Adjust the day cycle time.

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Aqua Sol
Lost One

Adjust the day cycle time.

Post by Aqua Sol »

Currently as it is, the sun starts setting at about 4PM EST... Which is pretty early? I feel like a lot of people end up only ever seeing the map in the evening or at night since we get the "Night" shift at about 6PM EST. I want to recommend shifting the "evening" time to 5-6PM EST and the "night" time to around 8PM EST if possible. It just feels like the temple gets dark and stays dark during a time when most NA people start hopping on.

Xintr Wolfe
Lost One

Re: Adjust the day cycle time.

Post by Xintr Wolfe »

I thought the idea was that the day/night times rotated to prevent this problem and the opposite problem that EU players only ever see the day. Maybe the solution is to make the variance larger so both current times and Aqua's suggestions fall inside the variable cycle?
\\ Name: Xintr Wolfe || Born: 383 || Arrived: 389.30 || Initiated: 390.10 //
..\\ Apprenticed: 391.25 || Mentor: Narael Undine || Knighted: 406.27 //
....\\ Padawan: Zyli Hiden //
......\\ Artisan: Master Artisan || Aces: Flight Leader || Diplomacy: Envoy //
........\\ Skin: Skin //
Iffo Rav'i
Lost One

Post by Iffo Rav'i »

Currently the two peaks are (each lasting 4 days)..

'Winter' - Usually the end/start of the month
Sunrise: 8:03am
Nightfall: 3:55pm

'Summer' - Usually the middle of the month
Sunrise: 4:44am
Nightfall: 9:50pm

Inbetween the peaks the times incrementally expand/shrink on a daily basis by about 20 mins or so.

If other times may work or want to be suggested, if you put them in the terms of the two peaks above e.g shortest day and longest day, it'll help work out how we meet them.

Jedi Master | High Councillor | Advisor to the Galactic Senate
Born: 333.06 | Initiated: 342.08 | Knighted: 357.07 | Mastered: 388.18 | Died: 435.29
Mentors: Wrennin Vae // Chothi Uxaala // Maia Rimora | Padawan: Serir Vun // Tycho Varga

Joar Hasmal
Lost One

Post by Joar Hasmal »

Iffo Rav'i wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:17 pm Currently the two peaks are (each lasting 4 days)..

'Winter' - Usually the end/start of the month
Sunrise: 8:03am
Nightfall: 3:55pm

'Summer' - Usually the middle of the month
Sunrise: 4:44am
Nightfall: 9:50pm

Inbetween the peaks the times incrementally expand/shrink on a daily basis by about 20 mins or so.

If other times may work or want to be suggested, if you put them in the terms of the two peaks above e.g shortest day and longest day, it'll help work out how we meet them.
What if we shift the peaks so that the sun rises around when most people first log on (i.e. somewhere around 3-6 pm GMT) and have the sun set around when most people log off (9 pm-12 am GMT).
| Born: 379.?? | Initiated: 385.25 | Apprenticed to Master Fenn Rahm: 388.22 |
Iffo Rav'i
Lost One

Post by Iffo Rav'i »

Joar Hasmal wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:57 pm
What if we shift the peaks so that the sun rises around when most people first log on (i.e. somewhere around 3-6 pm GMT) and have the sun set around when most people log off (9 pm-12 am GMT).
It's about balancing realistic IC times I think. The sunrise on those times is potentially looking as late as 2pm GST.

I don't think a change is needed. It's night now but in two weeks time if you log in at 4pm GST you've got 3.5 more hours till the sun starts to set and another 2.5 till its night. Which is pretty much the suggested times Aqua is suggesting if I'm not mistaken?

The peak sunrise/sunset times were picked from the Central European day/night cycle. In a couple of weeks it will be dark here by 4:30pm. We could potentially switch to another cycle (e.g American or perhaps one which is suited to Rannon?) where the days may be longer all year round, but then EUs run the risk of rarely seeing night time on the server. EU was picked because its extreme enough in Winter/Summer to offer the most variation for players across the month

Any potential change would need to assessed for effort vs reward because since the service we use to power server events went premium, the server command calendars are a hot mess to amend and update.

For those interested - here are the initial workings of the sunrise/day/twilight/sunset cycle (open in new tab for ease to read) and roughly what it is currently (give or take 10 minutes either side).

Jedi Master | High Councillor | Advisor to the Galactic Senate
Born: 333.06 | Initiated: 342.08 | Knighted: 357.07 | Mastered: 388.18 | Died: 435.29
Mentors: Wrennin Vae // Chothi Uxaala // Maia Rimora | Padawan: Serir Vun // Tycho Varga