Neyl Model Request

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Neyl Schin'zar
Lost One

Neyl Model Request

Post by Neyl Schin'zar »

Hey all!

Hope everyone nights/days are doing well! This is an early rp career post but I figured I might as well go ahead and ask. I plan on using a more matured model once I hit about 13-14 if I'm blessed enough to ever be given Padawan status. I found a great model for some singleplayer conversion mod a while back but was disappointed to discover that the (rather dead mod tbh) was using that model exclusively for civilian npcs in the mod and would not release it to anyone at all. I will provide a link to what model I am drooling over at the end. The Selkath models I have seen before and after this one have always gotten the anatomy wrong. The heads are always entirely too large.

I really don't think I need anything traditional unless it is recommended or heavily enforced. I would like two outfits, one that would be my main, scribe-like-Jedi attire for wear around the Praxeum and Training. You know, the Jedi-works. The second, being a simple, practical pilot suit. Something that doubles for a normal strolling outfit, or just something unassuming in general. I would love to have an apparatus on the chest like a Tie-Fighter suit, but that's just me asking for countless more hours of your time at that point that I'm sure you could be using doing other things.

I realize this is a lot to ask, which is why I'm asking now instead of later. So that it's in the air now and you can just nip at it whenever you want. I want it to be plausible when I wear this Model, though, so don't think I will be a 10 year old Kyle walking around just because I want to feel more grown up... likely, I will be using this skin from April onwards, so I assumed if I ask for you to pitch ideas around in ModView and Maya now, it would less of a hassle come the time I actually need it before I'm a 90% scale youngling.

If this is too much to ask for at this time, please let me know and I will wait until we are more queued for this sort of mechanic/desire. I skin, but I don't model. So if you hand me over the models and a basic map for the textures you'll never hear from me again about them. I'll just duplicate models and all that in my free time until I'm satisfied myself. Again, I'm not really all that picky, as long as there's a small bit of care put into the anatomy of it, I can sort out the rest. But I'd really like for the Model to be something like this conversion mod's model.

Actual Model:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-past ... c-revealed

Basic Idea for tunic:
http://orig05.deviantart.net/fab9/f/200 ... igkyle.jpg

Strolling outfit, possibly with apparatus, would be appreciated to have a collar that wraps around:
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2014 ... oncept.png
=Neyl Schin'zar= | Born 335 ABY | Initiated 346 ABY| Initiate of Rannon
Alehk Thol
Lost One

Re: Neyl Model Request

Post by Alehk Thol »

Hey, Neyl!

One point sticks out to me in your message and it's this:
...was using that model exclusively for civilian npcs in the mod and would not release it to anyone at all
I recall NumberWan being clear on the topic over at JKHub:
NumberWan wrote:Selkath is an NPC, created specifically for our mod, and for now is not available for public download.
In this case, I'm not aware of there being a release of the mod for you to rip the model from. If you already have the model, I guess that concern is a moot point. My second concern is acquiring permission. It can be a morally grey area, taking bits and pieces from other sources but the last thing you want is to be potentially hounded later for extracting the model and releasing it around our community. Try asking a member of the team politely for use of the model in a private community, specifying that it will not be used for public redistribution on sites such as JKHub.

Hope this reply helps. :)
Jago Mirax
Lost One

Post by Jago Mirax »

Hi Neyl!

Basically, what Alehk said. :) However...

I'm up for taking this on and seeing what I can come up with for you. I know the third reference you provided resembles the KOTOR Selkath model which I already have a copy of for JKA. So, that's essentially half of what you're requesting already done.

It's best if we talk about this over Skype so feel free to add me bud!

| Birthdate: 322.21 ABY | Age: 61 |

Neyl Schin'zar
Lost One

Post by Neyl Schin'zar »

Hey guys,

I'm unfortunately aware that ripping the model would not be possible more than likely, but at best, I want to look into recreating that model, with like a satchel or something. I'm sure you'd need more references to go on but until that mod comes out, (a mod that has been in development since 2011) I can't get more reference photos for you...

Also Jago, I appreciate the idea of using the KOTOR model Selkath but that head is enormous. It really is far too large. If we can find/make a better head for it, the body's mesh would work fine. But I wouldn't be able to get over that head. it's 3 times larger than it should be. :/

I will consider asking the creator of the mod for private permission for the skin, however I do think that would be moot as once it leaks from the Robe Repository Database it'll just slide into the hands of other clans and whatnot. Private permission doesn't apply in this world unless there's some sort of decryption on rpmod that I'm not aware of where that skin only works on our servers. :P

Anyways, thanks for your help so far. I will check back with you all once I ask the creator for Dark Pasttime about permissions for the mod.
Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

Just because it CAN be distributed around doesn't mean it SHOULD. If they've specifically stated they don't want their work used elsewhere, we would have to uphold that, even if other communities aren't. It would be hypocritical not to, as we've had our own issues with other people stealing work from our community.

As for the huge head on the public Selkath model: It doesn't have to be huge. While most frankenstein jobs are a simple mix and match, pieces can be edited for size, and to a degree, shape. If you feel the head is to large, it can be shrunk and the neck fixed up to match whatever you're attaching it to.

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Jago Mirax
Lost One

Post by Jago Mirax »

Syrena Exan wrote: As for the huge head on the public Selkath model: It doesn't have to be huge. While most frankenstein jobs are a simple mix and match, pieces can be edited for size, and to a degree, shape. If you feel the head is to large, it can be shrunk and the neck fixed up to match whatever you're attaching it to.
Exactly. The head can be scaled down to represent a more accurate version of the cannon species, or more inline with your personal preference.

I'm afraid creating an entirely new model is out of my ability, although I could do it, the quality of the model wouldn't be satisfying for myself or the recipient. Hence why I currently stick to what's known as frankensteining.

You'd be hard pushed to find someone who will create a completely new model for you because as far as I know, there are only 3-5 active modellers left in the community. If you are able to get permission for the model in the mod then that would be perfect, but I wouldn't hold out on it.

Anyway, my services are on offer if you want/need them :)

Neyl Schin'zar
Lost One

Post by Neyl Schin'zar »

You guys are right, definitely. Although my replies have not been verbose/textual enough to articulate my understanding of these issues, I am aware of them. Push comes to shove, Frankenstiening a model will work just fine. I suppose I am just wishfully thinking at this point in time? Thank you for the help. I will contact you more once a more clear idea has formulated for me as to how we can duct tape together a model that works.
Jago Mirax
Lost One

Post by Jago Mirax »

Have you seen this by the way?

http://jkhub.org/files/file/703-jkb-selkath/

Apologies if you've found it already, but this one isn't ported and the general anatomy is more accurate in regards to what you're looking for.

It would be a good start.

EDIT: I would recommend checking it out in ModView to get a better idea or in-game as the pictures don't really do it justice.
Neyl wrote:I will contact you more once a more clear idea has formulated for me as to how we can duct tape together a model that works.
I tell you what, because I'm feeling rather generous at the moment I'll whip you something up because I've already got an idea in my head that I think you'll be pretty pleased with.

I spent years perfecting the model for my former character because there was nothing about that gave an accurate representation of a Shistavanen. I know exactly how you're feeling and I understand the need to have a model that immerses you further into your character and his/her role play.

When I've got something I'll send you a screenshot and you can tell me all that is wrong with it ;)

Neyl Schin'zar
Lost One

Post by Neyl Schin'zar »

Jago Mirax wrote:I tell you what, because I'm feeling rather generous at the moment I'll whip you something up because I've already got an idea in my head that I think you'll be pretty pleased with.
Well geez, man. That would be swell... The only gripe I have with that model is that his head is insanely large. In my opinion, it is like 2x too big...

Thank you, by the way. Very cool of you.