Modelling/Skinning assistance (global topic)

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Trin Oniron
Lost One

Modelling/Skinning assistance (global topic)

Post by Trin Oniron »

Hello everyone, I'm planning to update my model/skin on my own and I have several questions.

Since I haven't found any thread related to modelling (not personnal requests) I think it could be a good idea to have a global topic to share tips, newbies questions etc.

Time for questions, so I'm using blender to modify the current model I'm using.
When I import a model I get those white things all over the model (see picture)
I'm wondering what is their purpose ? Can I delete them and export my model without having further issues when in jedi academy ?

Second question is, I've heard that jedi academy doesn't allow more than 100 vertices per faces (if I remember right). Is this limitations stille active in rpmod ? Is there other limitations that I should be aware of ?

And last one : Why do I have this big face far from my model (see picture)? Same as above, what's the matter with it ? Can I model my character without it ?

Thanks to the masters modeler's help. :P

◄▌Name : Trin OnironAge : 42Birthdate : 345.19▐►
◄▌Homeplanet : NagiInitiated : 357.21Apprenticed : 358.22▐►
◄▌Mentor : Rehkea'sitra, Isane Fenris, Jerex Sol▐►◄▌Padawan : Kir Darnic▐►

Zevaros Sazen
Lost One

Re: Modelling/Skinning assistance (global topic)

Post by Zevaros Sazen »

I think those marks on the model are tags used by JKJA to indicate what part of the body that area is. Or maybe it just a part of the skeleton system.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't mess with them since every model seems to have some version of them from what I've seen.

As for the big ass head above your model, it's what happens when something isn't properly parented. If it's not actually a part of your model it's safe to delete it, but if it is a part of your model you can easily attach the head to the correct spot by parenting it to torso_0.
Name: Zevaros Sazen // Race: Echani // Homeworld: Eshan // Born: 346.27 // Initiated: 355.06 // Padawan: 356.13 ABY // Master: Kadvarr Tirladdik
Jikiiti

Post by Jikiiti »

When I first started modelling, I found it quite difficult. Thankfully, I knew of a man, whom now is known as "Maui". He taught me several things. He now has a tutorial on JKHub, which I think you could find most helpful! :D

https://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/195 ... modelling/
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu22 ... q7vsly.png

^ I have no clue how that is working.
Trin Oniron
Lost One

Post by Trin Oniron »

Thanks a lot for the help. Those vids are quite useful but now I have another "issue".
I've managed to clean my model of all the extra objects not needed and to edit it properly without errors in Modview.

Problem is the hair are a bit too long now and go through the body during some animations. Is there a way to make them move accordingly to the rest of the body ?

Trin Oniron
Lost One

Post by Trin Oniron »

I found out what was wrong. I just had to manually add the torso vertex group to the hair weight. Then with the proper painting they now move accordingly to it.

I haven't thought weighting was working with multiple links but more as a global thing.

Trin Oniron
Lost One

Post by Trin Oniron »

For those who might be interested in messing around with the base rgb textures, here is the way to make the missing parts appear (thanks to the people on discord for the help) :

On photoshop CS5 and above in the layer menu add layer mask > Transfer layer's alpha channel > delete the mask and you'll have a 'normal' texture.

On Gimp the process is quite the same : creating a layer mask for the alpha channel and removing it after.

A third solution is to use this kind of website https://www.convertmyimage.com/png-to-jpg/ to convert the png files.

Atrya Vyken
Lost One

Post by Atrya Vyken »

Trin Oniron wrote:I found out what was wrong. I just had to manually add the torso vertex group to the hair weight. Then with the proper painting they now move accordingly to it.

I haven't thought weighting was working with multiple links but more as a global thing.
I wonder if doing that could fix my issue with the lethorns's/horny bits on my model. They kind of extend out a bit to far and have a very irritating clip issue when I turn my head the slightest... lol
Trin Oniron
Lost One

Post by Trin Oniron »

Yes, I think you have the same issue.

Isane Fenris
Lost One

Post by Isane Fenris »

Hello!

I need some help with reskinning a face skin & reskinning hair (making it silver white). It shouldn't take a crazy amount of time, but its beyond my skillset and I don't have time to learn. lol.

Would appreciate the help anyone can offer!

Image|age_52|height_1.65|species_dathomirian|mentor_motoko.isawa/aslyn.denethorn/simus.cnydaria|padawan_trin.oniron/vania.starr|

Jikiiti

Post by Jikiiti »

If you'd like, I still do some work from time to time, Isane.

If you PM me over Discord or ask Delmi about my contact information he can pass it down to you :D
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu22 ... q7vsly.png

^ I have no clue how that is working.
Rothel Janoo
Lost One

Post by Rothel Janoo »

Hi. I seem to be having a bit of trouble, and I don't really know what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to use Blender, and it's working... to a point. Whenever I try to import my model to work on it, All I get is what I can only assume to be the skeleton. I've installed the addons correctly, I've set the base path, and the skin I want it to use, but it just won't load the model. Anyone else have experiences like this and/or can help me out?

Edit: BTW, if this is the wrong topic to post this on, I apologize. I just saw the title of the topic and went with it.
Vania Starr
Lost One

Post by Vania Starr »

you need to have the model.glm selected and then in the window to the left in blender there's a box which says default. Change that to whatever skin in your model you want to use
Species: Human | Age: 25 | Mentor: Isane Fenris
Trin Oniron
Lost One

Post by Trin Oniron »

Blender should tell you what's wrong when you import the model. Check the top right text field, that's where the error should display. What model are you trying to import ? If it's one with a player menu, take a look at the folder to see if a model_default.skin exist.

Rothel Janoo
Lost One

Post by Rothel Janoo »

If by player menu, you mean the section of the character setup screen with customizable player models, then no I don't use that. I load my characters by code, and to answer Vania, that's exactly what I've been doing, but I get the error could not open skin. In the skin path box on the left, am I supposed to just type in the name of the skin file, like "model_(skin).skin", or do I have to include the whole path, such as "C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\(blah blah blah)\model_(skin).skin"

P.S. : Sorry I sound like an idiot who doesn't know how to use computers, I really do, but I used to use MilkShape 3D to edit my models, until it stopped working on my PC.

EDIT: Scratch that question on the skin path. I just tried, and they both gave me the same could not open skin error. Do you guys have any other suggestions for me to try out?
Trin Oniron
Lost One

Post by Trin Oniron »

You don't need to put model_something in the text field just what's after the model_