Special XP

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Syrena Exan
Lost One

Special XP

Post by Syrena Exan »

Anyone who was in JEDI before the mod remembers the old way of gaining XP. We were given either a regular xp point for base powers, or a specialized point for more advanced ones. We even had to keep track of what we were told the point had to be used on. I sort of miss this, because lately I see a lot of people just gaining xp and applying it to whatever power they feel like using, whether they've been taught it or not. This has got me wondering. Is there a way to program multiple types of xp into the mod? Like, physical xp for physical things, telekentic, basic force powers, advanced, saber xp, ect.

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

That's a good idea, but it would add another string to the command, which isn't a massive deal for admins, but probably alot of work for Soh.

Perhaps something like

Code: Select all

rpgivexp name quantity type
If no type is specified, it is generic xp for any use, but if it is specified it is limited to specific abilites... however I think this might get too confusing, you'd have 3 pools of xp to keep track of.

Instead, I reccomend that Knights/Masters are a bit more prescriptive with the xp grant write up in journals.

For example, if the training has been on cloaking/mind tricking the knight could write up

((+3xp granted to Mind trick ))

Ultimately, if XP types are possible with the mod, it'd be amazing... if not, journal stipulations will probably suffice.
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Very good idea, If this is possible i'd like to see it too.

It kind of bugs me how people seem to self-train themselves in abilities that they haven't even had one formal lesson on.

People contest that force jump and speed don't count but I think they do.
In the end they are still force powers. A non-force user couldn't practice how to jump 15 feet in the air.

Assigning specific XP based on the lesson would be good. If people feel they are getting too much XP in one field and not enough in another, then they should request training in a different area to obtain that specific set of XP points.

Blavek Araven
Lost One

Post by Blavek Araven »

I like it to, although I've not fully experianced this yet, it makes thing's more realistic and appropriate in a way ^_^.

born_241.06|homeworld_uvena.prime|mentor_rash.loist_shimi.zaki|padawans_z'phos|

>>> Secondary Character GR-7 <<<

Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

MY Master tells me where my xp goes and I can only put it on waht he knows I've been taught >_>
He makes sure I don't do precisely that o_O
Aayla Vigil
Lost One

Post by Aayla Vigil »

I strongly nod to this thread, in fact I noticed smething that we could call a degeneration of how force powers are learnt.

If this could be of any use for others, I'll write my anectote just to show how different it was once:
at the beginning I remember how I strictly got a new force power only when I was taught of it RPwise; often I didn't have enough experience to get that skill suddenly after training for that ability, but whenever I could find a chance to be taught of it I gathered that as prelude of what would have come later with points asignment. This way I was actually learning that skill RPwise, I was learning OOC what that skill is truly about, I was learning the limits of that skill, and how to exaplin how it works IC again (feedback).
This is not the only problem, because the same problem would easily show up in "advancing of a force power". It's unreasonable that a character develops a stronger push, a higher jump, see through the walls just suddenly. If you have the points to select an advanced force power, this doesn't allow you to RP that you increased that skill THAT MUCH suddenly, at least you need to RP it took some pratice, with a gradual improvement.

What I'm trying to say is that if one actually decides to increase his RP quality, he can easily do it by following the most obvious things like these.
Learning a force power cannot be justified by going to classes ONLY, it is something that requires a true comprehension of what the force power is (RPwise of course), and a plausible reason of how you learnt it.

I still remember when it went over, a long time ago some new initiates (I don't remember who, and anyway I wouldn't accuse them just because probably they weren't even aware of this argument) coming out from a class (unrelated to any force power training) said "Look! I can jump higher now! ::jumps a few times around ---Four times higher than he could just 20 minutes ago---::".

But some might say that some skills could be gained without particular training, after all anyone could RP that he developed that skill slowly in time, not even noticing it (which would be already better than the one coming out from the class and atonished by how high he could suddenly jump),
but there is a deeper question behind all this:
What if these initiates who gained these powers in such a way, one day will have to teach it to others?
With the quality of RP we are used to here, I believe it is an unacceptable lack of knowledge being able to perform force powers, but not being able to explain how RPwise you perform them.

You can't choose what is right

Yon Vash
Lost One

Post by Yon Vash »

Nivek wrote:MY Master tells me where my xp goes and I can only put it on what he knows I've been taught >_>
I have always done this anyway as to comply with good RP sense. :D

Otherwise I would have saber 5 and saber defense 5 or something foolish like that.

I think it should be up the the master of the student to regulate his XP. and SUGGEST where it be placed. :roll:
Ergo Stomi
Lost One

Post by Ergo Stomi »

Most Masters do watch where their Padawans put their XP, at least they should. But there isn't as much control over initiates.

"...a burning brand to your enemies, a brilliant fire to your friends."
| age _ 52| height _ 1.89 meters | weight _ 95.1 kilograms | race _ kel.dor | mentor _ rash.loist | padawans _ larkit / johauna.darkrider / daereon.daimon |
Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

When I was an initiate I would only put it on Core powers - because at some point I'd already been shown how to use them at Soh's class. I didn't learn anything other than saber/core till I was under Corinth
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

I don't know.. Personally I like to be told when to assign a point.
I don't like the idea of looking around.. making sure nobody is watching... and then sneaking a point onto Force Jump because I want to.

Force points need to be moderated. I could simply add 2 points to jump right now seeing as I have no force points active and 40XP waiting in the bank. If anyone asks how I got those 2 points, I can just say "Oh i've been practicing myself" and nobody can do a single thing to prove otherwise.

I don't think thats right.

Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

Let the students choose where to put their XP and when... it's their character. If they want to elaborately roleplay learning new powers, so be it. If they just want to say 'I practiced', so be it. Not everyone wants to RP every single increase in template.

As a Knight, I put XP where I want, when I want, for any reason I want, and I don't feel bad about it.

But that's just me :twisted:

Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

To be honest, I don't see a need for this. Initiates are at a low enough level that they can't usually add a power that they wouldn't reasonably have learned in the Force/Saber classes that they take daily at the Academy, and after that, your Master is there to guide you in what you wish to learn. Ellaborating on what Nivek said, if we train for a week or so on, let's say Protect, when he gets XP granted for it I make sure to remind him that it needs to go to that power. I know a few mentors that do the same thing, and it's a good system. I don't see a need to add extra code for something that can be so easily solved through proper XP management.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Jude Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Jude Alkorda »

Nivek wrote:MY Master tells me where my xp goes and I can only put it on waht he knows I've been taught >_>
For sure, Wah...

No but seriously I think this is a good idea. I also see where Vantus is coming from 100%, for instance as someone who spent a RL week rping how to learn protect for instance with my Master, it is frustrating seeing people just like, gain points and immediately they've learned it. Especially those initiates! Jokes. I concur that people should stick with core powers until being picked up by for padawanhood.
That's Commodore Alkorda to you...
By Alkaiser Aruladan
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

I think as is there is pretty good regulation. Most cases where anything serious happens are rare.

I also don't think it's fair to blame any one group for this, as when it happens it is both under-enforcement and careless power selection.

Maybe we just need to issue a reminder to all JEDI members to be very mindful with alloting their XP appropriately. I think that's all that is necessary.

But before it gets off-topic here, let's remember the original suggestion, as that is what this thread is for. If we want to discuss how XP enforcement is in JEDI, let's move to Jedi Discussion or another such forum.

|age_44|height_1.83m|weight_80kg|race_fondorian|
mentor_jamus.kevari|padawans_nira'kalen'nuruodo_ian.prine

Asrelia Mhy

Post by Asrelia Mhy »

If someone in JEDI doesn't have the capacity to correctly allocate their experience points they should lose them.

I'd like to read a specific example, rather than these hypothetical examples.