New Force Powers

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Aldia

New Force Powers

Post by Aldia »

I couldn't find any other threads regarding to add new force abilities such as force flying or deflect bolts with telekinesis, though I remember talking about adding the force power to emit flames from your hands a while back.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_Powers

Since ships are able to fly in game, is there someway to change the code to enable characters to fly?

Is there also such thing as a telekinetic shield?

Is there a way to implement some of these new powers?

234.20 [57?]
Beloved Wife, Mother, & Princess

I don't need you to believe in me to make me know I'm worth believing in.
I can stand my own ground & stand proud on my own two feet.
I don't need to be apart of someone else to be complete, what I really need comes from inside of me.

Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

The only other power I'see impemented would be "Blinding" create a flash of light in a similar way mind trick works in game, Instead of making yourself appear invisible though > You'd make the player see nothing but a big blur :)

As for flying, if I ever see a bunch of people flying around the server I think I will cry. The logic is there if they cna levitate things why not themselves but that personally would just be going an iddy bit too far. I think we're okay with the powers available at the moment already :?
Kavar Starkiller
Lost One

Post by Kavar Starkiller »

The powers we have are fine, although some variety could help. None of the flying though.
Light cannot exist without shadow.
RP Age: 27
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

I'm not going to push Soh to add new powers until near the completion of RPMod, there is a lot of other work that needs to be done first.

As far as flying goes, the day I see flying in the RPMod, I'll quit JEDI. There really isn't anything like flying in canon, only levitation near a solid surface, and it was a very difficult power that only the most powerful Jedi could master. Flames, this is also something that I'd leave over, lol. Let's think about realism, people.

As far as a telekinetic shield goes, that's exactly what Force Protect is. Also, Force Protect already deflects blaster bolts.
Last edited by Corinth Alkorda on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Kavar Starkiller
Lost One

Post by Kavar Starkiller »

Indeed.
Light cannot exist without shadow.
RP Age: 27
Ergo Stomi
Lost One

Post by Ergo Stomi »

Like Corinth said, instead of adding new powers, its best to get all the Kinks out of everything now instead of that.
Although, once those kinks are gone, it would be neat to see powers we already have, be expanded on. IE, telekinetic powers being able to effect things like ships. And hold being able to be used on items.

"...a burning brand to your enemies, a brilliant fire to your friends."
| age _ 52| height _ 1.89 meters | weight _ 95.1 kilograms | race _ kel.dor | mentor _ rash.loist | padawans _ larkit / johauna.darkrider / daereon.daimon |
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

I know that in Canon, Jedi have been known to fly but I just don't think that would make a good force power at all.

it would just ruin RP to see everyone flying around the sky like superman with a "no clip" effect. Besides, everyone is going to want it and before you know it, people will be having in-air spars like Neo.

Just my thought on the matter.

Aayla Vigil
Lost One

Post by Aayla Vigil »

I agree with Vantus on that, the fact that force powers are seen from most people like abilities that any Jedi excel on, independently from which power or how many powers, doesn't seem to be very convincing.

As far as every Jedi can "push and pull" no one would be surprised, but seeing an academy full of jedi-birds flying around the halls woud be really sick. I hope that on such force powers there would be a wide restrinctions.

You can't choose what is right

Aeon Xarbon
Lost One

Post by Aeon Xarbon »

Yeah, I agree as well. THOUGH, levitation used to safely land from a high place, could be used to stop fall damage. Watch on of the Clone Wars: Animated Series episode, where Count Dooku jumped down from a hefty height and slowed his fall to a mere hop. I agree with Vantus as well, the whole flying thing will make everyone wanna be all Dragon Ball Z-ish, plus, adding it after the completion and getting all the other kinks out that we have already would probably benefit more than adding more to the pot and spoiling it.

Good idea, Aldia with the telekentic blockage and levitation, hopefully after the mod is done and we give Soh a break we'll be able to test it out! ^.^
Asrelia Mhy

Post by Asrelia Mhy »

Flight is said to be uber-concentrated levitation, and is only exampled by a handful. So it seems that it wasn't universal. (Sort of like how storm isn't universal, yet everyone is zapping s*** left and right)

Most of the Force powers listed in that WP article are from the KOTOR series, and despite it being canon, most of the KOTOR game details were primarily for mechanics and gameplay, and not necessarily reference.

JEDI doesn't need any more Force powers, especially if they're labor intensive.
Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

Levitation - a bit silly, pretty much only slows the decent of the fall, when I saw Dooku do it in the clone wars Cartoons I saw a Dracula reference gone too far.

Deflection - the effect occurs with high levels of protect and force push deflects anything except blaster fire. It can also be fudged RP wise - you will only need that ability (the few that may learn it) on a Mission, these happen infrequently thus no need to add it to the power set.

SO many abilities exist that were developed purely for Game mechanics, but many more exist in the EU.

Masters pass on new abilities to their students, be patient and see what you pick up in the RP. We don't need to add new Force abilities, offensive, defensive or otherwise EVEN if bringing back the ol' Mysteries of the Sith deadly sight or destruction would be cool, think about these powers in terms of you as a Jedi and realism.

EVERY Force ability you acquire must be learned, RP'd, practiced each day, etcetera...

For all the wonderment RPmod brings us, TWO things make JEDI worth playing - the people and the RP.

A Jedi doesn't use the Force as a crutch. Let's not rely on game mechanics.
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
Yon Vash
Lost One

Post by Yon Vash »

Dooku could have totally done that with ease, he was a 10th lvl Jedi master before he retired.

But I'm on the fence. :roll:
Moza Ferorn
Lost One

Post by Moza Ferorn »

This probably wouldnt be a force power, but what if we changed the affect of meditation to where you are floating in mid air?
|age_33|height_1.95m|weight_82kg|race_ithorian|mentor_gabe.alkorda|padawan_valon.rachius|li.andru
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

The problem with adding new force powers is people always find a way to exploit them and use them for laming and generally bugging other people.
(telekenisis and mind trick anyone? :roll: )

That said, a forcepower I always wanted to see was a sort of "Area of Effect" push. The effect would be the same as force push but instead of aiming it in a cone-direction, the effect would stem from around the player.

An example would be for a player to jump into a circle of NPCs and use the ability, sending everyone within the circle away from the player, rather than the ones straight infront.

There are a few things you could do to prevent inappropriate usage of this:

1) give it a high XP raiting, meaining you need to master Push before you can assign it.
2) Reduce the effective range so that it only works on players/NPCs that are close to the player. A much shorter range than push and pull.
3) Give it a high FP drain so that it can't be spammed.

A good animation would be the default Rage animation where the player falls to a kneel and then stands again.

Arikakon Genkal
Lost One

Post by Arikakon Genkal »

Vantus wrote:That said, a forcepower I always wanted to see was a sort of "Area of Effect" push. The effect would be the same as force push but instead of aiming it in a cone-direction, the effect would stem from around the player.

An example would be for a player to jump into a circle of NPCs and use the ability, sending everyone within the circle away from the player, rather than the ones straight infront.
...Isn't that already Push 4 and 5?

"Laws are like sausages. You don't want to see them being made." ~Otto von Bismarck