New Saber Stances.

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

I have heard that it has terrible gameplay and glitchy animations (and the videos that were posted seem to agree).

Miza Temar

Post by Miza Temar »

I have found it pretty decent with their newest version. I have foound very little glitches in the animations or anything like that... but its your decsion..I think this mod will add more realism to the sabers.... OJP is not just a mod its a whole different engine ...to allow things to be done that otherwise could not be done...

Just so you know there are two Versions of OJP Basic and enhanced. I reccomend enhanced cause of the enhanced features of the engine.
they just released 1.0 and they got top ten mod at Game flood .
I will be posting the OJP Source very soon so people can look at it.
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Sounds good, is it BaseJKA compatible or does it require a plugin to play as I would guess?

Miza Temar

Post by Miza Temar »

Yep I am pretty sure its Base jka compatible

Anyway here is the source code

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nq9cx4

Have fun.
Aayla Vigil
Lost One

Post by Aayla Vigil »

Even if there are a lot of "wierd" features in it, mostly because it's not the final version, I'm sure that rpmod could take so much from OJP's code, as I wrote some times ago, even Movie Battles II used that code to improve saber detection hits and other features, it must be a very good work.

You can't choose what is right

Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

The version I tried was glitchy and made even less sense to me than the JA saber combat system... oh well.

IMO if someone makes a mistake with the current system, its up to the opponent to take advantage of it, the player shouldnt be penalised by the combat system itself. One can always RP the learning process of combat.

Other than that, the deflection code is nice, more saber blocks would make for more fun and more realism, but the other features can be left out, for what my two cents are worth.
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
Lynee'alin
Exiled

Post by Lynee'alin »

Anyone of you ever played MB2? Do you know how ass boring the saber-duels of MB2 are? What you basically do is keep the block-button pressed down and walk around in circles with the enemy swordsman, do random swings and watch your "fatigue"-bar go down as slow as a leg-less turtle. This is, of course, if you haven't used any of the 100000 glitches or bugs (name it however you want) the duelling-system of MB2 has, or if you haven't been shot down before.
From what I've heard, OJP basically uses the same system: "manual" deflection via block-button and fatigue-system, which is the same boring thing.

Seriously, the current system is relatively nice as it is (although BaseJKA and JA+/RPMod saber-systems are worlds apart, JA+/RPMod duelling is basically totally messed up, whereas BaseJKA is similar to the godlike *bows in respect* JK2 saber-system), and if you change it to any system similar to MB2, OJP or anything else which includes manual block and fatigue, you would drain the little fun which is left out of duels totally.
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

I too am skeptical about such systems. I took the time to read through that list, and while it sounds nice and all, for me it seems incredibly confusing. The problem with such movie-realism mods (MB2 and the like) is that they try to emulate movie combat and everything is based around that. I think that above all they want it to look like the battles in the movies, and that is not always good for gameplay. Base JKA/JA+ mod both have a relatively 'free' saber system, which is good because it allows us to more creatively RP.

I'm open to new ideas, especially ones that improve realism, but for this, I just am hesistant here...

The other problem I possibly forsee is that a lot of the OJP moves have the potential to throw off balance in RPmod, given our current skills/force and class system.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Miza Temar

Post by Miza Temar »

Oh ok....welll you could always just edit the Open Source Jedi Project....

To just have the new stances and nothing else.....I mean it is open source...you can do that....Enhanced has the new sabers system
melee system and all the features, OJP basic is just well the engine...no new saber stances just the added stability of the engine made so modders can build on the bare bones basic engine...

With some creative editing and such you could incorporate Rp mod with the new stances and have none of the other crap.. If thats what you want..

I would do that. If your just looking for the movie stances and you don't want the added effects of the saber system.

For more infor on OJP here is all you will ever need to know.

http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay ... orumid=542

all your questions can be answered there... I would like to have these cool new stances in with the rp mod it would be quite interesting.

Here is what the creator of the OJP said about it please not he said RP like system.

OJP Enhanced version 0.1.0 is the primary project we've spent most of our time on and it modifies a large number of aspects of the multiplayer portion of Jedi Academy. While this mod has many gameplay alternations, the crown jewel of this mod is its heavily modified sabersystem focusing on balanced movie realistic combat. Rather than the jumping, swinging, and missing of base Jedi Academy, our focus is toe to toe blocking, parrying and comboing and alot of other moves. It is very complex so PLEASE READ THE SABER MANUAL. There is also an RP-like system in which weapons, items, and forcepowers can be bought with points earned in battle.

that sums it up i think.

Yours Truly
Miza
Last edited by Miza Temar on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

That all sounds good but I got nothing against everything we have now :? The lightsaber /combat system is fine to me.
Axem Keigoku
Exiled

Post by Axem Keigoku »

Miza, I wonder why you care so much...

At any rate, the only notion of RP both OJP and MBII offers is the Counter-Strike-like battles that grants you points (money) to buy powers or weaponry.

That is not what is seen as Roleplay, but rather a game-match and that winning team is rewarded more than the loosing one. As for the saber, I am in the looks for these kind of features, but it is not something RPMod focuses on, nor within the plans for the future versions.

For now, we will most likely stick to the BaseJka stances, and combat system.

¬ Axem
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

We already don't stick to baseJKA stance... *Cough* Although I agree, we should.

Rash Loist
Lost One

Post by Rash Loist »

Axem Keigoku wrote: At any rate, the only notion of RP both OJP and MBII offers is the Counter-Strike-like battles that grants you points (money) to buy powers or weaponry.

Counter-Strike and Jka?... My lord what has this world come to.