[DONE] Cheat protection

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Larkit
Lost One

[DONE] Cheat protection

Post by Larkit »

It's not really a suggestion to the mod (unless cheats are controlled from there, and not server side), but it didn't really fit into OOC. Move it, if you think it's posted the wrong place.

Well, I decided to make a .cfg file, to add rotation around Larkit controllable with the arrows, so he didn't have to turn around to look to the sides. But it appears, that cg_thirdPersonHorzOffset and cg_[..]VertOffset are cheat protected. It could be nice to have them controllable, if they can't be abused (everything can, but how could these be?).
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

There are a lot of values that are cheat protected. Soh has adjusted a few of these in the up-and-coming version of RPMod.

Asrelia Mhy

Post by Asrelia Mhy »

Larkit, you seem to be into programming/modding, why don't you see if you can help Soh at all with things? Or maybe work independently on things and possibly get them integrated into the mod.
Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

Well, I'm not really into C/C++-programming, which JKA seems to be written in. I work primarily with Java and PHP (and HTML, JavaScript and CSS - and MySQL).

Another thing is, now I'm not sure if you need compile anything when modding, but I would believe you have to. And I don't think I'll be able to compile dll's using GCC, as those are DOS/binaries.
But Soh could probably tell me if I'm right or wrong.
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

Cheats are controlled in the mod, often on the server (game module) but for the case of client Cvars, they are controlled directly in the client with a simple Cvar flag (CVAR_CHEAT). So this thread is in the correct forum :).

For RPMod 0.4.0, the following client Cvars are no longer cheat-only :
- cg_thirdPersonRange
- cg_thirdPersonAngle
- cg_thirdPersonPitchOffset
- cg_thirdPersonVertOffset
- cg_thirdPersonTargetDamp
- cg_thirdPersonHorzOffset

They are especially useful for filming and taking screenshots.

_____ And now, technical details for Larkit ;) _____

The JKA modules available for modding ("game" = server game logic, "cgame" = client game prediction and rendering, "ui" = user interface like menus and windows) are written in C ; for RPMod the extra "Account Manager" module (interfacing with the WebService for the Accounts System) is written in C++ because it's so much better. :P

As with any C/C++ program, you need to compile it to make a native binary, here a shared object (.so) for Linux or a DLL for Windows. The "game" module (server game logic) can be compiled for Linux (as there are Linux game servers), Windows or Mac OS X ; "cgame" and "ui" can be compiled for Windows and Mac OS X. As Jedi Academy sadly has no "engine" (executable like jamp.exe) for Linux, it's pointless to even try compiling "cgame" and "ui" on Linux :( (although it should need little to no work at all).

As for building Windows DLLs from Linux, I'm not sure but I think it might be possible with cross-compilation. I don't know anything about it though.
Larkit
Lost One

Post by Larkit »

That server side binary/source, where might I fetch that for my server (aka old computer that turned out to have a broken graphics card)? I doubt it exists in either .debs or .rpms.

Oh, and I found this page in french about cross-compilation... It's also available in english. Well well, looks like there's something to do, whenever all my other work/projects have finished.
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

The binary Linux JKA server and BaseJKA game module are on JK3files: http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/J ... 1011;20490

.. aswell as the SDK: http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/J ... K_MP;20909
Gabe Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Gabe Alkorda »

Soh Raun wrote:The JKA modules available for modding ("game" = server game logic, "cgame" = client game prediction and rendering, "ui" = user interface like menus and windows) are written in C ; for RPMod the extra "Account Manager" module (interfacing with the WebService for the Accounts System) is written in C++ because it's so much better. Razz

As with any C/C++ program, you need to compile it to make a native binary, here a shared object (.so) for Linux or a DLL for Windows. The "game" module (server game logic) can be compiled for Linux (as there are Linux game servers), Windows or Mac OS X ; "cgame" and "ui" can be compiled for Windows and Mac OS X. As Jedi Academy sadly has no "engine" (executable like jamp.exe) for Linux, it's pointless to even try compiling "cgame" and "ui" on Linux Sad (although it should need little to no work at all).

As for building Windows DLLs from Linux, I'm not sure but I think it might be possible with cross-compilation. I don't know anything about it though.
I was about to say that!