Login-Mod

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Login-Mod

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

I read in the information that there will be a login system used for character data. Before logging in, one will not have any Force powers, or a lightsaber, only fists, I'm guessing.

I don't know the extent of this, but as for the data that is used for the login, will it be different for each member of JEDI, or will there be a set standard for all groups (Initiates, Knights, Masters). If it will be different for each user, a few suggestions:
  • If the player has their own lightsaber hilt(s), have the login grant them automatically those hilts. They could still use other hilts, but the default would be their personal hilts.
  • The logins will keep track of each members Force Power Template, and will automatically be granted to that player once logged in. This would disallow "breaking template", as well as clearing up any confusion that may be had about such things.

I read in the information that the logins will allow for XP-grants, towards points. Does this mean that we will be able to adjust players' Force Templates in-game. A command like "/grant (player) (number of points) (which ability)" i.e. "/grant kishon 3 seeing". If that's how it is going to work, then *gets on his knees and thanks*. If not, explain a bit? It sounds really cool.
  • Have a function that allows members with "admin" abilities to view other players' login stats, such as Force templates, experience points, as well as their current status in game (hp, shields).
  • Have Force Power Blocks for certain ranks, such as an initiate can't have force lvl. 3+ force powers until they become a Padawan/Learner. And noone can have Dark Side powers until they become a Master.
That's all I can think of for now. I am really impressed after reading the information as posted by Master Keigoku. I had a vague idea about some things, but didn't know that it went to this extent. Great job!

EDIT:: Also, for the login, have the modelscale set for that player's model, and allow (probably only by admin) for the adjustment of model scales without having to edit the .cfg like it is currently in ja+.
Axem Keigoku
Exiled

Post by Axem Keigoku »

Force powers and such is more of my thing than Soh, or atleast, for the planning.

We will no longer use a Per-power progession, but instead, by levels.

The logins will keep track of each members Force Power Template, and will automatically be granted to that player once logged in. This would disallow "breaking template", as well as clearing up any confusion that may be had about such things.

It is actually the case, and no need for Respawn for new powers to take effect.

A command like "/grant (player) (number of points) (which ability)" i.e. "/grant kishon 3 seeing". If that's how it is going to work, then *gets on his knees and thanks*. If not, explain a bit? It sounds really cool.

The level up system will be generalised, so intead of gaining Force levels, you'll gain powers per level. Ex : Level 1 Student will have Jump, Push, Pull and Offence 1, and at level 2, s/he'll gain Absorb, Seeing and one or two powers.

We will use RPGiveXp <account> <ammount>. THese will be writen down in the logs to prevent abuse, and you will not be able to give Xp to people of the same Rank or higher (i.e, Knights can't give Knights or self).

And noone can have Dark Side powers until they become a Master.

Actually, to our theory, there is no Dark Side or Light side powers. The Force is neutral in its primary form. The user is Dark or LIght, not his powers. Thus, 'Dark Side' powers, according to the game, will be learn throughout Padawanhood (with a Master), but many of the Powers will change, such as Grip will no longer do damage, LIghtning will cost much more FP to avoid spamming, Drain will slow the target instead of healing the caster.
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

ah, I understand now. Well, this sounds great, and I can't wait until it gets released!
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

I don't know the extent of this, but as for the data that is used for the login, will it be different for each member of JEDI, or will there be a set standard for all groups (Initiates, Knights, Masters).

The login system uses 1 account for each member (you will have an username and password), which holds the amount of XP, the Level, Rank, Admin Rank. These are personal for each member, but the Force powers are bound to the Level (which is itself bound to the amount of XP). Depending on your level, you'll have a specific set of Force powers.

If the player has their own lightsaber hilt(s), have the login grant them automatically those hilts. They could still use other hilts, but the default would be their personal hilts.

Good idea...

Have a function that allows members with "admin" abilities to view other players' login stats, such as Force templates, experience points, as well as their current status in game (hp, shields)

This is already planned, but I'm not sure about the need to show HP and Shields ...
Basus Ororchi

Post by Basus Ororchi »

Soh Raun wrote:The login system uses 1 account for each member (you will have an username and password), which holds the amount of XP, the Level, Rank, Admin Rank. These are personal for each member, but the Force powers are bound to the Level (which is itself bound to the amount of XP). Depending on your level, you'll have a specific set of Force powers.

I am not sure about everyone having the same force powers if in the same level. I know moderately much about SW, and I can assure that no jedi had the same force powers as another one.

My idea is that, if possible, the person should gain the force power according to what they do and how they behave. To make myslef a bit more clear, here is an example:

Let's say Basus is a jedi knight with no force powers. He, however, decided to practice more about them, and started meditating. Basus can't get any force power by meditating, unless he has meditated enough to achieve the force power "control mind" (I know that power isn't in the list. But when talking about an RPG, one should know the jedi has RP force powers). The important here to analyze is that the power was gotten because he did something related to the power.

Now, Basus decided to try to reach high places or tall buildings. If he has focused his mind in reaching those places, a new level of Force jump is being given. The practice needed for a force power to be achieved could be equal to a specific number of tries/attempts/whatever by the number the force power usually costs in points.

The RPG powers could be ones like:

>For the younglings/higher (these powers could improve according to the levels):

- "Control mind" (already explained)

- "Control pain" (for people that do much spars)

- "Remain Conscious" (useful to explain why did you "die" if the enemy "accidentally" kills you, you just say you used this power and kept alive)

>For the jedi knights/higher:

-"Affect mind" (This is one of the favorites for people, used by Obi-wan in the movies. Application here, to make a "guest" do what you want.)

-"Revitalize" (for helping someone's liveliness)

-"precognition" (for improving the 5 senses' capacities)

>For Jedi masters/higher: *None thought hehe*

Also you could put some force powers that use force points and make damage, but not listed on the main force powers page. Thses could be personal. Ideas: {Younglings: [force camouflage (as the name says, you should be still for it to work)]} {everything else: [Force scream (I love that force power)], Force armor (no damage from guns nor lightsaber, but uses too much force to work)}

Well, all I have put here are just ideas for Force power managing. You can change anything you want from it, of course. And remember it is an idea.

Basus

"Things are like that!! Accept them!" -- Aros Jakari
Axem Keigoku
Exiled

Post by Axem Keigoku »

Mm-hmm, I understand where you come from Basus,

Sadly though, that would mean re-doing ALL the powers, instead of simply modifying some/changing effects from one to another.

And while I agree with you that no two Jedi had the same abilities, it will be so even if two players have the same Power level. We are more keen to certain situations.

I currently use Pull 3 in my template, like probably any Knight+. Though, I know I'm better than Gabe or some others at pulling things toward me or others. But that shouldn't be, right? Cause we have the same level in Pull... What I'm getting at is that even if the game allows you certain effects of power, it doesn't mean you'll be good/efficient at using these effects.

Using a power is much more complicated than pressing one key. YOu have to think if it's the best time and place to use that power.
Spera Elusido
Lost One

Post by Spera Elusido »

I really like Gabes pitch on lightsaber hilts. Would be an ace little addition.

With the misuse of giveXP....say a Knight or Master accidently gave too much (I am the master of typos and miscomms, so lets face it....it's likely to happen sometime down the line!), is there a takeXP type command for Masters to use? It's easy enough to accidently add an extra number, and I assume theres counter-measures planned?

One other thing..

Say the server crashed or whatnot...restarted itself...nothing would be lost, right? As in, since it's server-side, how prone is it to being reset? That would really mean alot of work, if that ever happened.
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

Spera Elusido wrote:With the misuse of giveXP....say a Knight or Master accidently gave too much (I am the master of typos and miscomms, so lets face it....it's likely to happen sometime down the line!), is there a takeXP type command for Masters to use? It's easy enough to accidently add an extra number, and I assume theres counter-measures planned?

The /rpgivexp <account> <points> allows a negative number of points, so if you gave too much simply do /rpgivexp <account> -40 (for example).

Spera Elusido wrote:Say the server crashed or whatnot...restarted itself...nothing would be lost, right? As in, since it's server-side, how prone is it to being reset? That would really mean alot of work, if that ever happened.

Nothing would be lost if server crashed or restarted, because changes are stored on disk as soon as they occur (when you use /rpgivexp for example). The only reasons the Accounts database could be reset is if it becomes corrupt on disk before the server starts, or if the server crashes while writing changes on disk... but it is very unlikely to happen. Just to be sure we will never face this situation, I'll add something to backup the Accounts before writing changes.