Skype as Global Branch Communication Center

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Rhuacca
Lost One

Skype as Global Branch Communication Center

Post by Rhuacca »

Hey Guys,

so recently I wrote with Mizelia via Skype and roleplayed a little chat conversation via the archival terminals. A really cool alternative for the people who are too busy coming online and such so, I was thinking about maybe establishing a Skype Group Conversation where we could communicate IRPly with the whole Jedi Temple. There would be a global server where everyone could write down something.

Of course, the Council could arrange some rules determining who is allowed to write something in the chat and who's not. It would be like ICQ or Messenger but only IRP.

How does that sound?
Name: Rhuacca
Birthday: 340.03 ABY
Initiation: 351.13 ABY
Apprenticed: 352.11 ABY, 372.17 ABY
Knighted: 381.24
Last seen 430.?? - 434.??
Languages: Shyriiwook, Xaczik and Basic (Understands) Thykarann and Huttese
Former Rank: Jedi Knight
Mentor(s): Jao Ryn, Zechs Demming
Padawan(s):Aranna Vaan, Serbithar Muunen, Minoda Darkrider

Dariun Antane
Lost One

Re: Skype as Global Branch Communication Center

Post by Dariun Antane »

I like!
Name: Dariun Antane
Date of Birth: 341.09 ABY
Next Birthday: 383.09 ABY
Apprenticed: 354.22
Mentor: Wen-Ordo
Pilot License: JFRb
Departed: 382.11
Zevaros Sazen
Lost One

Post by Zevaros Sazen »

Just as an alternative, there could be a Discord set up for IC communications.

You could have tons of things set up there, servers for different parts of the Temple (Archives, Sages, Guards, Artisans) and have ranks set up so -only- people with the proper rank can access that area.

There could also be a temple-wide sever type thing for everyone to talk on, including the "visitors" to the temple that stop by now and then.

Aces/Guards could have a channel that's set up to represent messages coming in about future arrivals of important people.

Sages could have their channel having "chatter" From other temples talking about their researches and discoveries, same with the Archives.

The council could have their own hidden area to ICly chat, Knights could have their own which the Council could have access to. Padawans could have their own, which the Council and Knights can access as well, and then the Initiate level one is basically the "public server".
Name: Zevaros Sazen // Race: Echani // Homeworld: Eshan // Born: 346.27 // Initiated: 355.06 // Padawan: 356.13 ABY // Master: Kadvarr Tirladdik
Duncan Therin
Lost One

Post by Duncan Therin »

I was going to wait until this picked up more tread; in other words, not respond on the first day. That said, I figured I'd comment before I went off to go to the glorious slumbering world that is my bed.

The concept isn't necessarily a bad one, although I will say that I can't fully endorse is personally. I've had conversations with people via Skype for short rp oriented reasons - I've never personally found it tasteful, although I understand the need of it sometimes. As an example: Zak rp'd a 'notification on my datapad' via Skype when he knew he was going to be late for one of my classes. I can appreciate the short term and snippets, but I personally wouldn't be interested in it.

That said, I'm sure others, as evidenced above, can find it useful - that's good. Onto the actual meat of the subject though. I don't believe that a universal Skype chat nor a Discord chat (especially not Discord) should be set up. I believe we all remember how the original Discord chat went - it simply doesn't work for one reason or another, it's usually the mesh of personalities in one space. Even if it's not meant to be OOC, there are the options of voice channels. Maybe someone decides to host an event and go in there - attracts more and more attention. Essentially, a Discord chat would be poor because whilst it may have desirable and virtuous intent, it would ultimately succumb to what the original Discord chat came to, which I'm sure most of us remember rather vividly.

Moving on; Skype is a bit more tolerable perhaps - but not in large groups. I highly advise against a large Skype chat. A.) You would constantly be adding members in, as well as removing for that matter. B.) Which is actually more important, it could suffer from the same abuse that I outlined above - sure, it's Skype and you'd have to call the whole group, but the other side effects are still there. Still susceptible to the poor outcomes which we're avoiding.

I believe that a cross is the best way to go - I don't believe that giant announcements are necessary, that's what the comport is for, better yet, the server. Though perhaps a small inkling in the back of my head, I have the hunching suspicion that having a Skype/Discord chat would actually demotivate the rp coming to the server, instead people would be more content with just doing their rp from there, which, quite frankly, isn't a replacement. Not to mention bringing OOC onto the server which, again, not a good thing. Then you have the fact that likely not everyone would actually want to be in said chats which would injure the actual purpose of having a 'global' chat that can broadcast announcements.

My proposal is this: small rps can stay confined to individual chat, or perhaps a small group as Rhuacca has illustrated with the example of him and Mizelia. Otherwise, there is no need for such a large group. That said, Zev touches on a nice point - whilst I don't believe Discord is the way to go, I remember that Dithaal made a group chat for the Wardens when they were active. The group would get notifications if he was about to do something or he had plans for a certain date, making sure everyone in the department could be involved. That was rather beneficial and helpful, it was an OOC chat, but that doesn't mean it can't serve a purpose.

Bearing that in mind, small little chats (so long as the respective HoDs desire said chat for their department) for each HoD wouldn't necessarily be a detriment, I could, in fact, see the positives from having them. Whether they be IC or OOC would be at the discretion of the HoD. As for other group chats, like I said in the start, I hardly believe that it would stay IC, it would simply devolve into a cesspool of memes. We have enough forms of OOC contact, why bother to add more?

tl;dr, I usually wind up giving a speech. As a synopsis: Discord chat, absolutely not, no. Skype chat, possibly, but not global chat - not everyone may want to be included which defeats the original purpose, in addition to the fact that certain groups already have other means of communication; the Council chat for instance. In any event, my opinion isn't anymore valid than any other person's here. This is my perspective, feel free to criticize, agree, challenge, qualify, or otherwise dispute it. I believe that certain aspects of the proposed idea could be taken well enough, but universal groups are a shamble of an idea with little heeding to easily predictable consequences.

Name: Duncan Therin | Birthdate: 330.01 ABY | Homeworld: Sembla | Species: Vurk | Languages: Basic, (understands) Binary, Huttese, Semblan | Initiated: 338.14 ABY | Noviced: 341.09 ABY | Apprenticed: 343.02 ABY | Knighted: 354.24 ABY l Mentor: Motoko Isawa, 343.02-347.26 ABY | Padawan(s): Dorian Reyn

Trin Oniron
Lost One

Post by Trin Oniron »

I mostly agree with Duncan, even if I don't see why Discord is worst than Skype (I didn't lived the discord era :lol: ).

An alternative could be to implement a chatbox in the comport, it's not the most difficult thing to do and I think it could have a more RP feel than a messenger thanks to the customisations we could had to it.
It would also keep the RP where it should be, in the comport or server, and under the council gaze.

◄▌Name : Trin OnironAge : 42Birthdate : 345.19▐►
◄▌Homeplanet : NagiInitiated : 357.21Apprenticed : 358.22▐►
◄▌Mentor : Rehkea'sitra, Isane Fenris, Jerex Sol▐►◄▌Padawan : Kir Darnic▐►

Zechs Demming
Lost One

Post by Zechs Demming »

Trin Oniron wrote: It would also keep the RP where it should be, in the comport or server, and under the council gaze.
Not to sound authoritarian or like we are always watching, but this is the main reason things like this suggestion have never been implemented in the past. JEDI has and always will be a JKA RP clan. Our medium is the server first, and the forums second. Having an open chat would just create too much confusion. If people are RPing in it and then others aren't, it's just too much to monitor and mesh together. It's why JEDI has never made joint canons with other RP clans, it's too much to monitor and make work together.

While we would never deny people the ability to roleplay together in other mediums (like your example between two people); having a a global chat for IC outside of the server is just too complicated to make work with JKA as well.
ace.commander|birth_321ABY|height_1.9m|weight_104.3kg|homeworld_concord.dawn|mentor_mira.dreiz|apprentice_zakarie.di'vosk_rhuacca