[Hopefuls] Don't be discouraged!

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Galen Sol
Lost One

[Hopefuls] Don't be discouraged!

Post by Galen Sol »

To all hopefuls from now and in the future,

Don't be discouraged!
Stick through everything as best you can, and things will start to fall in place. To say that none of the people who are now students, Knights and otherwise haven't been hopefuls at a point would be a straight lie. Someone once told me, being a hopeful of all your time in JEDI will probably be the hardest in terms of staying dedicated, but the community you're looking to join has so much to offer in terms of roleplay. It's not uncommon for people who have joined to become those who eventually are the ones making major changes to the format and infrastructure of JEDI!

I can't appeal to all hopefuls when I say this, but it's true that some of us might feel like we're being cast off to the side as a character when we just want to roleplay. In that regard, I can really understand it, but there are better ways to get yourself involved than just by attending classes if and when you can. Connecting to your other hopefuls and developing friendships among your age group and among the student body are vital, as those are the people who will be growing alongside your character, and the students of now will become the mentors of tomorrow. Don't forget to speak to the mentoring-body either, they're the most reliable and open sources of assistance and, surprise, mentoring you can get! If I'd have to name a few, then I'd probably be discriminating because, well, they're all pretty helpful. :wink:

If you stay dedicated to what you set out to accomplish at the beginning of your hopeful days, I promise that you'll be pleasantly surprised and you'll find that dedication and effort in your roleplays are rewarded. I won't spoil anything for you in regards to your futures, because I honestly don't know, but it's all about how you carry yourself and your character that determines where you will go. That, and whatever aspirations you've set out to achieve for your character when you create them with the intention of becoming a member of the community.

I digress, back to my original message. Don't be discouraged! There's far more waiting ahead of you than just being a little kid, which I can understand is a pain for some and easy for others. Heck, even I haven't experienced the full scope of roleplaying in JEDI yet, which goes to show that induction into the official community is a small step toward a greater concept. Look to your acquaintances, peers and students for answers when you need them. As I said, they'll most likely be the mentors you look up to during your own student years, if all goes well! Dedication in itself is a great contribution on your part.

Warning: For those desiring a little more personal experience and relations, I've set out some information about my own days as a hopeful below. Very optional, of course!

When I first joined JEDI, my thoughts were, "Wow, this community seems like it'll be a doozy to become a member of. I wonder if they'll take kindly to the style of roleplaying I've formed over so many years of, well, just different kinds of roleplaying."
I was learning the ropes, getting affiliated with all the proper etiquette for both OOC and IC and just figuring out where I wanted my character to go when I joined. To be honest, I didn't have much of a goal for my current character until I visualized his path and thought back to how I was as a child, a 13 year old boy. What was I like back then, and how can I use my own experiences to develop Galen past more than just a stereotype or archetype of what's been done before?

I utilized Galen's past to bring about a foreign, street-savvy young teenager with past trauma. Despite being so uncomfortable and feeling so tense, Galen made friends that are now indistinguishable from brothers (had one of them not been a brown ithorian scrub), and has an undying loyalty to his comrades. I connected with my fellows in and out of game, and a lot of that is important. You need to be able to be a pillar of the community, a support, in order to be supported by others. During my first month, I couldn't bring myself to log in for a little over a week because I felt it was futile, but when I came back, everyone around me had been initiated. It was embarassing, I could've been there too!

The dedication I showed by continuing to stick around and pull myself together even with such a sting eventually led me right up to taking my first step in the community as an initiate, and boy, things have sure come far since then. In many cases, being a hopeful is a test of dedication and your ability to develop relationships and connections even at the most basic level of membership in JEDI. You can take it first hand from a source that had lost all hope and let it beat him down just to get right back up, getting initiated is not the be-all end-all. If you set your goals to that, set them further back. Set them to something greater than just a rank in JEDI, set them to something achievable but splendorous for your characters. A change of color in tags doesn't matter, but the road that led up to that simple change is what makes the difference, and every step and word contributes to the journey from hopeful to initiate, padawan and knight. Never set yourself to the mindset of, "I want to be a Knight." but set yourself to, "I want my character to have many experiences of all kinds during her or his life."

That's just my suggestion, just a peek into how I operate. I never cared for a rank, but I look forward to each and every experience I can thrust myself into and come out with a little more history to call my own with Galen, and Galen's history is far from concluded.

Egotistical Self-Analysis Ended

Thank you for reading my post, no matter who you are. Hopeful to Master, or even just a guest visiting the website out of curiosity. I want to inspire you and help you understand that there are far more things to look forward to and set out for yourself than what currently is, and that things will come together sooner or slightly later than you might expect. Also because I don't want to develop a connection to a character that has potential just to see them back away and become discouraged, that's a real downer! Pick yourself up and show me what you've got, I'm always looking forward to the next great, eye-catching personality to enter the scene.
Ragnar Lofgren

Re: [Hopefuls] Don't be discouraged!

Post by Ragnar Lofgren »

This was very insightful and a good read. It has enabled me to understand a little more about what to expect over the coming weeks as a Hopeful.

10/10 would read again.