[SPOILERS] SW Ep. VII: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Cael Dan’kor
Lost One

Re: [SPOILERS] SW Ep. VII: The Force Awakens Discussion Thre

Post by Cael Dan’kor »

It's gonna be a really hard sell if they try to redeem him.
Isane Fenris
Lost One

Post by Isane Fenris »

I'm late, but it's been rough.

I just watched it.

It was freaking amazing. I loved every minute.

I look forward to more.

Image|age_52|height_1.65|species_dathomirian|mentor_motoko.isawa/aslyn.denethorn/simus.cnydaria|padawan_trin.oniron/vania.starr|

Iffo Rav'i
Lost One

Post by Iffo Rav'i »

Whilst I do feel the story is essentially A New Hope mixed with elements of the Empire Strikes Back, it was still really good and loved every moment.

When the Crawling Text started, I couldn't help but sit and grin like an idiot.

Although, one think I didn't like was, I do think some of the 'throwbacks' felt shoehorned in.. such as the Dejarik board.

Jedi Master | High Councillor | Advisor to the Galactic Senate
Born: 333.06 | Initiated: 342.08 | Knighted: 357.07 | Mastered: 388.18 | Died: 435.29
Mentors: Wrennin Vae // Chothi Uxaala // Maia Rimora | Padawan: Serir Vun // Tycho Varga

Isane Fenris
Lost One

Post by Isane Fenris »

I felt there were one too many throwbacks, too, but I grew to appreciate them as time went along. :lol:

Image|age_52|height_1.65|species_dathomirian|mentor_motoko.isawa/aslyn.denethorn/simus.cnydaria|padawan_trin.oniron/vania.starr|

Cero Rooi
Lost One

Post by Cero Rooi »

Korona Rihera wrote:Interesting the immense contrast between Vader and Kylo.

Vader chooses to spare his son, Kylo murders his father

Vader has immense skill with a Lightsaber, Kylo has not

Vader is still a challenge even when wounded (ravaged in TFU, he's tougher in the dark side ending), Kylo lets his wounds get to him despite his tolerance for pain.

Vader is in control of his emotions, calling on them when necessary, Kylo is almost always pissed off (though they do make for some hilarious scenes in the movie).

There are a number, but comparing Kylo and Vader, Vader is the true threat, Kylo is a mere pretender. He still has much to learn.
Anakin Skywalker was trained by the capacity of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant; of course he'll be more gifted and more disciplined than Kylo Ren.

name_cero.rooi|age_37|height_1.79m|rank_knight

Duncan Therin
Lost One

Post by Duncan Therin »

Gotta' agree to the throwback comment. I came to appreciate it if only for the fact that it's likely the only time we're going to see things like that. I'm not completely sure if they're going to continue this feel of the originals for episode 8, but if they do then we may expect more of those 'throwbacks' more or less. As for the Han Solo death, if they redeemed Kylo I don't think I could approve of the series anymore, it's almost like an opposite to Vader in that regard if you ask me.

Just to throw in my two cents with the who's better Kylo/Vader thing going on. It's going to be Vader, years more of experience than Kylo, way more training. Many mentors, perspectives of the Light and Dark Sides for what it counts as well. Additionally, at the end of the movie Snoke mentions that Kylo hasn't even finished his training yet, so there is no solid ground here until we see what this final trial is going to be. The only reason I think that Rey and Finn won the fight is because Kylo had just taken a bowcaster shot from a Wookie... that in and of itself is a pretty bad wound, but that's why he kept breaking off his attack when he could've easily killed either of if not both Finn and Rey at various parts in their fight.

Oh, and I know it's not confirmed, but I'm going to go ahead and say that Rey is probably the offspring of Luke and Mara Jade. Although I don't know if they'll change Mara's name, given that they've basically followed EU just changed the names and a few tweaks, but if they do decide to use Mara then we should analyze this a bit more. Mara was a very competent Force user herself as the Emperor's Hand. The offspring would be seriously powerful from a genetic standpoint. I believe that's why Rey is so freaking powerful, and if she isn't Skywalker than she doesn't have any business being as powerful as she. And I say that if only for one fact that Lucas is quoted on saying that Luke is the most powerful Jedi that is, was, or ever will be. So bearing that in mind, Rey won't be more powerful than Luke, but we can expect a very similar story, just as quickly as Luke learned the Force, so will Rey.

Additionally, if Rey is the offspring of Luke, than by all rights, Kylo and Rey are cousins! Humorous point, I think. To divert once more, Kylo is pretty damn powerful as he is already. Just look at his Telepathy powers, he basically wretches the information from their mind, the fact that Rey resisted is a testament to her power more than anything, but if he develops it more I don't know if even she will be able to resist it. This is where I'll end my bit for now, but as a final note, anyone else really geared up for the inevitable Snoke vs. Luke fight? :)

Name: Duncan Therin | Birthdate: 330.01 ABY | Homeworld: Sembla | Species: Vurk | Languages: Basic, (understands) Binary, Huttese, Semblan | Initiated: 338.14 ABY | Noviced: 341.09 ABY | Apprenticed: 343.02 ABY | Knighted: 354.24 ABY l Mentor: Motoko Isawa, 343.02-347.26 ABY | Padawan(s): Dorian Reyn

Wen-Ordo
Lost One

Post by Wen-Ordo »

Cero Rooi wrote:
Korona Rihera wrote:Interesting the immense contrast between Vader and Kylo.

Vader chooses to spare his son, Kylo murders his father

Vader has immense skill with a Lightsaber, Kylo has not

Vader is still a challenge even when wounded (ravaged in TFU, he's tougher in the dark side ending), Kylo lets his wounds get to him despite his tolerance for pain.

Vader is in control of his emotions, calling on them when necessary, Kylo is almost always pissed off (though they do make for some hilarious scenes in the movie).

There are a number, but comparing Kylo and Vader, Vader is the true threat, Kylo is a mere pretender. He still has much to learn.
Anakin Skywalker was trained by the capacity of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant; of course he'll be more gifted and more disciplined than Kylo Ren.
Very good point there, I would of expected that much from Anakin where Kylo was trained by Luke who's training wasn't really finished to begin with, thus the reason why Luke probably gave up on Ben after him falling to the dark side, too much inconsistency in his own training with Yoda and Obi-Wan let alone take on a student himself.
|Full name:Wen-Ordo | Age: 88 | Initiated: 327.21 ABY|Noviced: 329.03 ABY |
| Apprenticed: 329.04 ABY | Knighted: 340.20 ABY |Mentor: Amalia Feyn|
|Padawans: Voh Phaar, Krask Kabal,Dariun Antane, Aren Kelpor |
| Species: Vurk| Homeworld: Sembla/Tatooine|
Korona Rihera
Lost One

Post by Korona Rihera »

Iffo Rav'i wrote:Whilst I do feel the story is essentially A New Hope mixed with elements of the Empire Strikes Back, it was still really good and loved every moment.

Although, one think I didn't like was, I do think some of the 'throwbacks' felt shoehorned in.. such as the Dejarik board.
Did you catch the "Han shoots first" quip?

"Chewbacca growls"

Han: "I always do that!"
Korona Rihera | Homeworld: Ord Mantell | Species: Miraluka | Age: 18 | Next Birthday: 348.23 | Rank: Initiate | Initiated: 333.16 | Noviced: | Mentor: | Apprenticed: | Pilot License: None
Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

Korona Rihera wrote:
Iffo Rav'i wrote:Whilst I do feel the story is essentially A New Hope mixed with elements of the Empire Strikes Back, it was still really good and loved every moment.

Did you catch the "Han shoots first" quip?

"Chewbacca growls"

Han: "I always do that!"
I think I missed that little bit :o
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Bo Iiln
Lost One

Post by Bo Iiln »

I know it's hard to forget everything we've considered canon, but it wouldn't surprise me if Rey was Kylo's twin. Twins are genetic. It would make sense.

I don't know how'd they explain Kylo and not Rey though.

If it isn't Rey Solo, then Rey Skywalker. The vision scene pretty much shows that she has Skywalker blood.
Species: Kel Dor | Age: 40's | Initiated: 307 ABY |
Knighted: 325 ABY | Mentor: Raloran Mulloc | Padawan: Evanin Dawnstar_Xel Damar_Maia Rimora_Durindfire
Saburine Eldahna
Lost One

Post by Saburine Eldahna »

I'll just say the good, I like about it. Rey :P
"Lying is an attempt to connect our wishes&our fantasies about who we wish we were with what we're really like."

"There's zero correlation between being the best talker in the room&having the best ideas."

U won't find my experiences&life stories on the holonet.
"Biases are the stories we make up about people before we know who they actually are."
Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

I absolutely loved it. I have no complaints, whatsoever. And I don't care what some of you say about him, I think Kylo Ren is an interesting and dynamic character. I would take what they've made him into over some generic 'Oh Im dark and bad' character any day. I have a feeling there's more to him than it seems.

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I agree with Syrena. I thought Kylo was a very well done character. It was interesting to see him being "tempted by the light" as usually as we all know it's the other way around.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Cael Dan’kor
Lost One

Post by Cael Dan’kor »

In Kylo's scene with Han, you can notice that there is both blue and red lighting on his face at the start then his body in its entirety is drowned in red. Shows that he was considering the light but ultimately chose darkness.
Motoko
Lost One

Post by Motoko »

1. I can't stop listening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr4TDhi2PEc

2. OMFG THE VISION SCENE. DAT CORRIDOR. Instant goosebumps. I've only seen it once but I definitely need to go back and see it again.

3. Kylo is so much his grandfather, I love it.

4. I like how the saber scene with Rey was handled. You can see the only thing holding Kylo back is his overconfidence and his injury. She even sticks to the same go-to thrust (Pike maneuver) and repeatedly fails.

5. I loved the nods to the first film, which really let's this one stand completely on it's own. However, Lucasfilm, don't you dare dress up ESB in VIII clothing and expect us to buy it..... okay we'll buy it, BUT THERE WILL BE STRONGLY WORDED POSTS ON FACEBOOK! (I wasn't happy with the treatment ST: Into Darkness got....)

6. Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet? Is the next one here yet?