/rpanim

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Kiara O'ren
Jedi Master | High Councilor

/rpanim

Post by Kiara O'ren »

Hello,

I was thinking about it while coming up with a class idea, but wouldn't it be cool if you could use RPmod to force an npc or player to assume any animation in the game, at least until they moved again?

/rpanim (targetname) (animation name) (maybe animation frame you want to freeze it on?)

ex.

/rpanim civilian BOTH_T4_TR_BR
___________|- Name: Kiara O'ren | Born: 372ABY | Image
|- Initiation: 382.27 ABY -|- Apprenticed: 386.01 ABY -|- Knighted: 397.25 -|- Padawans: Eli Tzineda, Donan Healof, Tarsi Morga -|
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Re: /rpanim

Post by Delmi N'jork »

You can do this with NPCs. If you do /npc emote [emote] [target], it'll go to that animation until you move it or kill it, obviously. Though, this is limited to certain animations and you can't "freeze" them at a certain point sadly.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Kiara O'ren
Jedi Master | High Councilor

Post by Kiara O'ren »

More interested in doing it to players
___________|- Name: Kiara O'ren | Born: 372ABY | Image
|- Initiation: 382.27 ABY -|- Apprenticed: 386.01 ABY -|- Knighted: 397.25 -|- Padawans: Eli Tzineda, Donan Healof, Tarsi Morga -|
Sirius Invictus
Lost One

Post by Sirius Invictus »

JEDI is founded based on several things, among them, one of the most important, is goodwill and free will.

What I mean by that is, a /tell message telling the player what animation to do (a process which can be automated via admin methods during a mission so as to not take away time from the director) would be way more appropriate as it would also give the capacity to the player to reply in turn with a /tell of their as to why they would not need/want to comply with the Director's request.

As a rough example, if a person has spent ages of training in trying to resist the effects of being pushed away with the Force (and has adequately displayed training on the ability as well as the ability itself during Temple and/or Galaxy RP), and the Director asked them to tumble backwards and finally fall prone; it is well within their right to explain to the Director what the case is for their character and why they might believe it is actually more logical to not fall. Which, in turn, in case the Director insists that "Despite your training, you do indeed fall backwards", might indicate a ton of things among which:

- What the player experiences might be illusionary or otherwise 'fake'
- The effect that they are trying to withstand is -indeed- that much more powerful than their aforementioned specialization.

Last but not least, I will just mention that Directors have many a time made assumptions and sometimes they were false. It s better to delay this particular process by a second or two than having to retcon it or work around it.

Just my 2 cents on this thought.
|| Name: Sirius Invictus || Species: Human || Homeworld: Vlemoth Port || Birth: 360.09 ABY || Initiation: 372.10 ABY || || Apprenticed: 373.09 ABY || Knighted: 384.30 ABY || Mastered: 410.13 ABY || Mentor: Delmi N'jork || Apprentices: Kiara O'ren, Rukia, Vale Sutherblaze ||
Minoda Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Minoda Darkrider »

A nice addition might be the ability to trigger botroutes. A good example would be:

My character fell out one of the trees at the front of the temple when playing hide and seek, resulting in a sprained ankle. This involved multiple trips to the medbay to initially have it seen to, be rebandaged and fetch ice packs. The droid (A-48) was over by the beds. It would have been a nice addition to the RP to trigger a bot route so when he’s fetching the ice pack, he can walk over to the back room store and fetch it. Save the player emoting it out.

That’s quite an isolated example, maybe others know of other examples where this could work nicely.
SPECIES: Kiffar
HOMEWORLD: Kiffex
INITIATED: 404.17 ABY
APPRENTICED: 405.08 ABY
MENTOR: Serbithar Muunen, Rhuacca
PADAWANS: Ilya Gampassa, Rhys Cardin
DEPARTMENT ROLES: Diplomat, General Technician, Sage
LANGUAGES: Basic, Kiffu, Huttese
Sirius Invictus
Lost One

Post by Sirius Invictus »

That d be an entirely different suggestion to the '/rpanim' one.

Beyond that, there are ''bot routes'' in a sense, but a command would need to be triggered (at the very least, the player to talk to the droid and select the option 'fetch me X or Y').

It requires so much tinkering though that ultimately it would be just more efficient to ::RP out what the droid would do::. Or in some cases it would be a nice stimulant for an observing admin to hop in the figurative droid shoes and act it out.
|| Name: Sirius Invictus || Species: Human || Homeworld: Vlemoth Port || Birth: 360.09 ABY || Initiation: 372.10 ABY || || Apprenticed: 373.09 ABY || Knighted: 384.30 ABY || Mastered: 410.13 ABY || Mentor: Delmi N'jork || Apprentices: Kiara O'ren, Rukia, Vale Sutherblaze ||
Minoda Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Minoda Darkrider »

I wasn’t aware admins could take control of NPC’s. That sounds like it fits the description if necessary. I suppose there would be more detail in emoting out the droids movements and actions anyway and the development effort might be too much for such a small return, makes sense.

My suggestion was more in relation to creative control over NPCs not just in animation but in movement too. Seems like both of these things are covered though :D
SPECIES: Kiffar
HOMEWORLD: Kiffex
INITIATED: 404.17 ABY
APPRENTICED: 405.08 ABY
MENTOR: Serbithar Muunen, Rhuacca
PADAWANS: Ilya Gampassa, Rhys Cardin
DEPARTMENT ROLES: Diplomat, General Technician, Sage
LANGUAGES: Basic, Kiffu, Huttese
Serir Vun
Lost One

Post by Serir Vun »

Sirius Invictus wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:57 am JEDI is founded based on several things, among them, one of the most important, is goodwill and free will.

What I mean by that is, a /tell message telling the player what animation to do (a process which can be automated via admin methods during a mission so as to not take away time from the director) would be way more appropriate as it would also give the capacity to the player to reply in turn with a /tell of their as to why they would not need/want to comply with the Director's request.

As a rough example, if a person has spent ages of training in trying to resist the effects of being pushed away with the Force (and has adequately displayed training on the ability as well as the ability itself during Temple and/or Galaxy RP), and the Director asked them to tumble backwards and finally fall prone; it is well within their right to explain to the Director what the case is for their character and why they might believe it is actually more logical to not fall. Which, in turn, in case the Director insists that "Despite your training, you do indeed fall backwards", might indicate a ton of things among which:

- What the player experiences might be illusionary or otherwise 'fake'
- The effect that they are trying to withstand is -indeed- that much more powerful than their aforementioned specialization.

Last but not least, I will just mention that Directors have many a time made assumptions and sometimes they were false. It s better to delay this particular process by a second or two than having to retcon it or work around it.

Just my 2 cents on this thought.

To be completely fair I totally get where you're coming from on that. When we develop our characters we expect to be able to utilize the skills we've cultivated over the years to come to reap satisfying and earned success in the field.

I think and feel strongly that it is the obligation, the absolute duty even of a mission director to be informed of these strengths in advance, and though some things fall through the cracks I'd generally expect a director to be reasonably aware that a character has a potential to succeed or fail a challenge before even presenting it to them.

You also raised a great point that many directors in the past have made faulty assumptions, and it is worth acknowledging that.

However, I think these are not necessarily reasons against such a mechanic. These are things to be aware of when using such a mechanic. This is my own personal opinion, but I really truly believe that any tool to further increase immersion is fantastic. Just to give a specific example, there are several instances in the Void arc that such a tool would have been quite useful. Ultimately any tool or admin command, or even RP emote we use is subject to our judgement on how others can interact with it. Therefore I feel that it would be a poor excuse to stop something that could be so innovative in RP.

But again I totally and completely understand your points there. I believe we are on the same page in the end, we just have slightly different ways we accomplish things on that front. My attitude is very much that we should make sure these tools are used responsibly, as opposed to not using them at all because they may be improperly used.
⌠ Name: Serir Vun • Species: Duros • Master: Joran Fayara | Iffo Rav'i • Knighted: 410.26 • Birth: 374.14 ABY ⌡