[DONE] Mind Trick/Illusions

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

[DONE] Mind Trick/Illusions

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

While I was on the server, Master Xan used the Mind Trick ability but briefly, but since I wasn't looking at him, I only detected the fact by the sound that automatically sounds when the ability is activated. It occurs to me, though - doesn't that contradict the idea behind the power? If everyone knows by listening that someone is using a Mind Trick, it's an automatic trigger to switch on your Force Sense.

As you're probably aware, that wouldn't happen in real life (well, you know what I mean), so I was wondering if perhaps it might be an idea to remove the sound for the power, such that it can be used as intended, so that people don't know that the ability is being used unless they observe it directly. As such, it makes the Mind Trick a good deal more subtle to use.

Just a thought.
Yon Vash
Lost One

Post by Yon Vash »

Sounds good to me, no sense having an ability that you can't use right!

Good call.
Iverian Prey

Post by Iverian Prey »

That's actually a brilliant idea, I think. :o
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

I've made this suggestion several times, but people tend to disagree because they want to know what's happening in the game mechanics (although, I don't know why. It's completely unrealistic).

Personally, I support this 100%. All Force power sounds should be removed except for those that would physically make a sound in the Star Wars universe, in my opinion.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Alanya Sgall
Lost One

Post by Alanya Sgall »

I'd love to see the sound from Mind Trick removed. Many a fun training sessions were ruined by people hearing its' sound, then running around with Seeing trying to spot the 'Tricker.

I'd have to agree with Corinths' suggestion aswell. I'd like to see some of the Force sounds removed for powers that you'd think wouldn't have sounds for them.
Rash Loist for Jedi Master!
Yon Vash
Lost One

Post by Yon Vash »

OH YEAH! 8)
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Pretty sure all the sounds are client side.

Copy the folder path of sound/weapons/force into a new pk3 file and make a replacement sound file that is just a recording of no sound for all the powers you want to mute, save and apply to your RPmod folder or your base folder.

But Cyril and I just went over EP2 and 3 where Yoda uses absorb, and there is a fading wa-wa-wa-wa sound, kinda like when the Falcon doesn't start in the OT.
Yon Vash
Lost One

Post by Yon Vash »

Does that solve the problem of everyone else hearing us mind trick or whatever?
Aeon Xarbon
Lost One

Post by Aeon Xarbon »

You know what else is annoying that EVERYONE does. When someone opens a door or walks out/in a room..and four or five people sense. That sound is extremely annoying. I actually sit in my chair and count down until someone hits F4 or whatever it's bound to. Mind Trick too..if you're making yourself unnoticable by the force..why would you openly make a sound?

HEY LOOK AT ME I'M GONNA TURN INVISIBLE!

I support that sound being removed as well, if it's client side that's also cool. And what about Force Speed? When I ran my high school track, I'm pretty sure I didn't have the sound of a hovercraft when I decided to gun it in the 100M Dash. Maybe we should look into that sound wise as well. It was really cool in SP when you didn't necessarily speed up, everything else just slowed down tremendously. MP-wise I think that goes against the game mechanics or something? (Completely unknowledgible on how you guys do what you guys do.)

...and I think that's all I got. :)
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

Yon Vash wrote:Does that solve the problem of everyone else hearing us mind trick or whatever?
No, since its only at your end. The next RPmod release could include a file that overrides all the base sounds, but thats up to Soh really.

But right now, I'm working on developing a mod to replace the Force power sounds. I'll post it in the OOC board somewhere when its finished.
Iverian Prey

Post by Iverian Prey »

It seems many of us will be installing it then. :) Looking forward to it.
Tythos Sondetsu

Post by Tythos Sondetsu »

This is why I originally had no interest in the Mind Trick ability. :wink:

Mind Trick in it's current state, feels largely useless since it's just an indicator to activate Sense. With the sound taken out, not only would the ability be used in it's original intention, it will enhance gameplay in that those who prefer a "tactical" approach to their combat style will be able to properly apply it rather than having to rely on pure upfront lightsaber combat. It can also benefit those who normally lack saber skills.

Now that it's been mentioned, Sense should definitely have it's sound removed as well. It can also enhance gameplay in that the Jedi's opponent (be them Jedi or non-Jedi) will be unaware that the Jedi is aware of their location. I believe this deception has been utilized by the Jedi many times. And of course, no one in the films made a sound when they sensed someone and it would cut down on every day temple annoyance. Speed I'm more indifferent on since it wouldn't really make a large difference to the user or opponent if it was removed.

And of course, the change would have to be server-based since if the client just modified their own sound, they would only be hurting themselves.
Corinth Alkorda
Lost One

Post by Corinth Alkorda »

Yon Vash wrote:Does that solve the problem of everyone else hearing us mind trick or whatever?
Nope.
race_human | mentor_axem.keigoku | padawans_cookanaka / kero.zen / bram.philipi / jude.alkorda / nivek.tholmai / aknaross.myotis / lena.aleksandrovna / sasha.raven|
Nivek Tholmai
Lost One

Post by Nivek Tholmai »

I've argued this before, there was one occassion I didn't want to be seen and saw two people ahead so, naturally used mind trick to quietly slip by without disturbing them and surely enough at the sound of the ability, the person in question tapped the ol' F4 key and spun the mouse around a few times and stopped on where I was standing to call out "Hey Nivek!"
This resulted in a large frown. =_=
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

I'm up for having it taken off. :)

As somebody that has neither Force Sense nor Mind Trick, i'd still like to see it gone.

Especially with Force Sense, as more people have it and more people use it.
The noise of the Force Sense ability is almost like a soundtrack on the server.