Life in a Monastery

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Cerez Kay
Lost One

Life in a Monastery

Post by Cerez Kay »

The following documentary film series gives an inspiring glimpse into what real everyday life in a monastery looks like -- which is in big part the overall theme of our role-plays at JEDI.

I thought I'd share this source of inspiration in hope that together we can create a more realistic picture of life in a Jedi Praxeum, one that will give us more role-play focused fun.

I've noticed that we've all really gone easy and fallen into an OOC habit of doing things out of boredom instead of living the lives of our characters, so I'm hoping that this will help to enlighten us how we can keep our characters human with their passion, personalities, and desires, but at the same time represent the more disciplined life of living in a Jedi monastery.

We are role-playing Jedi after all, and there should be a sense of respect and order in our monastery, even with the kids, no matter how immature, teenage, and impulsive they may be.

In particular the last two episodes are noteworthy -- the last one being more interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ZgX_dIFyUx

P.S. Even though we're having fun, we're not in a summer camp, after all. We're still living in a monastery of the Jedi Order, training to take a responsible role in protecting life, peace and justice in the galaxy as insightful and competent Jedi Knights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUIBfPvfvMc

We should focus our efforts on expanding on our role-playing world through our characters' eyes. Role-playing *is* fun -- that's why we have this community in the first place. There are so many interesting stories we can come up with.

Personally, I love the challenges of making an unruly child understand and learn the ways of the Jedi -- but that's my perspective, coming from my character's personality. There are of course a gazillion other ways to create exciting role-plays in a Jedi monastery.
Homeworld: Coruscant (Level 1243) | Species: Pantoran | Age: 15 | Born: 329.02 | Initiated: 342.06 | Apprenticed: 343.02 | Mentor: Jel'a Vra

Inventory: Skimboard, Comlink, Datapad (Custom Modified), Training Lightsaber
Cerez Kay
Lost One

Re: Life in a Monastery

Post by Cerez Kay »

So to clarify, I'm not saying we shouldn't have fun. We most definitely should -- that's what we're here to do. But we should do it role-playing, not randomly messing around out of boredom. There are FFA environments for that kind of fun just as readily available.

Our focus should be on immersing ourselves in our characters and their lives, relating to others' characters, bringing some original ideas and events through our character to the table, and having fun IC.

If anyone has any other research material or interesting stories about life in a monastery or Jedi Temple, feel free to share. It would be good if we can collect as much inspiration as we can to enrich our role-play.
Homeworld: Coruscant (Level 1243) | Species: Pantoran | Age: 15 | Born: 329.02 | Initiated: 342.06 | Apprenticed: 343.02 | Mentor: Jel'a Vra

Kro’jan Touru
Lost One

Post by Kro’jan Touru »

Wonderful documentary films. watching the first one truly inspired me. it definitely describes how Jedi should live their lives. The amount of discipline and commitment to their lives is unwavering no matter how simple it might be, each and everyone was fulfilling their roles perfectly, as though, they were born to play that role. It'd inspire us even in our real life not just in game. and I think that experiencing what our characters go through everyday, expressing their feelings, doing things for the first time and enjoying it (doesn't matter if you've done something like that before, experiencing it again with a new character as if it's your first time holds a different type of fun and satisfaction), watching your characters grow up and make their progress the way you. all of that definitely holds an amount of satisfaction that goes beyond just "Having fun"
Cerez Kay wrote:I've noticed that we've all really gone easy and fallen into an OOC habit of doing things out of boredom instead of living the lives of our characters, so I'm hoping that this will help to enlighten us how we can keep our characters human with their passion, personalities, and desires, but at the same time represent the more disciplined life of living in a Jedi monastery.

We are role-playing Jedi after all, and there should be a sense of respect and order in our monastery, even with the kids, no matter how immature, teenage, and impulsive they may be.

P.S. Even though we're having fun, we're not in a summer camp, after all. We're still living in a monastery of the Jedi Order, training to take a responsible role in protecting life, peace and justice in the galaxy as insightful and competent Jedi Knights.
I totally agree with you, Cerez I don't have a lot to say about it, since you already mentioned the most important points, but here's something I wanted share with all of you.
Cael Dan’kor wrote:I see JEDI like a stage or theatre.
Imagine you're watching a theatre production and all of a sudden in the corner there are like three or four characters doing nonsense in the corner
while there's a scene going on
Cerez Kay wrote:We should focus our efforts on expanding on our role-playing world through our characters' eyes. Role-playing *is* fun -- that's why we have this community in the first place. There are so many interesting stories we can come up with.

Personally, I love the challenges of making an unruly child understand and learn the ways of the Jedi -- but that's my perspective, coming from my character's personality. There are of course a gazillion other ways to create exciting role-plays in a Jedi monastery.
That's also true. at first back when I was still new to JEDI, I thought that events, lessons, exercises and stuff like that were just the mentors' job, and I only came online when a Knight was on thinking that he/she will host something for us, so, basically I never thought about creating my own RP, I waited for RP to happen and I just took part in it. at this time I saw a select few students hosting games, lessons and other cool stuff, but I never thought of doing the same until I read this.
Aslyn Denethorn wrote:For reference, I was a Padawan at a time when there weren't a lot of active Knights and Masters - they were around, but not nearly as much as Knights are nowadays. When our Masters were around, we focused on our training - the rest of the time, we focused on our RP, because we had to make a lot of it ourselves.
So, It's something we should all try to do. and I don't mean that we should all do the same and host games or lessons everyday, there's a lot of creative stuff we could do instead. gathering in the garden and having a chat or discussion among the students is just a small example.

I think if we all consider these points, things will get more than just fun, but I don't really know about you all. I'd really like to hear what you think, guys.
Wrennin Vae
Lost One

Post by Wrennin Vae »

Cerez Kay wrote:I thought I'd share this source of inspiration in hope that together we can create a more realistic picture of life in a Jedi Praxeum, one that will give us more role-play focused fun.

I've noticed that we've all really gone easy and fallen into an OOC habit of doing things out of boredom instead of living the lives of our characters, so I'm hoping that this will help to enlighten us how we can keep our characters human with their passion, personalities, and desires, but at the same time represent the more disciplined life of living in a Jedi monastery.

One of the cornerstones of Star Wars as a franchise is that it isn't consistent with itself. Watching the original trilogy, it isn't much of a stretch to believe that having children and spouses as a Jedi was the norm. It's only when the monklike Order of the prequels came around that having any form of relationship became nothing more than a cliché plotpoint for Anakin's descent to the darkside.

My point from this is that different incarnations of the Jedi Order appeal to different people. Some like the strict monks of the prequels; others like the adaptable soldiers of the New Jedi Order. I personally have given my heart to the Old Republic style, which lies somewhere in the middle. If we were ever to enforce a particular ideal, and I never for one second would suggest that we do, it logically would be the New Jedi Order, being closer to our own timeline.

I agree that the temple has changed since I arrived in October 2014. The bowing, titles and other signs of respect were more prevalent, even amongst students towards each other. However, it does offer a sense of progression if timed well. I never enforce people addressing me as they 'should', but I always insist on giving the right title myself when addressing others. But again, it is the individual's choice, whether to enforce another or enforce themselves.

Similarly, the monk lifestyle if you were to choose it does have drawbacks. Much of the discipline and routine happens 'off camera', in a person's personal time. The curse (and blessing) of server RP is that much of this routine for Jedi would happen whilst you're not actually in game. If I come on, I want to RP interactions, conversations, lessons, learning. By contrast, sitting by myself and RPing '/me meditates, feeling the flow of the Force surrounding and impacting him' is more out of boredom than what you've suggested. Wrennin isn't much for sticking to routine but what routine he does is implicitly off screen, whilst I'm not on sever.

TL;DR: If you feel that people are too flippant with their characters, that is their choice. I'll choose conversation/interaction over sparring every day of the week, but I'd rather spar than sit by myself following a monklike routine. It's fine to have inspiration and I'd encourage looking to other sources to help pinpoint what you want to achieve. But not everyone has the same goal, nor should they aim for the same one. If this is the path you want to take, and good on you for taking it, lead from the front rather than the back.
Cerez Kay wrote:There are of course a gazillion other ways to create exciting role-plays in a Jedi monastery.

Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

Kro'jan Touru wrote:That's also true. at first back when I was still new to JEDI, I thought that events, lessons, exercises and stuff like that were just the mentors' job, and I only came online when a Knight was on thinking that he/she will host something for us, so, basically I never thought about creating my own RP, I waited for RP to happen and I just took part in it. at this time I saw a select few students hosting games, lessons and other cool stuff, but I never thought of doing the same until I read this.
I personally find it a good approach and rule of thumb (or guide) I set for myself as a student character that before I step on the server and begin role-playing, I first think of something unique that my character will bring with her today -- something from her daily life, her experience. When I share this "new thing" with others, and engage them, a new role-playing story starts to form.

If everyone thought about their character's life and brought something new with them before they stepped on, the entire temple role-play experience would jump ten-fold, and become so much more immersive. We wouldn't have time to be bored. There would be always some exciting role-playing story happening.
Wrennin Vae wrote: TL;DR: If you feel that people are too flippant with their characters, that is their choice. I'll choose conversation/interaction over sparring every day of the week, but I'd rather spar than sit by myself following a monklike routine. It's fine to have inspiration and I'd encourage looking to other sources to help pinpoint what you want to achieve. But not everyone has the same goal, nor should they aim for the same one. If this is the path you want to take, and good on you for taking it, lead from the front rather than the back.
I already have, and I will continue to do so, Wrennin.

The thing is, there is much to enjoy in learning to become a Jedi, and by that I don't mean just the physical and Force training. There is a whole character development arc that happens as you character gains an understanding and slowly grasps the concept of what it really means to be a Jedi over the years. Characters have to face their own personality and demons, and just like that little boy, or the leading monk in those videos, they have challenges to face. These challenges can in turn inspire exciting stories for everyone involved.

Being a Jedi is not about swinging a plasma sword around and doing cool tricks with the Force -- we all know this. There is so much more to it than that, and we often neglect these aspects of character development. It's not theory -- it's a personal journey, full of adventures.

What you're saying is fine, and I agree, that we all have different needs and perspectives, but we *are* playing in the same role-playing world. If we leave personal relations and proper conduct to unfold to the whim of every character within the Jedi Order how they please, then we'll only have a chaotic role-playing environment, and a Jedi Order that feels like it's in chaos.

There should be certain expectations on all members of the Order. It doesn't mean that everyone will follow these -- but if they don't, there will be a strong IC reason why they don't, and their characters will seem out of place with the customary ways. After all, there is a general upbringing that growing up in the Order should make our characters aspire to be like.

If you were to take us to face the Sith as we are now, let's face it, the galaxy would be in ruins. We have no discipline, no sense of tradition, or unity. We're all working and deciding for ourselves, basically, as completely free and independent minds, as an unlikely group of heroes mashed together. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's not how the Jedi Order was -- ever -- in Star Wars' long fictional history.

The Order always gained strength through tradition, and a sense of harmony and unity.

Galen Sol
Lost One

Post by Galen Sol »

The desire to enrich the current roleplay is an admirable one, and it's far from impossible: In fact, plenty of us agree that it'd be a great chance for members to really get down and into their characters. I've wanted to feel comfortable having Galen sit down and really write his ideas out on paper, or meditate in the peace of a sunlit garden in the high-noon.

When I envision these moments, I see a Jedi Knight or Master teaching a class of younglings below in the grass, swinging their training lightsabers from left to right, right to left, following their instructor as he teaches them the basics of lightsaber combat. It brings about a sense of nostalgia, but also reminds me that it could be possible, and it wouldn't be the first time I've encountered a similar situation, but looked at it in an entirely different way that wasn't relevant to what I just stated.

Often these opportunities to just be a presence go unnoticed or pass by people, and I think even if you're not part of a big, boiling pot of RP somewhere in front of you with various students and such, you're still a presence in the area, and still have your own RP to go about. Cerez, your post opened my mind a little bit, and I hardly had to read much on it, because you're totally right: The Rannon Praxeum is a Jedi monastery, we are technically monks. Of course, it's been stated that our branch of the Jedi is the most unorthodox and odd, in a sense, it would be nice to feel that big, empty and open space of the Praxeum, like a monastery would feel. Peaceful, empty, not full and heavy like it can sometimes get.

There's a lot more I have on my mind about it, but thank you for making this wonderful post. It's inspiring to say the least, and maybe now I'll have a bit more perspective to my roleplays than I did before.
Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

One thing I will note is that in our roleplay, our particular sect of the order was always known to other temples as the strange one. The one where they do things different, act more casual, take in the troubled ones. I would hate to lose that, as the reputation has allowed us to have more varied character development instead of being the cookie-cutter Jedi we typically treat NPCs from other temples as. Yes, some things should be a certain way because of the type of establishment we are, but I definitely don't want us to restrict ourselves to the point where we have to follow one stardard set of rules, one path, one character type.

I like to think of us as being like Luke's brand new group of Jedi instead of like the Coruscant temple.

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Jago Mirax
Lost One

Post by Jago Mirax »

Syrena Exan wrote:One thing I will note is that in our roleplay, our particular sect of the order was always known to other temples as the strange one. The one where they do things different, act more casual, take in the troubled ones. I would hate to lose that, as the reputation has allowed us to have more varied character development instead of being the cookie-cutter Jedi we typically treat NPCs from other temples as. Yes, some things should be a certain way because of the type of establishment we are, but I definitely don't want us to restrict ourselves to the point where we have to follow one stardard set of rules, one path, one character type.

I like to think of us as being like Luke's brand new group of Jedi instead of like the Coruscant temple.
+1

| Birthdate: 322.21 ABY | Age: 61 |

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Also worth noting that most monasteries didn't take in children: the vast majority of monasteries were joined by young adults or full adults prepared to live a cloistered life in worship of God. Jedi Temples don't work this way: they take in young children, complete with their impulsive and reckless behaviours, and slowly teach them the Jedi lifestyle. They're not immune to fun or crazy activities (just read Dark Rendezvous if you want a sense of day-to-day Temple life), but there is that undertone of seriousness that you'd expect to characterise a school or, yes, a monastery.

I completely agree that the need for immersion is there, but I've never minded people having a little fun, provided it's not so wildly out of context as to be absurd (which, let's face it, often happens).
Isane Fenris
Lost One

Post by Isane Fenris »

Jago Mirax wrote:
Syrena Exan wrote:One thing I will note is that in our roleplay, our particular sect of the order was always known to other temples as the strange one. The one where they do things different, act more casual, take in the troubled ones. I would hate to lose that, as the reputation has allowed us to have more varied character development instead of being the cookie-cutter Jedi we typically treat NPCs from other temples as. Yes, some things should be a certain way because of the type of establishment we are, but I definitely don't want us to restrict ourselves to the point where we have to follow one stardard set of rules, one path, one character type.

Image|age_52|height_1.65|species_dathomirian|mentor_motoko.isawa/aslyn.denethorn/simus.cnydaria|padawan_trin.oniron/vania.starr|

Aelon Besarat
Lost One

Post by Aelon Besarat »

Aslyn Denethorn wrote:Also worth noting that most monasteries didn't take in children: the vast majority of monasteries were joined by young adults or full adults prepared to live a cloistered life in worship of God. Jedi Temples don't work this way: they take in young children, complete with their impulsive and reckless behaviours, and slowly teach them the Jedi lifestyle. They're not immune to fun or crazy activities (just read Dark Rendezvous if you want a sense of day-to-day Temple life), but there is that undertone of seriousness that you'd expect to characterise a school or, yes, a monastery.

I completely agree that the need for immersion is there, but I've never minded people having a little fun, provided it's not so wildly out of context as to be absurd (which, let's face it, often happens).
I'm almost entirely sure Rezzy meant Buddhist Monasteries whom take in children depending on their views and the circumstances surrounding it.

My memory is quite bad but last night I described the Jedi Order as a sect of Chan Buddhist monks, furthering themselves with meditation to reach enlightenment! While we are faaar less strict on many many rules, I do still think the lifestyle is there.

Regardless...
Syrena Exan wrote:One thing I will note is that in our roleplay, our particular sect of the order was always known to other temples as the strange one. The one where they do things different, act more casual, take in the troubled ones. I would hate to lose that, as the reputation has allowed us to have more varied character development instead of being the cookie-cutter Jedi we typically treat NPCs from other temples as.
I feel like this is one of the most important aspects of /our/ Jedi. We take in the diamonds in the rough; over time the 'rough' is cleared away and diamond beneath shows through. In all honesty that is why I joined JEDI instead of other people. :)
Aelon Besarat // Species: Nautolan // Born: 330.27 // Homeworld: Glee Anselm
Former Mentor: Wrennin Vae
Former Rank: Padawan
Initiated: 343.01 // Apprenticed: 343.16 // Abdicated: 347.18