo history. One 'timeline' has to take presidence over the other in my opinion.
Zander-Bo Umra wrote:If the new Lore can be incorporated with some tiny love I'd be for it, but I'm not going to ignore old Lore because of Jar-Jar Binks' creator said so. Man can't be trusted.
We definitely shouldn't ignore the old lore because we need most of it to use as a reference for future RP as I stated above! Perhaps I should have made it more clear that my main concern is everything surrounding 'them' again (Skywalkers/Solo). Lucas didn't discount legends either - that was Disney and the Lucasfilm story group. Before Disney came along it still wasnt considered official canon, you're right, but it's all we had and what most fans considered to be legit.

Now we have a divide, hence the need for this post!

| Birthdate: 322.21 ABY | Age: 61 |

Cael Dan’kor
Lost One

Post by Cael Dan’kor »

JEDI has always pulled lore and lived in the realm of Legends. The new films will have no affect on JEDI. That being said: some of the new content is pretty decent and worth a read. I do feel; however, it was disrespectful in a way to the fans who dedicated a lot of their time to learning the material and writers for creating the content. Hell, they still got paid, but I imagine most of them are hardcore Star Wars fans at heart and felt good that their work truly added something to the universe. I am a little confused why they would erase the content from the Old Republic because I do not think it'll have an affect on the new films. Maybe they will rectify that choice later if Disney does not want to delve into that part of the timeline. They're keeping it on hold, I think, in case they want to.

But like I said before: I do love most of the content they are putting forward. It's easier for me to get in the know. I joined the canon junky party later, and at the time when Legends was canon it was quite overwhelming how much content there was. That's partly why Disney did it as well. More accessible to fans. The obvious reason being so they would have creative freedom to take the universe in a different direction. The Kotor games, Dark Horse Comics, and many more are still near and dear to my heart, but I understand why Disney did it. And labeling them legends doesn't hurt me much. I'll still play those games and read these books and comics and still enjoy them. I'm excited for the new films. I'm excited for the new canon. (Plus, if I'm honest, the content after RotJ is kinda awkward. I prefer the Old Republic which hasn't been touched yet so maybe that's why I am more tolerant).

I apologise for the grammar mistakes. I typed this out on my phone. I was inspired.
Korona Rihera
Lost One

Post by Korona Rihera »

While we aren't basing our storyline off anything that Disney has made, I feel there is little to no reason for us not to at least include some of the new planets that we've gotten such as Jakku from Episode 7 or Lothal from Rebels. They're still worth having a look at and can provide opportunities for creating new stories for us to tell.

Many of us have roleplayed species that have very little detail attached to them, and we've had to make up things on the spot. Questions like "How do Miraluka see computer screens?" or "How well can Nelvaan's hear?".

A lot of details have been put out for Lothal, so it would be the easiest to incorporate provided we actually feel like including the planet. Jakku has fewer details, but enough for us to have a stable rp, again provided we feel like including the planet.

On my personal take with the hard reset of star wars canon, I personally like it. Legends was far too cluttered with way too many inconsistencies. Hopefully with Disney taking the reins, it'll be much more organized.

I do like that Disney is still keeping a good chunk of the previous lore intact, all the lightsaber forms are still named the same, none of the species have been renamed. The only real change I've noticed was Korriban being changed to Moraband.
Korona Rihera | Homeworld: Ord Mantell | Species: Miraluka | Age: 18 | Next Birthday: 348.23 | Rank: Initiate | Initiated: 333.16 | Noviced: | Mentor: | Apprenticed: | Pilot License: None
Motoko
Lost One

Post by Motoko »

Read Lost Stars and Aftermath. Both take place in the new canon.

F-ing amazing.